Vanishing Point

Submitted into Contest #221 in response to: Write a story from a ghost’s point of view.... view prompt

27 comments

Romance Coming of Age Contemporary

Time stopped for me one Saturday night a year ago, at eleven-thirty-five p.m. I’d no sense of danger as I meandered home in the dark and if there was an omen present in the stars, then I missed all the signs. That’s not surprising because I’m not superstitious and my attention was elsewhere as I approached the crossroads.

Sylvie and I had argued earlier about my impromptu night out, and she’d sent endless messages to my phone expressing her annoyance. It was nothing to get upset about and I ought to have apologised rather than exchanged contentious kerbside texts.

Ping! Ping! Ping!  

More messages appeared in the palm of my hand as I listened out for traffic. I wasn’t in the mood for a shouting match and suggested she ought to calm down and back off.

The green traffic light changed to amber as I rattled off my ill-chosen words.

Ping! Ping! 

I should have ignored her hasty responses when the traffic signal turned red, but I glanced down at my phone. The pedestrian crossing bleeped somewhere behind me as I stepped forward, tapping out a reply, oblivious to the oncoming vehicle. 

Thwump!

I’d barely set foot on the glistening tarmac before my future was decided. The collision’s devastating impact threw me upward, and I heard a furious screech. I completed an ungainly mid-air somersault and the Pontiac Firebird flew into a concrete lamp post. Its horn started honking like an irate goose and I hit the asphalt head first, still clutching my phone. 

#

The pungent stench of scorched rubber seared the back of my throat as I lay motionless in a dishevelled heap. It seemed like forever before I heard the creak of the car’s twisted door open ajar and spotted two blood-shot eyes peering out. The driver’s unshaven jaw jutted below his bruised face and he surveyed the carnage, considering the options. Overhead, the traffic lights changed to green, but all remained still at the junction. There’d been no passing vehicles or pedestrians present to witness our collision; we were both frozen in a nightmarish tableau.

The harsh scrape of a rickety sash-window interrupted the moment, and a woman screamed obscenities into the night’s starless void. Her angry voice had fierce competition from the Pontiac’s relentless honking, but it was strident enough to draw attention from her neighbours. The driver’s leather-soled boots crunched on fragments of glass as he stumbled out, gripping the doorframe with tattooed hands. I tried to call out, but my shattered chest wheezed in agony like an undignified party balloon, lacking the manners to deflate in silence or the enthusiasm to burst and be damned. The driver cursed under his breath as he backed away, abandoning his car at the junction. His eyes darted about as he fled from the yells of residents appearing at their apartment windows.

My eyelids flickered in pitiful spasms as I struggled to remain conscious. My world darkened as hypnotic mandalas danced in front of me before dissolving into lurid, pulsing specular highlights. The frequency and intensity of the visual disturbances diminished until they vanished from view and all went black. 

#

Time had ceased and my head felt full of air. 

My limbs were weightless and all the pain had disappeared.

I opened my eyes and drew a sharp intake of breath because I was hovering up in the air above the crash site. My crumpled body was still lying on the ground below.

This isn't real, I told myself. It's just a dream. 

The crossroads beneath me looked like a child’s scale model of an imaginary accident in a toy town. Miniature emergency vehicles arrived in a blaze of flashing blue lights, and tiny uniformed figures scurried about like ants in a sugar bowl.

The Pontiac’s V-8 engine was still chugging fumes and dribbling condensation from the exhaust pipe when the medics arrived. From my vantage point on high, I watched them insert a cannula in my arm and attach a plasma bag. They attempt mouth-to-mouth and chest compressions, which achieved little more than squeezing my shattered sternum and increasing the amount of structural damage to my diaphragm. 

Their best hope was the defibrillator.

Stand back! 

Those guys mean business.

Clear!

There’s a spine twisting jolt. 

Then it felt like being sucked down by a plughole.

Imagine, if you can, falling from a cloud on a bungee rope.  

An irresistible force pulled me downwards on an invisible tether. 

With arms outstretched, I saw tiny sparks fly from my finger-tips to my rigid body. 

I was millimetres away from recovering my life before an unseen celestial force catapulted me back up to my ‘seat in the gods.’

The second time they administered the shock, the vortex drew me down again, but I got nowhere close to my shattered body and zipped up again.

The third attempt at resuscitation almost worked. 

It felt as though I might have had a chance, having made a positive connection. 

There was an air of expectation amongst the crowd attending my recovery. 

My eyes fluttered open for a moment, but that was all that happened. 

I couldn’t hold on. 

The spark of life had gone. 

I flew upward one last time; then nothing. 

My mortal coil slackened, and I felt its eternal grip relax. The connection to the physical world drifted away from me. It was like watching a severed umbilical cord floating away from a placenta in a cavernous womb.

#

I could hear the activity at the crossroads and watched them manoeuvre my tortured remains onto a stretcher before loading it into the back of the ambulance. I studied that dark-stained spot on the ground where I’d collapsed, as if it were the one true thing in the world, which it was. 

My resting place.

#

An officer removed the keys from the firebird’s ignition and gave instructions to the vehicle recovery team to protect vulnerable bodywork from additional scratches. Before hauling it onto the low loader, they wrapped chains round its axles and swathed it in a loose-fitting tarpaulin until it resembled a last-minute Christmas gift, presented in haste to avoid social embarrassment.

From up above, my last impression of the Pontiac was the Phoenix design on the crumpled hood; its beady eye peaking up at me between the tarpaulin sheets. I recall thinking how the car looked incongruous, hanging in mid-air as if they were training it to take to the skies and fly away. 

No doubt they’ll straighten out the vehicle’s dents, adjust the paintwork, and someone else will have the pleasure of charging through town at a hundred miles an hour.

#

Time was broken. My way of measuring is gone now. Before the crash, my work-life marked the hours and days of the week; client meetings, risk assessments, and endless reports and responses; training sessions in summer and professional development in the winter. The weeks, months and seasons revolved in procession, each day a series of sequential vistas.

It also occurred to me, what a relief it to vanish off the face of the earth, escaping the corrosive tedium of a rigid daily routine and to vanish in a dream, out of my body in spirit form. Chains clattering empty to the floor. But that was before I grasped the unbearable notion of forevermore and total freedom.

#

The Pontiac itself was a point of no return. Time is a rear-view mirror now, the past rushing backward to the vanishing point. I recall a visit to my former home and standing in our lounge while Sylvie boxed-up my former worldly possessions with her back turned. It was too sad to bear, so sad that it gave me a breathless, choking feeling to witness it. Somehow, my disappearance was already gone.

I had already turned into a memory, a ghost. 

#

Sylvie blamed herself, of course. When they examined my phone records and uncovered my data usage, they revealed her frenzied messages. They surmised that I’d been reading them as I strolled off the curb into the path of the speeding Pontiac.

The lawyers didn’t spare her the details at the coroner’s inquest. Each sordid accusation and undeserved piece of malice painted its own picture and portrayed her in a poor light. Not that my demise was her fault. However, the insurance company was keen to reduce the proceeds given to my next of kin; citing her influence on my mental health and apportioning blame. In the end, nobody benefitted from my life insurance and the event wounded everyone. And I now have eternity to wander and wonder how to fill my days. I’ve no shelf life and no end date in sight. I exist between heaven and Earth till the end of time. When my family and friends remember me nowadays, it’s as an eternal twenty-seven-year-old who died before his time.

 

 

 

THE END



October 28, 2023 03:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Shirley Medhurst
23:20 Oct 31, 2023

What a tragic tale, very well told! I was totally on the edge of my seat at the moment of the defibrillator. Your descriptions of teetering between life and death were so vivid. Well done 👏

Reply

Edward Roberts
03:20 Nov 23, 2023

I also really enjoyed the description of being pulled back and forth between life and death, especially the bungee cord analogy. Tragic story but I still got the impression that the ghost himself was not terribly upset over his circumstances so it wasn’t a huge downer!

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:39 Nov 23, 2023

Hi Edward, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I think the ghost’s demeanour will change as events progress and the reality of an eternity in limbo becomes more apparent…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
13:10 Nov 01, 2023

Hi Shirley, Thank you for taking the time to read my latest story and share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Karen Corr
13:56 Oct 28, 2023

A tragic loss that shouldn’t have been. Thanks Howard!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:31 Oct 28, 2023

Hey Karen, Thank you for reading my latest. I hope you enjoyed it… Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
10:21 Feb 27, 2024

Excellent story. These are the types of things that I'm driven to do. I had an after-death experience when I was 18., and it was pretty similar to your description. I'm glad that I took a few minutes to read this masterpiece. Thank you.

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:11 Feb 28, 2024

Hey Darvico, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
00:53 Jan 24, 2024

Hi Howard, An extremely well-written story, and a strangely quixotic misadventure. I wondered why he was alone in the afterlife, but perhaps it was temporary. I was a bit confused by the first of these two sentences. 'Somehow, my disappearance was already gone. I had already turned into a memory, a ghost.' However, the uncanny lack of emotions possessed by the main character conveys a stunning authenticity to the narration.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:49 Jan 24, 2024

Hello Ken, Thank you for leaving your positive feedback and raising some intriguing questions. 1- Concerning the solitude; that’s a temporary state and will inevitably change as he explores the boundaries of his new domain. 2- Concerning the lack of emotions; he’s coming to terms with limbo and the reality of his after life; possibly in a state of shock…. I hope that helps…. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
01:36 Nov 03, 2023

Aww the last line really hurt. He was only 27 :( Well done !

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:50 Nov 03, 2023

Hey Hannah, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. Concerning your comment about the age, you know what they say; ”Only the good die young….” Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Corwin
20:04 Nov 01, 2023

Liked it! 👍 I Loved the descriptions, they are exceptional! I'm sorry he's wandering forever. Check out my story - a different type of ending for a ghost.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:19 Nov 02, 2023

Hey Andrea, Thank you for reading story and sharing your positive thoughts; they’re much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
13:57 Nov 01, 2023

I liked your use of imagery throughout this story. It lightened the heavier load of the death. The image of the deflating party balloon contrasted his life leaking out like the air nicely. And quite the existential ending here!

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:16 Nov 01, 2023

Hi Nina, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you enjoyed it and pleased you appreciated the use of imagery. I was trying to paint a visual sub text which can be tricky at times and embarrassing when it’s done badly, so it’s relief to discover I might have achieved a modest level of success. Take care HH

Reply

Nina H
14:32 Nov 01, 2023

I smiled at your reply because I feel the same way about writing. I worry it missed the mark at times, and hold my breath at how it’s taken. I think you wrote this well and I enjoyed the use of visuals and how you painted them! 👏🏻

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:42 Nov 01, 2023

Aw shucks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:33 Nov 01, 2023

Hi Howard. Your story is so visceral and raw when it came to the brutal end of life scenes, I was unable to stop reading. An excellent read and what an apt conclusion. A great sense of a wasted life. Well done.

Reply

Howard Halsall
13:21 Nov 01, 2023

Hi Helen, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed it and that’s as much as any writer can ask for…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tim Shuman
07:27 Nov 01, 2023

The story is relatable in today’s hyper connected world. Keep your own eyes up sir. 😊

Reply

Howard Halsall
13:17 Nov 01, 2023

Hi Tim, I’ll take your advice and also thank you for reading my story and responding. I’m pleased you enjoyed and glad it rang true. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gareth Walcroft
00:47 Nov 01, 2023

An easy read full of emotion, well done mate.

Reply

Howard Halsall
13:14 Nov 01, 2023

Hi Gareth, Thank you for your positive thoughts and encouragement; very much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:41 Oct 31, 2023

Great story, and very well told!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
01:22 Oct 29, 2023

Phone hazard. Thanks for liking my 'Run,Forest, Run'

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:22 Oct 29, 2023

Very succinct :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.