0 comments

Fiction East Asian Speculative

The world is full of knowledge. this can be acquired by going to study in a school where a teacher was trained to impart knowledge to students. It is the formative years when a child starts to learn about his/her surroundings inside the classroom. How will a teacher introduce herself to the learner? This is an enormous task since the child coming from a household who has no background but only their experience when they entered their first grade level too, most likely parents don't recall it anymore and the first encounter of a child to sit down in a chair together with other children maybe very strange and this is where a teacher's imagination comes in to open the eyes of her pupils to the wonderful world of learning new things. She then introduces herself , giving her name and handing name cards to each child seated inside her classroom. to introduce themselves. The boys maybe separated with the girls, two girls sitting beside each other alternately seated by the row. That's how Miss Conchita Quesada arrange the chairs of her pupils. She wanted to know how bright her pupils are or are they prepared to read? She has been teaching in the fourth grade level for about five years and this year they gave her another class to handle which is the grade five level. The question is , how fast each one of them to read? She met some of her pupis before who cannot read, this time will it be the same even they are now in junior elementary grade. How did the she handle her pupis who cannot read at all? One of them Kerry who really cannot read but look up on you blankly in the face and say nothing at all. This child became Miss Conchita Quesada's special child at the beginning of the schoolyear thinking how to help her to put some extra effort for her to read. She has written a word chart to let all her pupils read in unison. Alright. Let see how the teacher and the learner blend in order to accomplish the task of imparting knowledge to a non-reader. How? To start the reading skill to be develop is the concept of teaching concrete to abstract stage in reading. Yes concrete, show the child even if she is already in the grade five level you must painstkingly lead the child to learn from seeing concrete objects and write the name of the object beside them. So Miss Conchita Quesada brought plastic objects of a variety of objects she bought from the store in the form of fruits, apple, grapes, orange, lemon and papaya, the art forms , triangle, circle, square, rectangle and oblong ,things around like table, chair, floor, desk and window. That was Miss Conchita Quesada daily task to master the names of the objects now in a picture chart and could easily identify them when they are shown to them. Soon her pupils enjoyed what they were doing especially when she asked them to bring their own object to school, Kerry brought her doll which is already tattered and look so shabby but she did brought it with her to show it to her classmates. The children have built their volume of vocabulary in the form of nouns . Uaually that is the objects that the eyes can see. In nature it is the trees flowers gardens mountains and rivers. The pupils are led to sing in relation to what they learn in reading and poems for expression. Next to the concrete to abstract stage in reading is reading words no longer using the objects but plain abstract where the mind imagines the object. Kerry began to pick up the words when the teacher pointed it with her stick on the blackboard. This is how important is the teacher's role in the transfer of knowledge which is called one on one, Next is phrases.reading by phrases which is in two, three to four words., in the garden, at school, with my mother, into the river and down the road. While these are also exercises in reading, it may go to their subject in music since the teacher teach all subjects in one day. The most popular song in the grade school maybe are the following, YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE, ROW ROW ROW THE BOAT and GOOD MORNING GOOD MORNING this can be sang as two part songs to make it more livelier. Soon the class of Miss Conchita Quesada is catching up of their reading lessons. And that was already at the middle of the schoolyear. So one day the principal visted the class of mostly non -readers. The principal took the lesson plan of Miss Cpnchita Quesada to observe her reading class. They were on reading a book wherein a child will go infront of the class to read the book. It was a book for the grade three level even if they are already in the grade five level. The principal knew beforehand that this class is a bunch of non readers. Three pupils were asked to read infront of the class , although they have a bit of struggle to read they were able to finish to read the story. The last reader was Kerry who can now see you in your face with a smile and read the book like her other classmates. The principal didn't wait for the pupils to answer the questions on the board to see if they understood the story but she was satisfied of their reading performances,. The schoolyear is almost finished and Miss Conchita Quesada was now contemplating who would be her pupils to be candidates to go to the grade six level. With no doubt at all her pupils have improve their reading skills under her so she decided and was not reluctant at all to pass them all. That is the Department of Education policy to pass all children in the elementary grades to save some money while they used extra time of teachers to handle remedial classes during the year to help non reading pupils. The principal recommended Miss Conchita Quesada to be trained as the head of the Research Committee and formulate a program for non reading pupils from Grades I to Grade Six level.that was the task of Miss Conchita Quesada the following year going from class to class at the whole school to record the presence of non-readers in each class conducting remedial classes for them handled by the grade level teacher using what Miss Conchita Quesada used in her class the past year. School authorities came to observe this ongoing school project to help other teachers in the school district with the School District Supervisor. All schools in the district became busy to conduct their remedial classes for non-reading pupils. To ensure the success of the program Miss Conchita Quesada visited the schools with the School District Supervisor being a candidate for her promotion to Assistant School Principal to train other teachers to teach English. It takes creativity for a teacher to help learners develop their reading skills. But not creativity alone will accomplish the noble intention of the teaching profession to raise children which is the hope of the nation to run the country's economy government and health care. in the future One day as Miss Conchita Quesada walks to her office now an Assistant Principal a lady in white uniform she almost didn't recognized who greeted her and talk to her then thank her of her efforts to help her , with her uniform she became a professional as a nurse. this is Kerry This is an ahievement of a teacher and a leaner.

May 14, 2023 21:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.