1 comment

General

 The Green Pin

It was a blistering hot day on the beach. The place was packed with sun worshippers from the youngest toddler running amok trying to keep their swimming trunks on to grandmothers with burnt elbows toting large, multi-coloured bags.  

There were bronze beauties some bathing with a friend or some hunky guy or alone. The gulls floated back and forth waiting for someone to drop the tiniest morsel of food to be scooped up. Their cries filled the bright sunny day with as much noise as the waves crashing the shore.

The concession stands were doing a steady business.

The piles and piles of sand were being sculpted and reshaped to create interesting and impressive designs.

The wind was strong, but warm and it was just a perfect day to be at the beach.

Melinda was sitting away and back from the crowd. Her lounge chair was firmly planted in the sand. There was an umbrella blocking out the sun. A pretty, middle-aged lady, she was engrossed in a book and didn’t notice the stranger claim a seat a few feet over.

Bruno was a middle-aged man. He dropped his chair in the sand and hooked up the umbrella admiring Melinda’s set-up.

She looked over from her book and made a face.

“Sorry, I hope I am not intruding your space?”

“No, not at all,” she said with a fake smile.

“Nice day to be at the beach.”

“Hummmph.”

He nodded his head and knew that the woman wanted to be left alone.

He relaxed in his chair and put on earphones. He plugged it in the electronic device and relaxed.

The teenagers had a game of volleyball going on. There were some incredibly good looking girls in that group bouncing around in their multi-coloured bikinis. The guys were muscular, varnished.

They were by far the noisiest group on the beach. The net was almost smack dab in the middle of all the action.

Melinda looked up from her book and grimaced. She put her head back down and returned to reading.

Someone spiked the ball and it was tipped. It bounced right at Melinda and hit her in the leg hard enough. She was up in a flash. The sunglasses and book went flying.

Bruno pulled out the earphones and waited.

“What do you think you are doing?”

One of the polished dudes and bikini babes walked over to fetch the ball.  

But the older woman clutched it. It was apparent that she was reluctant to give it up.

“Hey lady throw the ball.”

“No.”

He looked at her with a stupid look.

“We’re having a game right now and-

“I don’t care. You are inconsiderate and rude and don’t deserve to have it back.”

“I could just grab it from you.”

“Oh, really? And I could just kick you in the junk.”

The group of teenagers slowly gathered around.

“We just want our ball back.”

“Not until I get an apology.”

They all looked at each other.

“Hey, everyone come on it’s a beautiful day on the beach and nobody wants to be hassled or hassle anyone. How about you give the ball back to the kids so they can carry on?” Bruno smiled.

She glared at him and he looked at her shyly.

Bruno held out his hand.

She threw the ball hard at his chest and he caught it. In one swift move the man gave it back to the teens.

“Thanks, dude.”

“Thank you sir,” said one of the beautiful girls.

The teens took off and ran away.

Melinda started to pack up her stuff.

“Don’t leave just yet.”

She eyed him.

“Is it any of your business when I stay or leave?”

“No, but I saw the green pin on your blouse.”

She looked down and saw his.

“We’re waiting for the same thing.”

“Those teens were rude.”

“They were just teenagers. We might not think so but we were probably just like then when we at that age.”

“I was well behaved and didn’t hit people with random balls.”

“I was a horrible teenager always getting into mischief and my father threatened to enlist me in the Army.”

“Did he?”

“Absolutely, but my mother wouldn’t let him. Uhm, my name is Bruno.”

It took a long minute before she cast her eyes down.

“My name is Melinda.”

“That is a very pretty name.”

“Yes, I am sure you think it is.”

“You ever play volleyball?”

“I was on the high school team.”

“Hey, that’s really impressive,” he said smiling.

“I liked certain sports. I wasn’t very tall, but could really serve the ball well.”

“I played sandlot baseball. I was nuts for that game.”

“I would have pegged you as a football player. You are a little stout.”

“I didn’t think I was big enough for that sport. Did you go to high school around here?”

“No, I am originally from New Hampshire.”

“Oh, okay, that state is still on my bucket list.”

“I grew up there for the most part and then met my future husband at a party. He was from New Jersey and we moved there after we got married.”

“Oh, the Garden State. I hear it’s nice.”

“It was for the longest time. Then everything went to hell in a hand basket.”

“I can relate to that.”

“Your wife?”

“Lost her about eight years ago now.”

“My husband checked out about five years ago.”

“I’ve never been interested in another woman. I can’t say we didn’t have our differences, but she was a very important part of my life for a long, long time.”

“I can relate to that.”

It was the first time that she had smiled.

“Then about two years later, it came after me.”

“Mine was about eight months ago.”

“Wow, you look good for it being eight months ago.”

“It was a lump in the breast.”

“Mine was in the prostate.”

She nodded her head. The teenagers roared and her attention turned to them. 

“They don’t know it, but most of them are probably going to get it later on.”

“I know. That’s why they have to have fun now.”

“I always come across as such a bitch.”

“You’ve been through a lot.”

“I have, but I feel bad for being so cross to them. It wasn’t their fault the ball hit me in the leg.”

“No, it wasn’t but you didn’t come to the beach to have a hard volleyball smack you while you were reading a book.”

“This is true.”

“So what chapter of the group are you in?”

“Actually, I am in more than one.”

“Oh, okay, I’ve heard of people doing that.”

“I was in New Jersey when it happened. I still have family in New Hampshire and we lost a cousin last year to cervical.”

“I understand.”

“I don’t think there is a limit to the number of branches you can belong to.”

“That’s good because I really don’t care.”

He smiled.

Suddenly, a truck pulled up and everyone gathered.

“Well, you going to go through with it?”

“I am.”

He held out his hand and she hesitated for a second. In that moment of waiting, Melinda was very pretty, desirable. 

“It’s been a long time since a man held my hand.”

“It’s been a long time since I offered to hold a woman’s hand.”

“Did you want to pack your stuff up?”

“No, that’s okay. It’s just a chair and a book. I doubt anyone will steal it.”

They were making their way to the truck when the volleyball came rolling at them.

“I’ve got this one.”

Melinda grabbed it and pretended that she was going to keep it. The teens looked frustrated. Then the middle-aged woman old enough to be a mother to all of them perfectly served it to their astonishment.

“You haven’t lost your form.”

“Thanks.”

A man stood there and smiled.

“I’m looking for a Melinda and Bruno?”

“Right here.”

Once the hot air balloon was set-up, they embarked and soon were floating away waving at all the beach dwellers.

July 11, 2020 00:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Joanne X
23:52 Jul 20, 2020

Hi David, I really like your writing style! It's really coherent, engaging, and easy to follow through. I loved the way you described the characters - you could really tell what their personalities were like just based on the way they interacted with others. One thing I'd suggest is adding a few descriptive/helping phrases between the large dialogue section you wrote. I think it would add more clarity as to who's saying what and what their emotions are while they're having this conversation. Overall, really nice job - you're a great writer! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.