0 comments

Inspirational Fiction

Waking up early in the morning, Sheila felt dull and drained from all the life changes that had happened over the past few years. As her mind wandered into thoughts of the past, family members, friends, her job, home, and even furniture were all gone, she reminded herself she was starting over from scratch! 

Stretching her long, skinny body while flipping off the covers, with a sigh, she got up and walked into the kitchen to get a glass of water. She leaned against the sink to support her tired body and saw a brilliant purple butterfly float by the window before her. The angle of early morning light made its wings shimmer with a glow. Bedazzled, she watched it flutter up, down, and sideways like it was performing a dance recital just for her. 

Overcoming a sense of hopelessness was challenging while losing everything she loved dearly. The hardest part was always the mental trips that felt so real, but they were only in her mind. Like a movie screen, she could see flashes of happiness, sorrow, pain, and pleasure from every life situation, moving at hyperspeed inside her head. She called them her spiritual journey, which always left her feeling worn out, as if she was physically running a fast-paced marathon through each life scenario. Seeing something joyful after being filled with anger for so long was refreshing.

Standing in her pajamas, she stood there as her heart pounded with excitement and fear for what was to come—her beautiful long blonde hair cascaded down her back while turning to set her glass on the counter. Out of nowhere, she heard a soft voice say, "Sakura." With a tilt of her head, she closed her eyes to listen closer and heard it again "Sakura."

A knocking sound came from outside the house. She walked into the middle of the room to listen closer and figure out what was making the sound. The new home was open and modest, just like the new job and pay; however, it met her needs with no overtime, affordability, and plenty of unfilled space. Minimizing everything so she could find her true soul purpose.

The sound stopped. Shaking her head, she gracefully walked to her bed to get back to sleep when something moved slightly near her feet. Looking down, she saw a business card; on it was the name of a publisher. With a sigh, a feeling her dreams had been lost and shattered, she tossed it on the nightstand and crawled back into bed to spend her day off in a well-needed slumber. 

All of a sudden, she heard the pounding outside again. She sat up to listen closely to identify what it was, which sounded like a hammer pounding on a piece of wood. Knock, knock, knock! Each time she closed her eyes, it would begin; when she opened them, it would stop. Curiosity overtook her. Flipping her covers back, she exited the bed and walked to the front door. As she opened it, she saw an adorable bluebird fly by; its wings were flapping as it turned its head, with its peering eyes, and looked straight at her through the screen door. It stood on the tree's limb, and they both watched each other for several minutes until it quickly flew away.

Sheila always believed in the mystical magic of spirituality and angels; therefore, these were signs of something kind to her. Seconds later, a tiny ladybug was crawling across the screen. Once again, she heard the knocking coming from the top of the tree directly in front of the home. With a chuckle she laughed when she realized it was a woodpecker. The morning aesthetics were captivating, and she knew something was different in the smell of the morning dew. Inhaling a deep breath of fragrant air three times, she rapidly searched with her eyes to find the unfamiliar change. Turning to the right side of the yard, an unnoticed tree seemed to blossom overnight. It was a cherry tree.

The flowers were full of the most vibrant pink shed ever seen, covering the branches like pink cotton candy. She could smell the heavenly scent with each breath. Tears filled her green eyes as she stared at the beautiful flower tree—a sign that her hopes and wishes were coming true - blessings were on the way. A distant voice once again said, "Sakura," and instantly, she knew this was an angelic gift. In a flash, Sheila saw her future path. Everything was cleared from her life to allow free time to pursue her dreams, no longer overtaken by demands from others and life in general. 

A trickle of teardrops rolled down her cheeks as she became filled with inspiration to follow her dreams from her youth; be an inspiring artist and writer. Clearing out the negative people and old baggage, with her new lifestyle, she had plenty of time to do whatever she wanted.

Breathing in the joyful scents flowing in from the cherry blossoms, she raised her hands and jumped for joy, yelling loudly, "I feel alive." Once again, she heard the voice say, "Sakura." the Japanese word for a flowering tree, a Cherry tree, representing hope and a time of renewal with positive blessings. No more sorrow, anger, or guilt was left inside for the first time in years. Miraculously, it was gone! She felt hydrated with love and rejuvenated with hope and faith in getting a second chance with a fresh start; she finally felt free. 

One of the flowers from the tree blew in front of her feet. Bending over, she picked it up and went inside the home to hang it to dry, naming it her Sakura Angel. A reminder that the life challenges gave her the openness to expand into something unique only to her but relatable to many. A symbolic piece to show her bravery and healing, which created a courageous and inspirational woman. Looking up at the ceiling, she wiped the joyful tears away and said thank you. I am meant to be happy and will never feel alone again.

March 31, 2023 22:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.