4 comments

American Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction

As I sit on the front porch, on a crisp cool autumn day, I'm sipping my nice warm coffee. I start to reflect on years ago. Years of coming of age. I jokingly refer to these memories as my young n dumb moments. Luckily these years were before technology took over our lives. As they are today, with pictures and video on a constant loop. These times in my mind start with a bunch of neighborhood kids being outside. Riding their bikes. Riding skateboards on a home made skateboard ramp. A big boombox with 80s rock blaring. These were good times. Having sleepovers, watching scary movies. Bad, big hairdos with enough hairspray to kill enough ozone layers for generations to come.

I remember being a very small girl growing up in a small town. Where everyone knew everyone. Friends parents could verbally discipline you if you had it coming. One day, I was playing outside when I saw a baby bird being born. I was about 8 years old. The reason I remember this memory is the feeling it gave me. I was so in Awe of this new life happening before my very eyes. A beautiful memory. I think of all the adulting moments. We forget these sweet times. You know the ones. The simplicity of youth. It makes me sad that I don't have more memories like these, to come back to visit on days like today.

Looking back, there are many young n dumb teen moments, that taught me the importance of self respect and trust. Like the first time I got caught lying to my parents. That taught me how bad it feels to hurt those I love. How honesty trumps a lie always. No matter the consequence. I remember the first time I got caught skipping school. If your parent asks how your math class was, they probably know something. (Ha Ha.)

The neighborhood kids and I were about 12 years old. We all decided together to take a beach day. Instead of learning about math or history. We took a city bus to the mall, and took another city bus to the sunny beach. As an adult and a parent, I can now see why our parents were so concerned. So many things could have gone horribly wrong with our safety. Luckily nothing bad happened. Of course our younger selves would disagree. We thought it was a huge unjust action to be grounded for months. Was it worth it? My fun younger version says heck yes. But kids don't usually see danger like adults do, right?! The length of time it took to regain our parents trust doesn't make it worth it.

I had a good childhood. I had alot of life lessons teach me things I could never learn from a lecture or book. Life was just so different back then. Kids are seen and not heard was not how I grew up. My feelings were heard and validated. Unfortunately not all my friends back then had the same. My house was one of the hangouts. My door was always open, and my friends were always welcomed. We had alot of good times. My parents were "cool" Don't tell them I said that.....

We never realize how cool our parents were at the time. We think the opposite actually. Until they are no longer around. I'm sure my kids didn't know how cool their parents were either.....

I just hope they see their younger years as fun ones. I hope they have some memories they hold near and dear. Just as my memory book has of when they were small. Moments they can remember how they were made to feel.

Another memory is when my parents went on a cruise for a week. My older sister came to stay with me and my brother who was 4 years older than me. I was about 13 or 14 years old. We didn't think we needed a babysitter. I played dumb like I couldn't find my school when my sister was driving me. So apparantly I did need adult supervision. I had a musical play at school that my sister went to. The song was "Celebration " by Kool And The Gang. We were instructed to do a group dance and walk off the stage and bring a parent or sibling in stage to dance with us. We were supposed to let them know before hand. I thought it funny to surprise her. Let's just say, she was relieved when my parents came home. (HaHa) These are all the moments I like to remember. Like a little time machine in my mind.

Of course, there are some traumatic times I remember too. When I was 13 years old, one of my best friends had to move with his family. They moved from Florida to New York. My friends name is Anthony. He was like a brother to me. I was very upset when he moved. Anthony was a very talented guitar player. Him and my friend Frank would play for the neighborhood kids. Anthony was funny and adorable. One day in New York, he skipped school. He took his uncle's car without him knowing. Him and a few kids he met went joy riding. They had a bad accident. Luckily everyone survived. But the injuries were critical. Anthony was in a coma. I remember being so scared for him and his family. I'll never forget how I felt regarding a bad experience. When he woke from the coma, he had to re-learn everything. How to walk, eat on his own. He could no longer play guitar. He tried for years. He took lessons. But could never grasp even the proper way to hold it. Also he couldn't understand how to place his fingers on the different chords. It was just heartbreaking. He had so much passion for music. If you knew him back in the day, you thought of Ant......you heard a guitar playing. Years later he had made peace with all of it. If you ask me after that accident if it's worth it to skip school.....that's a hard NO!!

Just as I remember fondly a little 8 year old girl witnessing a baby bird enter the world. And the sweet feeling it gave me. I remember the fear and trauma of a good friend getting hurt in an accident that could have been avoided. It's all about emotions we have. The good, bad, and the ugly.

The most important life lesson I've ever learned is about how life is what you make of it. It's about choices we make and the consequences of said choices. Even if we make bad decisions, as long as we learn from them, they are not wasted. The thing about being young n dumb is the fact that you can grow up to be older and wiser.

July 10, 2021 05:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Miss Kandulna
06:47 Jul 22, 2021

The title and the story is deeply reflected. I liked the writing about parents and the real memories of being young adult.

Reply

Mandy Yates
18:26 Jul 22, 2021

Thank you so very much. Your kind words are deeply appreciated.

Reply

Miss Kandulna
17:28 Jul 30, 2021

Make some time to checkout my stories too.

Reply

Mandy Yates
20:07 Jul 30, 2021

I definitely will and look forward to reading your stories.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.