6 comments

Christian Christmas

All Nick wanted for Christmas this year was some peace and quiet. After a full year of high stress at his law firm, he knew he was in desperate need of a change of scenery for the holidays or he wouldn’t last through another year. He had started with Sterling and Malone Law Firm two years ago with the intention of becoming partner within five years, rather than the seven to ten years it normally takes for lawyers to rise to the top, especially in a larger firm like Sterling and Malone. Nick had always been a go-getter, from earning top marks in school and earning his place at this law firm through doing well in his internship three years before. But after two years of high intensity, he realized his health and relationships were starting to suffer. He felt like God was telling him to go home for the holidays. 

Home, Nick thought, as he climbed the stairs to his Manhattan high rise apartment. He hadn’t been to Clarkston, Georgia in five whole years, though it felt more like a lifetime. His mom had passed away seven years ago, right before he had graduated from university. After his mom’s passing, his time in Georgia hadn’t felt the same, and he slowly started skipping the family get-togethers for the holidays. Until this year. He knew his dad was getting older. Just last year, his baby sister had called him about a minor stroke their dad had, but Nick found himself neck deep in a major case and couldn’t find the time to make it back. But now, he felt himself feeling homesick for the Christmas carols sung around the piano, the church potluck on Christmas Eve, even the endless questions his aunts and uncles would pester him with when they had their Christmas meal as a family. He decided he would get the next flight out. Money wasn’t an issue, and he concluded it was time to make things right with his dad before it was too late. He knew he could also use the rest from the hustle and bustle of a New York Christmas. 

As he started packing, his thoughts drifted back to high school before he left the small town life for the big city. He thought of how his family used to be - close and honest with each other, always having each other’s back. He thought of his girlfriend back then - Natasha - the drive in movies, the Sonic runs after football games, the hiking and off-roading trips they took together. He hadn’t dated much after leaving Clarkston - He was just too busy. Too focused on climbing the corporate ladder. But thinking about it now, he wondered what Natasha was doing with her life and if he would ever see her again. 

—---------

Natasha scooped another spoonful of jollof and spread it on the plate held out in front of her. Serving at the local soup kitchen was one of Natasha’s favorite traditions at Christmas. She knew a lot of the families who came in were refugees, trying to make a better life for themselves in Clarkston. Yet with the inflation and lack of open jobs this year, many had fallen on hard times. Natasha felt the need to do what she could to help her neighbors. After all, wasn’t Christmas a time for giving? 

As Natasha started cleaning up, her mind went back to her student’s custody case that had been weighing on her mind for weeks now. One of Natasha’s favorite middle schoolers, Eva, was in the middle of an ugly custody case with her alcoholic dad and her druggie mom. Natasha couldn’t see a favorable ending in sight for sweet Eva, though she prayed for her often. Natasha’s teaching job at Clarkston Middle School was her joy and passion. She loved seeing her students go from little to no English to straight A students. She loved mentoring them and guiding them through their pre-adolescent drama even more. Yet, Natasha always found the students who had the hardest home lives to have a special place in her heart. 

When Natasha got home, she changed into her pajamas and curled herself up in her favorite chair, wrapping her fleece blanket around her. Her nightly ritual was thinking through her day and thanking God for the blessings He had given her that day. As she pressed play on her instrumental worship playlist, an old face popped into her mind. She hadn’t thought of her old boyfriend Nick in ages. Last she had heard, he was some big shot lawyer in New York, half a world away from their small hometown where they had grown up together. Confused as to why Nick’s face had popped in her mind, she said a short prayer for him and moved her mind to her list of other prayer requests. She wondered though, whether or not she would ever see him again. He had left so suddenly, with the promise of coming back. But after two years of waiting, Natasha had moved on, not just a little heartbroken. When he had come back for his mom’s funeral, Natasha and him had talked like the old times. But he had left again, and hadn’t been back since then. Somehow, Natasha had picked up her disappointment and had led a pretty content life. Now, thinking about him again, she frowned and started getting ready for bed. She didn’t want to think about Nick and what could have been. 

—-------

When Nick arrived in Clarkston, he drove to his old family house. He hadn’t told anyone he was coming as it was such a last minute decision. With Christmas a week away, he wasn’t sure if his sister would be home or out doing some last minute Christmas shopping for his nieces. His brother in law had walked out on his sister two years before, leaving her as a single mother of two adorable girls, Hana and Sarah. She had moved back in with their dad after the separation. Nick knew Christmas had been hard on her since then, what with their dad’s health declining and two daughters to provide for. But she did a wonderful job raising those girls, Nick thought to himself as he drove up the driveway. 

Nick walked up the front steps and found the key in the same place it always was - under the flower pot next to the window sill. Clarkston was definitely a long way from Manhattan. He opened the door and called out. As no one answered, he went to the living room where his dad was often found sitting on the recliner watching TV. Sure enough, when he rounded the corner, his dad was there, rocking back and forth. 

“Dad, I’m home,” Nick said as he dropped his duffle on the couch. 

His dad looked up and scrunched his face. “Nick? Is that you? ‘Bout time you come visit. It’s been - how long?”

“Yeah, sorry about that,” Nick said as he sat on the couch. “I’ve been busy. I just closed a case that took a lot of my time.” 

His dad grunted. “Well, welcome home, son. Your sister should be back soon. She’s out taking Hana and Sarah to get an ice cream. She spoils them too much,” he grunted again. “You can go set your stuff down in your old room. She’ll get dinner ready when she gets home.” His dad turned back to the TV signaling the conversation was over. 

Nick held back a sigh, and took his stuff upstairs to his old room. Nothing had changed, though he thought maybe his dad would have softened his heart to the idea of his son being a lawyer. His dad had refused to help Nick pay for any of his university or law school, saying lawyers were no good liars and he wouldn’t support one in his own house. Nick, though, felt called to the profession, and knew he could do right for people by fighting for them in the courtroom. He had always had a gift for convincing people to see things his way - Student Council President, Captain of the football team - He had always been a leader among his peers. Yet, despite his efforts, as well as his mom’s encouragement, he couldn’t convince his dad that he would be a lawyer with integrity. 

Nick sighed as he dropped his bag on his bed. The room was the same as when he left it after high school. Nick sighed again as memories from those days assaulted him once more. He decided to go for a walk to clear his head. He didn’t need to be thinking about Natasha and the life he had promised her before he had tasted another life. He felt bad enough about staying away from his sister after their mom’s passing; he didn’t need to feel the guilt of his naive promises to a high school crush who he had promised to make his wife and come back to work in small town America. No, he thought, as he walked down the sidewalk, Natasha had been more than a crush. He had loved her. But after moving to New York, the night life and scenery of the big city had gotten under his skin. He couldn’t imagine moving back to small town life after tasting what New York had to offer. His competitive nature also played a factor - He wanted to be first in his class and become the best lawyer in his year. But after years of fierce competition and sleepless nights, he was tired. He wondered if it was really worth all the effort and sacrifice he was making. 

As Nick rounded the corner, he noticed a woman coming out of the local grocery shop. 

“Natasha?” He asked. Nick stopped and stared. It was her! He couldn’t believe it. What was she doing here? Did she still live here?

“Nick…” Natasha stuttered. She was shocked. Nick Collins stood there, handsome as ever, staring at her with wonder. She composed herself. “What are you doing here?” She asked, trying to sound as if her heart hadn’t started beating a mile a minute. 

“I decided to come home for Christmas. Here let me help you,” he said as he reached for her bags. “Are you visiting too? How long are you here for?”

“I live here,” Natasha said as she relinquished hold of her bags, still wondering at his chivalrous gesture. “I moved back after college. I teach at the local middle school as an English teacher.” Opening up to him was as easy as ever, though she would have liked to keep walking and ignore the way he made her feel - even after all these years. 

“Oh wow,” he answered. “That’s great.” 

There was a silence as he walked next to her to her car on the other side of the street. Natasha looked at him. He looked the same, though she could see faint dark circles under his eyes. She wondered if he was taking care of himself. In high school, with all the activities he loved doing, she had often been the one to make sure he was doing things to take care of himself. 

Natasha opened her trunk and Nick plopped the bags in. He turned to her and smiled. Yes, she thought to herself, he was definitely still as handsome as ever, with his wavy dark hair and bright smile. Natasha tried a weak smile and turned to shut the door. 

“Do you want to get a coffee and catch up?” Nick said as she walked to the driver’s side of the car. Natasha hesitated. Nick had broken her heart, and to go out with him again - She didn’t know if it was all that wise. 

“Okay…” she relented. She was mature now, after all, and could get a coffee with an old friend surely. She locked her door and turned back to the sidewalk. How hard could it be to smile and laugh as if she was whole and not still reeling from his broken promises all those years ago. 

__________________

Bumping into Natasha had been a welcome surprise, Nick thought to himself as he walked back to his family’s house. She was still as beautiful as ever - Even more so as she told him about her work at the school and the local soup kitchen where she volunteered. She radiated light and peace, the same as she had in high school. That’s one reason he had been so attracted to her in the first place. She always put others first. They had first met at church in middle school. He, an awkward fourteen year old, and her a radiant girl in whom he was immediately attracted to. His mom wouldn’t allow him or his sister to date until high school, but he knew from that first day that Natasha would be the first girl he would take out. And she had been. They had dated throughout high school. They had been named Most Likely to Get Married by their senior class. And that had been his intention. He had even nearly proposed before getting into university in New York. His young self thought he would go to university and do the long distance thing before he would come back to Clarkston and marry her. But plans had changed and he had moved on. Yet, now, as he laid in his childhood bed, he thought about how his life would have been different if he had kept his promise. Would they have kids by now? Would they be happy? Deep down he knew the answer to that. He knew he wanted kids and a wife to greet him when he came home from work. He knew a quiet life wouldn’t be the end of the world. It might actually be nice, he thought, as he closed his eyes. 

—------ Two Weeks Later

Nick grabbed his suitcase from under the bed and started putting his freshly washed clothes inside. His thoughts were a million miles away as he mindlessly started packing the things he brought for a two week trip home. The time had flown by. He had seen Natasha almost every day, falling back into a comfortable rhythm with her. He had gone with her to the soup kitchen, sat with her at church and laughed with her through the potluck afterward, reminiscing on old times. He had even taken her to the local theater to see The Christmas Carol. It was the best Christmas he’d had in a long time. He and his dad had even begun to talk like they had before his mom’s passing. He could see his dad opening up to the idea of him being a lawyer, something that felt like a Christmas miracle. His dad had always had a soft spot for Natasha, and her spending time with them this Christmas had helped ease the tension between them, as had the pro bono work Nick had gotten to do for one of Natasha’s students. Natasha had opened up about her worries for one of her students, and Nick showed off his element when he gave Eva some legal advice. Natasha had been impressed and grateful and had raved about it to his dad, which had greatly helped his case. 

The whole two weeks had been better than Nick could have asked for. And now he was supposed to fly back to New York. Back to the busy life of bustling streets, late nights at work, and worst of all - no Natasha. He couldn’t imagine a life without her bright smile and infectious laugh. But he had worked so hard to get where he was at his law firm - Wouldn’t it be foolish to give it all up? Nick wrestled with these thoughts as he packed up his last pieces of clothing. 

Nick's phone buzzed. He checked the number and saw it was his sister.

“Hey sis, what’s up?” Nick asked.

“Nick, you have to come right now. Dad’s had a heart attack. I’m taking him to the hospital now.”

“What? Okay. I’m on my way,” Nick said, hanging up and trying to find his keys and wallet. He rushed downstairs and called Natasha to update her, like it was the most natural thing in the world. He knew he would need her by his side when he went to see his dad. 

As he drove to the hospital, he realized he would never not want Natasha in his life. He realized that when this ordeal was over, hopefully with his dad back at home in his favorite chair, he would propose to Natasha. Big city life was nothing compared to being with her. And if she was content in Clarkston, he could be too, as long as he was with her. After working on the case with her, and seeing her reaction to his work, he was motivated to come open his own firm here, in his hometown. He could imagine serving the people of Clarkston, his wife by his side, their kids enjoying the small town life, as he had growing up. He smiled. Yes, Nick thought, he would propose and everything would end how it was supposed to. He started praying for Natasha and his dad and his family - That God would lead him and guide him to His good and perfect will. And finally, Nick felt the peace he had been craving for the past two years. Finally, he felt like he was home. 

December 16, 2023 22:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Hannah Lynn
03:08 Dec 28, 2023

I enjoyed your story! I could imagine this couple getting their happily ever after!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cannelle L
03:04 Dec 26, 2023

I love the sweet ending and you balance between the two POVs smoothly. Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
12:37 Dec 25, 2023

Lovely story. You captured small town life well. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kailani B.
23:30 Dec 24, 2023

Such a touching story. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristi Gott
20:50 Dec 24, 2023

Wonderful story! The feelings and thoughts of the characters are compelling. I felt interested right away. The details and complexity are very in depth, especially for a story of this length. I enjoyed it very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Caro Robson
05:44 Dec 24, 2023

A beautiful story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.