3 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

It was 12:00 am, and the wedding reception was still going strong. Everyone seemed glad the long drawn out ceremony was over, as beautiful as it had been.

 Jackie was on her 4th glass of champagne, and her table was positively brimming with lively conversation and gossip. Some had bravely taken their positions on the dancefloor, and few had left, due to the late hour, but clearly the ones who had stayed at the table were in too deep to walk away now.

‘And I told him, you have no chance, absolutely no chance with Mary, so you should just stop the dating while your ahead and find someone else. But he was too stubborn to listen to me. Maybe it’s the sunk cost fallacy, when you’ve been out with someone 5 times already, you don’t just want to abandon the time you’ve invested in that person. Anyhow, they’re still together.’

This was Judy speaking. She had been absolutely vivacious and animated all evening, and was clearly enjoying being the centre of attention as she discussed the groom’s best friend, John. Jackie listened attentively, waiting for her chance to put in a word.

‘Yeah, the two of them always seemed to be a little awkward. Whenever they go out, they’re always lighting up the room, but I notice they hardly seem to talk to each other, let alone look at each other.’ Said George, feeling in his pockets for his cigarettes.

Jackie knew George from meeting up with Henry, the groom during the wedding preparations. She was sure she fancied him, something about his tall figure, with his urbane way of dressing. If he had wanted to dance, she would definitely have joined him, but they all seemed to be having too much fun at their table.

‘Oh yes.’ Chirped Judy. ‘It’s obvious when you see them. They just don’t… click. I give the relationship another couple of months, tops.’

Just then, the bride and groom came and solicited themselves to join the rowdy group. Jackie was a little envious at their joyful countenances, but it wouldn’t do to show it.

‘So, are we all having a good night?’ Intoned Henry brightly, the bride hanging off his arm.

The table roared and cheered.

Lily, another lady at the table, directly addressed the bride, Linda. ‘Darling I’m so happy for you! This is your big night! You look so beautiful in that gorgeous dress.’

There was widespread oohs and ahs, and other cheers of approval.

Linda blushed with happiness, replied. ‘Oh Lily! Thank you! I feel… just… so happy!’

Henry looked on with pleasure, clearly happy to see his wife enjoying herself so much. ‘Darling you are the belle of the ball. I’m so glad we did this! Life with you is going to be amazing, I can’t wait.’

Seeing the two of them positively radiant, Jackie began to feel sorry for herself. 40 years old, time was running out for her happily ever after. As the table descended into congratulations and compliments for the happy couple, she noticed George standing up, looking hopefully at the doors leading to outside. She hadn’t smoked in close to a year, but she decided to use this opportunity to be in his company a little longer. Avoiding making a scene, she discretely rose and followed George out of the room. 

Once they were both outdoors, she sidled up next to him?

’Could I scab a durry?’ She said in her best south western Sydney bogan accent.

Caught in the middle of lighting up, George was gracious. ‘Sure, I guess your never really done with the habit.’

He extended a hand with the open packet of cigarettes. ‘Here you go.’

Jackie pulled out one and leaned forward for George to light it. As she exhaled it, she felt her head spin with the hit of the tobacco.

‘Gorgeous couple, aren’t they?’ She sighed, trying not to sound bitter.

‘Positively radiant.’ Said George flatly, with just the slightest edge of sarcasm.

Taking another breath, she looked at George, who was in the middle of a drag. ‘You been to a lot of weddings?’

George looked pensive for a moment. ‘I’ve been to a few, their all the same I guess.’

She reached for some confidence. ‘What’s a guy like you doing unmarried? Still playing the field?’

George laughed. ‘I guess I just haven’t found the right one yet.’

She inhaled. ‘Just got to keep your eyes open I guess.’

George gave her a conspiratorial look. But then turned and faced the darkness away from the reception hall. ‘Well things are sometimes not what they seem. There's some stories I could tell you about Henry.’

Jackie narrowed her eyes and raised her eyebrows facing the darkness, her cigarette now down to half. ‘Oh really, do tell.’

George seemed happy she’d asked, as he quickly turned to her. ‘Henry has been sleeping with other women all through his engagement period. He goes out Saturday nights and says its just him and the boys having fun, but he’s always trying to pick up. And Linda hasn’t got a clue.’

‘Really? Bastard.’ Came Jackie's shocked voice. ‘Is he going to stop now that he’s married?’

George exhaled another cloud of smoke. ‘Don’t know. Would have to ask his mate John to be sure. Personally, I think people don’t change.’

Linda gave him a piecing look. ‘You wouldn’t do something like that would you?’

‘You think all men are the same? No, I wouldn’t.’ Replied George.

‘Sorry.’ Said Jackie sheepishly. ‘You just never know these days.’

‘And what about you?’ George continued. ‘What’s a pretty lady like you doing still single?’

‘Men have come and gone.’ Replied Jackie. ‘It’s always good in the beginning, but they just never seem to stick around.’

She tossed the now finished cigarette on the ground and stamped it out. ‘But thanks for calling me pretty.’

The air was chill outside, and they both seemed to think the same thing at once as they both turned to face the door.

‘You want to dance?’ Asked George, as he pulled open the door.

Seeing Henry still at the table, arm in arm with Linda, Jackie felt a wave of revulsion wash over her.

‘Love to.’

August 17, 2024 14:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Gina Schmidt
21:21 Aug 28, 2024

I always appreciate reading your stories. Even when the topic turns a little ugly (like cheating) you manage to put a lightness to it. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristi Gott
00:22 Aug 18, 2024

This wedding drama unfolds with unexpected information and ends on a happy note as the two characters seem to share some things in common and decide to dance. It could be the beginning of a much longer written piece or of a novel. The reader is left wondering what will happen in the new marriage where the groom is known to have been chasing women all through the engagement. Well told!

Reply

Paul Hellyer
02:13 Aug 19, 2024

I am grateful that you read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.