0 comments

General

Love, a word that billions of people say, without true intentions of showing it. Me being one of these people. I can say the three words “I love you” to anyone and not truly mean it. 

September 1,2016

I walk into school with my head held high. Being popular isn’t all that terrible, if I'm being honest with you. I mean who wouldn’t want people begging to be friends with you or having nerds do your homework for you, especially on nights when you would rather be out having fun. Always getting out of trouble because I’m “rich”. It truly is a simple lifestyle. 

I know I sound like a brat, I guess in most ways I could classify as one. But all I want is real friends, and someone to say “I love you” to without lying. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it’s nothing but the truth. Everyone’s in love with me due to my money or popularity, but that is not what I want. I want to love somebody without them being with me for benefits. I’m alone in a dark place full of money, and while that might not sound bad, it’s terrible.

“Kylaaa!” My best friend Blake yells, “Guess who got invited to the after party of this Friday’s game!”

“Uh Jacob?” I question as Blake shakes his head no. 

“Uh no,” he mimics me,”I did.”

“Oh forreal? Man, you get invited every year, big surprise there buddy.” I sarcastically replied.

Blake rolls his eyes as he looks at me questionably, “You aren’t going to dip on me and not go, right?”

“I dunno babes, I guess we’ll see Friday,” I say scrunching up my nose.

You see here’s the deal. Blake, well Blake loves partying. When I say loves I mean he gets happier than a two year old when their parents say that they can get ice cream as a snack. Me on the other hand, I hate the thought of a party. They disgust me. Nothing but underaged kids drinking, drugs and a bust waiting to happen.  

  My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the morning bell. As I walked to class, Blake right beside me I look at my seat to see an unfamiliar face. 

“Class we have a new student joining us. Keshaun would you like to introduce yourself to the class?” The teacher exclaimed. 

“Uh yeah sure. Uhm my names Keshaun, Keshaun Friddler. I just moved here from California so yeah.” He says his face turning red.

I walk to my teacher, Mrs.Mart’s desk.

“Uh ma’am, where would you like me to set at. Keshaun’s in my seat and I don’t want to ask him to move.”

She pointed to the seat directly in between Keshaun and my ex-boyfriend, James. I sat down as class began, only to fall asleep soon after. 

“Mrs.Myres, please recite page 251 in the textbook please and thank you”

I was suddenly being poked by Keshaun, him pointing at a page. As I started to read, I couldn’t help but feel a pair of eyes directly on me. I look up to meet James’s brown eyes staring directly at me. Or so I thought, glancing over at Keshaun I proved myself completely wrong. I confusedly glanced back and forth between the two boys, wondering what was going on. 

Near the end of class, James looked at me and then Blake. Mouthing, “Watch out. He’ll steal Kyla from you,” with a smug smirk growing across his face. I looked at Blake with a confused look on my face. 

“Blake what’s he talking about?” I question.

“Blake. Tell me now or I will not attend the party Friday night.” I threaten.

His face grows red with embarrassment, as he turns and walks away.

“James. What did you just do?!” I yelled, “You have no right to intervene when it comes to my friendship with Blake.”

Everyone stares at me trying to comprehend what I'm yelling at him over. I go to try and find Blake, but he’s nowhere to be seen. The park. A moment of relief watches over me as I realize where he’s at. I signed myself out of school to go and find him. 

As I pull up to our place, where we sit behind the waterfall. I see him. He looks sad, almost as if he had just lost his best friend. Then I see another figure, he’s not alone. A girl sits down beside him, she’s the most gorgeous human I have ever seen. He kisses her, the sight breaking my heart. Just then my phone goes off.

Blakee<3- Sorry about today. Just got a lot goin on.

Kyla- Really? A lot going on? Is that why I’m watching you with another girl at our spot? That’s real funny.

He looks up from his phone meeting my eyes as I start to cry. He gets up, me taking off and leaving before he can reach me. 

I get home going straight to my room, not looking anywhere but down. I lay in the darkness as my phones blows up with messages from Zach. I then get a message from a number.

(540)460-****: I’m sorry for what happened today my brother shouldn’t have said what he did, so again Kyla, I think it is. Im sorry~ Keshaun

I turn my phone on silent, ignoring everyone. Letting the dark slumber take over. The night was tiring, me barely sleeping due to ongoing thoughts of Blake being like everyone else, using me for fame and then leaving. This Keshaun kid, he’s James’s brother? I dated James for 2 years and didn’t know about any siblings other than his little sister…

September 2, 2016

The sun was shining brighter than I had ever seen before. It was Wednesday, the day Blake and I are supposed to start our project together in science. As I drug myself out of bed, my phone lit up. 26 missed phone calls from Lol blake, 3 missed calls from James</3. As if today weren’t going to be long enough, now my ex best friend and my ex boyfriend were texting me. I got ready not sure whether today was going to be awkward or not, I decided to put on sweatpants and a jacket, comfy enough. 

I arrived at school going straight to my locker. Seeing Blake was the last thing on my mind this morning. Until I heard that very familiar voice yelling my name. I turned around to face him, keeping my head down the whole time, ignoring everything around me. Taking off in a fast walk I try my hardest to escape his presence. I walked into first period only to be met by an all too familiar gaze. Jonah. 

Sitting down was literally the last thing I wanted to do, so as fast as I walked into class was as fast as I walked out. It was almost like I was never there. Until I got a text message…

Keshaun- Meet me at the gym in 5, please.

Ugh why the gym? Why today? Why right now? As I arrive at the gym everyone stares at me. Everyone always stares at me due to my “rich girl vibes”.  I look around until I find him, Keshaun. His face looking regret-filled as I walked over to him. 

“Kyla let me explain please,” Keshaun begs as I nod my head.

“Okay, so yes first of all I am James’s brother. Second of all, no I didn’t intend on making any of this happen. Third..” I zone off during his rambling. 

“Kyla.. Kylaa. KYLA!” I snapped back to reality. Everyone staring at me and the “new kid” that everyone already seemed to know about. 

“I’m sorry.. I-uh… I have to-uhm go,” I say before turning and running. 

The spot, that’s where I’ll go, no one knows about it. As I got into my car I take off, avoiding contact with anyone and everyone. When I arrived there, I wasn’t alone. Walking to where me and Blake used to sit, I flop down, watching the waterfall. Until I hear a noise, a sniffling almost. I look over to see James crying, Keshaun beside him, doing his best to comfort him. I stand up to walk away, but instinct tells me to talk to him. 

I walk to James’s side, plopping down beside him. I look at him with reassuring eyes, cracking a small smile at him. 

“James, love what’s wrong?” I question him.

“It’s you Kyla. I still love you. I thought that bringing my little brother here would make you see that I’ve changed.. But obviously I was incorrect.” He mumbled.

“James.. Baby. I love you with all my heart and more.” I smiled at him, intertwining my fingers with his.

“I never loved for your money or popularity, those were rumors made up by people that couldn’t have what we had. I promise.” He picked his head up, his eyes meeting mine.

I smiled at him as we both muttered the words, “I still love you.” 

“James.. ``I love you.” I blurted out.

 “Kyla… I love you too,”  he said giving me a reassuring smile. 

We sat there in a comfortable silence for what seemed like hours on end. Finally James spoke up

“Guys, thank you. Thank you for always being here and for saying I love you, even if you don’t mean it..” He looked at me when he finished speaking.

“Jbaby, I mean every word I say to you. Especially when I say I love you.” 



August 30, 2019 18:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.