1 comment

General

Sometimes I wonder if the weather plays a part in serendipity. Perhaps a rainy day kept you safely indoors on the very day there was a dangerous bank heist. Or maybe a streak of lightning struck nearby, jolting you right into the arms of your future spouse. Sometimes, people are brought together by forces that seem beyond our understanding. Today, it was the wind.

They don't call it the windy city for nothing. Chicago is notorious for it's brisk gusts of wind. I trudged along the sidewalk, head bent down and shoulders slumped forward. On particularly cold days, people tend to walk in a slanted fashion, bracing themselves against the air's chilly breath. My legs picked up their pace in an attempt to outrun the cold.

Icy gales sliced across my cheek making my nose and eyes water. I could feel my toes going numb, despite the extra pair of socks I threw on that morning. I rummaged through my coat pocket and pulled out my phone. I struggled to text my mother as I could barely keep my eyes open or feel my fingers. It was like I had icicles attached to each of my hands.

It was at that moment that a particularly large gale came billowing through. It stole the breath from my body and threatened to knock me off my feet. Desperate for solace, I pushed myself through the nearest door.

Warmth rushed over me and I sighed in relief. Teeth chattering and nose sniffling, I scanned my random choice of refuge. It was a coffee shop. It was comforting with dim hanging lamps, cozy booths, and homey wooden furniture. I purchased a warm coffee and slid into one of the booths.

As my hands wrapped around the mug, trying to absorb it's warmth, I watched the people walking by through the window. I noticed how everyone looked at their feet. Except one person. A determined woman had her eyes trained on the coffee shop. I quietly observed her make her way through the doors and into line. I gripped the mug tighter as the woman carried in an icy chill from outside.

A few minutes passed, and I continued to observe the people walking by. I'd almost forgotten about the lady on a mission when I felt hot liquid splash onto my thigh. I jolted up in surprise, only to see the once determined face of the mysterious woman now looking a mixture of mortified and apologetic. She apparently had tripped, and spilled her latte in consequence.

"I'm so sorry! Is it hot? Are you okay? Here, let me get you some napkins."

Before I could respond, she scurried off in a quest for napkins. When she returned to my rescue I said, "No worries! It happens."

"Oh no, I feel terrible! I can't believe how clumsy I can be sometimes. The guy working here is so nice, though. He saw me spill my drink and offered to get me a new one, free of charge."

"Good to know kindness still exists," I said.

"Right? I'm Rachel by the way. 'Rachel The Girl Who Spilled Her Drink On You," she laughed.

"Nice to meet you Rachel, I'm Sara." I reached out to shake her hand, still sticky from cleaning up her latte.

"The wind is unbelievable today!"

"I know, I came in here to escape. Here, why don't you sit down while you wait for your coffee."

She slid into the booth and said, "I'd love to! Man, I should spill my drinks on people more often if they're gonna be this nice."

I laughed and sipped the warmth from my coffee while she checked the time on her phone.

"My mom is gonna get a kick out of this story," said Rachel.

"Are you two close?"

She paused and thought for a moment. After what seemed like careful consideration she said, "Yes. You?"

I had to think for a moment as well. "I think so."

I thought it was interesting how honest we were being with each other. Most people would just say, "Oh yeah, for sure" and leave it at that.

To my surprise, Rachel decided to reveal even more about herself. "My mom and I have a complicated past. We've only become close as of recently, I suppose. I'm glad that we're getting that chance."

"That's nice. I've been thinking a lot about that too. I don't want to have any regrets. I'm actually on my way to see my mother now," I said.

Her eyebrows raised in slight surprise. "Me too. Funny."

"Oh, really? Yeah, she was just moved to Great Oak Nursing Home a few blocks away. I've been trying to visit her when I can."

Now Rachel looked really surprised. "My mom was just moved there too!"

We both stared at each other, aghast at the coincidence. What were the chances that she had happened to spill her coffee on me?

"Wow..." was all I said.

"I haven't been visiting her as much as I should. But, it's funny. My mom and I haven't talked like this since I was a little girl. In fact, until last year, I hadn't spoken to her in fifteen years. We've always had such a rocky relationship..." she said wistfully. "But, like you said, trying to live without regrets."

I stared at her for a while and said, "I only just started talking to my mom again three years ago. It had been nine years since I had last spoken to her. She had a massive stroke and I almost lost her..."

Rachel looked rather pensive for a while before smiling and asking, "What's she like?"

I scoffed and said, "Oh, boy. Stubborn. I'm like her in that department. But, she knows how to laugh. Always the life of the party, that one. Her name's Helen, but I call her Hell for short. Gotta love her."

Rachel's eyebrows lifted again in a quizzical manner. "Helen? she asked. "Helen... Martin, by chance?"

Now it was my turn to look surprised. "How on earth did you know?"

"My mom's best friend growing up was named Helen Martin. Only, she just told me about her recently. I guess they rekindled their friendship after running into each other at the same nursing home..."

"Wait," I said. "Is your mother Shannon O'Brien?"

"Yes!" exclaimed Rachel. "That's my mom! Chopped full of tight ringlets and judgement."

We were both so excited we were nearly standing up out of our seats.

"I can't believe this..." I said in quiet disbelief. "How is it that we just happened to meet each other like this?"

"I can't believe it myself. This is crazy... How come we've never met each other before now?"

"Well," I responded, "I wasn't exactly mommy's little girl. By the sound of it, you weren't either."

"Rachel!" the barista called out.

Rachel hurried off to retrieve her replacement latte. I resumed peering out the window. Just as before, people were hurrying past, trying to slice through the cold, unrelenting wind. No one looked up. No one looked each other in the eye. I imagined all of the different worlds that existed within the heads of the people walking past. What problems they faced, how close they were with their mom, and if I had anything in common with them as I had with Rachel.

Just as I was wondering this, Rachel came back with a piping hot coffee in her hand. She looked me right in the eye when she said, "If I promise not to spill my drink on you again, maybe we can go together?"

I smiled and said, "I would love that."

And so we faced the blustery outdoors together. Week after week, we visited Great Oak. Although it was the wind that forced us together that day, there was no force on earth that could ever pull us apart.








July 07, 2020 12:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Zan Lexus
18:51 Jul 12, 2020

Nice story. I liked your first paragraph and the way it set the tone for the story. Just one suggestion, is to cut down on filter words. For example, instead of "I could feel my toes going numb", you could say, "my toes were going numb."

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.