2 comments

Adventure Historical Fiction Inspirational

“This is the end, puny human!” A heavy voice echoed with determination. 

The sky was dark, the land was filled with blazing fire that was turning everything into ashes. Passing by them, a bulky figure comes forth, who covered in blazing red flames. The figure walks little further, then stood still and tilted his face down to look a man in front. The man, who was covered in blood and bandages, as he struggles to lay his back on a giant rock. His right arm was shedding blood enormously! Yet, a bold smile appeared on his face, as he tilted his head upward in the direction of that figure, whom some people consider being a GOD! He replied with absolute confidence. 

“Nah… this is just a beginning…” 

……  

-January. 20. 1434- 

“Olympus?” A tiny voice said with confusion. “Yes, Olympus, a place where god and goddesses live, as it ruled by mighty Zeus. Zeus, a man who fought against evil and protected the earth, centuries ago.” An adult replied with composure, as he continues. “After winning the holy war, he had two children 'Ares' and 'Herse' Elder one regarded as the god of war, the undefeated, and the younger one as the god of strength, the strongest.” As adult finished his storytelling, the small voice said with fascination. “ Wow, God of War!” The adult asked as he laughed away. “You like him?” A boy tilted his head upwards. His short hair was brown as chocolate, just the same as his brown skin. Eyes of his were large with yellow irises, just like a sunflower, he wore a golden small robe and when he tilted head, his red cheeks wiggle. With the sparkle in his eyes, he said excitingly. “He is cool! He is just like a big brother, a warrior who can’t be defeated.” The big brother of his, who walk by his side and had blonde hair. He looks in his early twenties, and had same irises as little one, but his skin tone was little brighter than younger, as he wore a shiny golden armour that shines when the sun reflects upon it and with a red cape. His blonde eyebrows twitch as he made a shallow face and with that, he spaced out as said. “Indeed, the undefeated…” Sees his elder brother unhappy, the little one said with a tiny voice. “Brother, are you not feeling well? Did Hatim made brother sad?” Elder sees kindness of little, as he put a large smile on his face, and said with composure. “So, do you like God of war?” Younger excitingly replied. “Yes! Very much, tell Hatim more about him” Elder continue about Ares with composure. “Hmm… He can shoot fireballs and he can also cover himself in fire…” The pair of brothers walk into the city with the tales of the God of War. 

Walking into a large gateway that leads to the city inside, they were stopped by guards wearing metallic plates and holding two-sided spear and a helmet with feathers at above, called: Corinthian helmet. The area beside the gate was covered by huge walls that were ten meters long and seems very thick. The gate always protected by five guards, as after examining the pair of brothers, the guards immediately held their chest high, as one of them said hesitantly. 

“L–Lord Leocus, where have you been? Queen is worrying sick about you!”  

An intense glare gazed upon guard by Leocus that’s makes them surrender and let the pair pass. While so, Hatim hides behind Leocus, holding his red cape tightly with a little bit of tremble. A hand comes on Hatim's head making him comfortable. When pair walk onto city streets, every man, woman gazes upon Leocus, knowing, he is the prince of Land Artelia!  Pair walk towards the huge castle up ahead, eventually reaching it as he stands in front gate yet again. The castle was made of white marbles that could be seen from far away because sunlight reflects upon it. The golden doors opened by guards whom armour set was different with having silver plates and sharp long swords, as they welcome them, by bowing head down. The castle from inside was, not very different from outside while having ice white marble as well. As soon as they entered, a voice comes forth immediately. “Leocus! Where have you been? You should know your health better than anyone!” Ignoring the voice completely, Leocus sees the castle and shout a name. “Adrian!” As called, a person comes forth wearing a white robe with a brown beard, says. “Yes, my master”  

“Didn’t I tell you to do preparations for today?” Leocus said. 

Adrian looks at Lady standing on the above floor. Who wears a pink shiny dress, who was looking in her early forties, but her blonde hair doesn’t match her age. Her expression was twisted as she gazes an intense glare at Hatim. Hatim, who saw the glare hid behind Leocus cape, and yet again began trembling. Sees his brother in agony, Leocus shout while looking at lady above. “Adrian began the preparations for tonight and send an invitation to her, as well.” Upon hearing the word 'Her' the tense on Adrian grew even more, as a bead of sweat reaches his nose. Lady at above tightens her grip on golden railing immensely. “Listen, well son of mine, if she comes, none of us will be joining…” A heavy voice echoed with composure from a man above the stairs, as he began to comes down. He looked quite old despite being in his middle forties with silver hairs and beard, and having yellowish, sunflower irises same as the two sons of his. He wore a golden shiny armour with lightning silhouette carved into and red fur Cape behind. He passes by a huge artwork on the wall: of a man holding a golden spear and wore the same armour lightning carved armour. ‘The Alexander’ name of his was written at the bottom. After reaching Leocus up in front, he says while gazed into his son’s pupils. “So what is your answer?” Leocus looked at the man in front wearing a shiny golden crown that was filled with various gems. He tightens his grip that makes a solid fist, as he says. “Leonal…” 

“It is not wise to call your father by name, if outsider finds about this, there might be a commotion…” Leonal replied with composure. 

Leocus loosen his fist as puts a hand on little one back, who was trembling immensely, comforting him yet again. He said with composure. “Very well… then I shall leave everything to you, Leonal…” Leocus said as he took a turn and began walking further into the castle, but before he goes into distance, Leonal turnaround and says calmly. “Beware, son of mine. Next time regards me as Leonal II” Leocus ignored the comment and continue his walk with Hatim.  

While undergoing into the castle, Hatim tilted head upward to see Leocus, then say hesitantly. “Brother, are you ill? Mother always worries about you…” Yet again, sees kindness of little one, he smiled as knelt down and hugs Hatim. Hatim returned the favour and hugs the elder one tightly. The moment was delighted by the bond of siblings while making it more beautiful, Leocus whispered to Hatim slowly. “Thanks, little one.” 

-Towards End— 

Sun falls down stars comes out. Hatim sat opposite to mirror who was struggling to tie a golden shiny robe which was different from day. Suddenly the door of the room he sat in opened. A woman comes forth as seeing her, Hatim began to tense yet again. The woman was none other than his mother he encountered this morning. This time she wore a golden dress with a red shawl on her, as she comes forward towards Hatim, eventually standing right in front him. Sees her this close Hatim began to tremble, as she stretches her hands making Hatim feared to death, but then, she ties the robe he was having a hard time with. As she spoke in an unpleasant tone. “Today is the day of your birth, be sure not to ruin it…” Hearing those words from her was little unexpected for Hatim. After her comment, she turned as walk outside to see preparation, but before doing so, Hatim says. “T–Thanks, Mother.” As he said, with low tune voice, she replied with opposite words. “There no need for you to think of me as your mother, and regards me as Queen Gori next time” Completing her sentence, she didn’t even bother to look back and continue with her walk leaving Hatim alone on the couch. 

Hatim after a certain silence, walk towards the balcony on right, as he saw the beauty of Land. The capital of Artelia (Leos), was filled with the brightness, as it reflects onshore making it more delightful. Despite being night, the moment could be seen from far away. Just as he saw a family with a pair of a mother, father and their child holding hand of both, seeing them Hatim could not help but felt little gloomy. Suddenly a voice asked with a very humble and small tune. “Looking at them won’t help, you know” Hatim immediately turnaround as saw a girl who wears a pink dress with shiny white gems carved into, her skin was bright, with having black hairs and same coloured irises as her black eyebrows pulled down, while she continues her saying. “You’re looking very gloomy right now” Her tone was somewhat bright yet very bold. Sees her, Hatim says with unfortunate expressions. “Oh, Sera, it’s you…” 

“What’s that supposed to mean. Am I that unfortunate to you?” Sera reply with little anger as her black ponytails wiggles. 

Ignoring her comment, Hatim continues with sightseeing from the balcony. Sees him gloomy yet again. Sera comes and stand by beside Hatim as she spoke. “Today is your seventh birthday, be little happy, at least for your brother sake” As she finished, Sera curiously gaze upon Hatim, with a momentarily blush. In reply to her comment, Hatim says. “Hatim guess, no one wants Hatim, if Hatim hadn’t born, brother life would be much better” Hearing his dark reply, Sera mumbles while getting little redden. “Well, it’s not like, I don’t need you…” Hatim asked in confusion. “What?” Sera immediately change the topic, assays in an angry tone. “Are you dump? If anyone listened to this, they’ll never believe, you and I are at the same age” As after Hatim was forced to listen her scolding over and over.  

While they were at it, some flashy fireworks began as everyone looked at the bright sky above. The moment was filled with the brightness of joy. Sera holds the right hand of Hatim. Hatim could not able to express the moment, but he didn’t let her small hand go. Leocus who was standing just behind them, smiled as walked away. After the ends of fireworks, Sera immediately let his hand go and quickly walked outside. Hatim could not help but to get a little confused.  

Hatim went after Sera after seeing her unusual reaction. The white pale castle at the morning turns into a golden beauty with red flags all around that has an insignia carved. The insignia was somewhat triangle with no bottom line. While passing by them, Hatim unintentionally walked into the elders’ royal party. The place was filled with the reek of wines, gossips and negative talks. A lady in black says to one whom in red. “Did you heard the rumour?” Lady in red asked in curiosity. “What is it, tell me!” 

“Lord Leocus is supposing to marry Hellan  princess!” 

The other guests looked at them with immense expressions, some were with confusion and some with displeased. As the ladies began to feel pressure, they laugh and makes a comment. “Well, those are just rumours…” Suddenly a steel cup falls, making noise in a very silent environment. Eyes of guests turn their focus on that sole noise, soon later moving to the person behind it. Hatim accidentally who pushed the table while searching his view sideways. The table was top by cups tower, even touching them would lead disaster spill of wine. Hatim did that unintentionally, but now the death glares has fixed upon him. Sees him, the monstrous gossips was begun. “Wait, isn’t he’s that child…”  

“Indeed, the child of that woman”  

“The half royal blood” 

“The shame on Land Artelia” Hatim, a seven years old child, was not capable nor have the capacity to listen to elder people malediction, he eventually began to tense enormously. But Suddenly a voice echo. “That’s enough!” Silence yet again takes over after echoes fade. The guards follow her as eyes of guests fixed on her position. Those words come from none other than, Queen Gori! Seeing her, Hatim nerves calm down as he spoke with a broken voice. “M–Mother, Ha-Hatim…” Before he could complete the sentence, a slap landed on his face in front of everyone. The guests don’t have the courage to let a word slide through their mouths, with thus, none protected him. As Queen Gori says with anger flowing. “Why did you come here, it’s an adult company!” Hatim remains quiet, but for some reason, he wasn’t trembling. He tilted face upward, gaze into her eyes as he shouts in anger. “Ha-Hatim is done with you all. If you don’t love Hatim, then why did Leonal even give birth to Hatim?” The word he spoke was unbelievable. He called the emperor by name! But deep-down, Gori knew that was something very true, but still, it was unacceptable, calling his father/emperor by name in front of bunch of people, with this, she raised her hand to slap him again. But suddenly an another hand comes forth overlapping her tightly. The man was none other than Leocus as Leonal II follows behind. After seeing them in one picture, Hatim emotionlessly think while tilting his face downward. ‘What a great family… If Hatim just hadn’t born…’ But his voice comes with a very opposite words. “Hatim... wish you all die!” With those, he tilted face up as saw the expressions of his mother with large eyes open makes her looking sad, his father who looks very guilty, and above all, his brother, who looks completely shattered, as if his soul was torn apart. Suddenly Hatim feels an enormous pain in his heart as he ran away from the situation, but before went into distance, he saw Sera, who was watching everything from side-line as she stretches her hand towards him but stopped by her family behind. Hatim exists the castle as his tear just remain flowing. He runs, without even looking back. He ran with all his might. If Hatim just knew what destiny has chosen for him, then he may look back once… 

-Farwell— 

Hatim did not look back, as he just kept running without any destination in mind. And suddenly he found himself into the forest as he remembered the small hill behind the castle. 

While running without giving much thought, Hatim exits the castle from behind that was created for emergency purposes and the reason just as why he didn’t get blocked by huge walls that cover the city. As after, Hatim remembered his brother told him once, not to go there no matter what. The hill forest was filled with the merciless black wolf, which was one of the most dangerous beasts inland Artelia. They massacre their prey without leaving a trace of it. As eventually Hatim found a group in front him with growls and drools. Hatim picks a branch of a tree from the ground to protect himself as he shouted in order to make them back off, but that wasn’t enough to make beast like them, to surrender. They take a step further as adjusting the body for an attack. All Hatim could do was pray god to save him. Then suddenly the sky began to change colour, as it became pitch-black. The wolf who never leaves their prey unfinished ran away in the cry of fear. The sudden change of action lead Hatim to wonder, but before he could think much, a bright light appears from the city. The light was so bright, it made Hatim momentarily blind as the night to day for splits of seconds. Soon later light was followed by a tremendous shockwave that made Hatim flew! Fortunately, Hatim was able to grab on to a tree, just as it saves him from any fatal injury. After force fades away, the environment became dead silent, not even an ant crawling noises could be heard. Hatim suddenly feels warmth in his body as he looked upward towards the tree and got thrilled by the view. Because every single tree of the forest was burnt down, not even a single leaf was left alive. Hatim quickly ran towards the city, but the view he saw was disastrous. The city turned into hell! All he could see was the fire burning through everything, just when he saw in the middle of that hell a huge figure takes place. His body was covered in red blazing flames, with that, he roared loudly. 

*ARGHAAA!!!* Just single roar was enough to create an earthquake, made burnt trees fall, leads Hatim bled through ears and make him fell on knees. The moment he witnessed, could only describe by one name. “God of War!” Hatim says with the cry of fear in his eyes. 

The only reason Hatim was still standing is that those thick walls took most of the impact from grounds, but right now the walls are shattered, all there remain was rubble, just as why he couldn’t go from behind path directly into the castle again. Hatim went inside the city, but as soon he entered, the view became more terrifying. Screams and growls could be heard everywhere! Yet Hatim didn’t stop, but until he saw a burnt human laying as that person grabbed his leg, Hatim immediately retreats, his breathing became heavier, but despite that, he can’t be stopped, not until he saw the brother of his. Hatim passes by them with struggle, while all his hands, legs, eyebrows just tremble and shiver but somehow he managed to keep walking. The more he went inside the city, the more he remembers the faces he last saw.  

All of sudden the grounds began to shake again just when, Hatim saw the castle falling, crumbling into pieces. Soon later the impact comes with it, creating dust all over the place. While that happening, Hatim heard a familiar voice as after hearing, hope began to rise again. He rushed toward the echo instantly but it was very difficult to change positions because of dust and rubble in the path, yet somehow, Hatim managed to come as he yells. “Hey, is anyone there?”  

“H–Hatim?!” A girly voice said with doubts. Hatim turns to her voice and recognises immediately as moved to Sera with urgency. But after seeing her, his expressions became lifeless, his lips tremble as his legs shiver like jelly with blurry eyesight which can’t able to focus. He says with broken will “S–S–Sera!?” Sera who lay on the ground calls Hatim closer by giving a hand sign. Hatim who had no will left goes near her, precisely fell next to her while losing all his composure. Sera raised her hand and started resting upon his cheeks, eventually making him bursting into tears. Sees him so defeated, she says with struggle. “Hey, if you cry like baby, no one would believe, you and I are at the same age” Sera pink dress with gems carved into, had been turned into blood-red and the gems shatter into pieces. Her lower half had been completely struck by a massive brick boulder. With that circumstance, her blood can’t be stopped, not until the bolder has been removed, and that's something a boy can not do. Hatim kept his crying, but as for Sera. She asked in a very low tone “H–Hatim, c–could you take me to my mother…” Hatim looked at her as she continues. “I–I want t–to see her, please take me… *Cough! *” All of the sudden, Sera began coughing blood but knowing her situation, that was something inevitable. Seeing her conditions getting worse, Hatim immediately calls for help as he shouts. “Hey! Anyone help, there is an emergency” Hatim continues his crying out while holding Sera into his arms, but none respond. Sera continues as her breathing became weak. “H–Hatim, are my m…other is alive? H…e…y, tell m…e” Hatim says with bursting tears. “Y–Yes she is, I just heard from Adrian…” All he spoke was a lie, but somehow, he couldn’t able to say the truth. Sera replied with all she had. “You are a terrible liar, like al…” Before she could complete her sentence, her eyes lost their sparkles as her resting a hand on his cheeks fell. Sees her motionless, Hatim began to shiver her as he kept his right hand on her face, but there was no effect at all. Hatim says with a phoney smile. “Hey where’s your unusual reaction, hey, say something, dammit!” A seven-year child does not have any capacity to endure more. After her death, Hatim went quiet with no emotions. All there left was Sera's memories, crossing in his mind over and over as it ended onto the moment when he saw that, fire figure. With that, Hatim let out a tremendous scream, he screams until his throat can’t handle anymore.  

The atmosphere had been dead silence for a few minutes but after quite of time, Hatim let Sera go, laying her on the ground gently. Hatim stands as began to walk into the direction of that figure in the middle of the city. His eyes were burning in agony and his expression was overflowing outrage. Hatim mumbled with sore voice. “I’ll kill you, Ares!” But before he could even take a step further, a huge boulder flew over to his place and land just in front of him, which was followed by a great impact making Hatim thrown backwards by the force of the outburst, and his vision became dizzy as he sees blood flowing through from his head that soon later lead him towards the unconscious, the memories, the flashbacks rewind’s into his head over and over as he thinks before falling onto the ground. ‘So this is the end, huh? At least I’m going to meet Sera…’ He continues in sombre. ‘I want to see my family, one last time…’ With that, he lost the vision, and will with it… 

Hatim could hear people screaming and feel someone is carrying him as he opened eyes with struggle. He saw, a person holding him into their arms as she said. “it’s alright, you are going to be okay…” She continues, but Hatim lost consciousness again. He opened eyes yet again as saw his mother/Queen Gori laying him on a boat as she says. “You have the will to live, always had been. So live my son, find your destiny…” She continues as a green bright light shines behind her, but Hatim lost the sight yet again, however, Hatim could able saw her last moment and in that, she was smiling… 

Hatim immediately opens his eyes along quickly waking up and find himself on a rusty steel bed. A girl around his age with an old, dusty clothes sees him as she instantly calls. “Papa, he awakes!” The girl distant herself from Hatim just as a man entered the room. He had a long silver beard and hair, with vast black eyes, the same as her daughter. At the lower side of his eyes, he had a wild-looking pitch-black tattoo that reaches his neck below. The man says while he smirks. “Welcome to the Paladins, boy!” 

-Life And Death— 

October 11, 2020 09:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Colin Devonshire
06:32 Oct 22, 2020

That's some story. Well done.

Reply

A BK
11:32 Oct 24, 2020

Thank you very much. I'll be continuing it on a app Web novel. Read full novel there ;-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.