My Day with Jesus.

Submitted into Contest #232 in response to: Write a story about someone looking for a sign in a dark sky.... view prompt

1 comment

Christian Contemporary Kids

"I heard you!" Young Andrew was speaking too loudly, being a bit rude to his parents.

"I know it's a school day. I don't want to be there. I hate Grade Six, I hate teachers, the kids are mean! I'm staying in bed."

Andrew was called Young because his name was his father's name. His dad was now known as Old Andrew. His father looked worried, he had been trying to get counselling for Young Andrew's school refusal. But all the appointments were taken for months.

Young Andrew's mother said, "Look, you only went to school for one week. Some kids are bullies, they should be expelled. We've had a word to your teacher, no naming names. I've got a gift for you. Here, I made it myself."

Young Andrew held in his hand a woolly Don't Worry Worm. It had a smile on its face, so he smiled back. This might be sign of hope and light in the darkness of his little world. He could take his worm everywhere with him.

He really wanted to play games with the others in Grade Six. But they had been totally mean, picking on him. They had thrown his bat on the school roof, so the teachers and handyman were cross with him.

"Now today, you are going to try to do some learning in the classroom. Those kids are supposed to be friends. Don't worry, your teacher is aware of the problem. You are not in trouble, got it?"

Old Andrew was being firm, he was a good family man. He only wanted all his own kids to be happy.

Slowly, Young Andrew dressed and ate breakfast. He supposed he could arrive at school, and not take any notice of boys behaving badly. Complaints never worked. His Don't Worry Worm smiled at him, as he hid it in his shirt pocket.

His teacher, Ms. Rosehill smiled, and immediately gave everyone a Maths test. Bree, the pretty girl in front of him, smiled and flipped her hair. Young Andrew wondered if she had a Valentine.

After Maths, it was writing time. Today, Grade Six, were allowed to type their essay. Young Andrew chose the topic, "My Day with Jesus." He did have a good imagination. He was really good at typing, and enjoyed writing.

Young Andrew was all fired up. He not reached playtime yet, but he wanted to let bygones be bygones. He put on his thinking cap, and started typing. He shut his eyes for one minute, and could imagine Jesus standing next to him.

This is Young Andrew's story. "Here is a breaking news flash from Grade Six, where all the action is today. I am going to spend the day with Jesus. I would first of all take him to the supermarket. Jesus and I would buy some frozen fish and bread rolls. Then we would take them to the Foodbank, and multiply. Between us, Jesus and Young Andrew here would make hunger disappear. We would send food all over the world, like a sign from God that Jesus is back here with us all."

"Next job for Jesus and me is to stop bullies in schools. I would not expel them. Jesus and I would show true kindness, and let them play with Young Andrew here. We would spend lunchtime playing healthy games for exercise. We would enjoy sunshine and fresh air, all for free."

"Now I am spending my day with Jesus, I would let him show true love to all families, so people care about each other. For people who are single, Jesus would share that no one is ever alone. I am a single guy too, but hey, I'm still only eleven years old. There is always hope, and different kinds of love. Jesus is our guide, that's what He can do."

Young Andrew kept on writing. "If I could spend my day with Jesus, he and I would ban all illegal drugs. We would give everyone taking and selling drugs something better to replace them. They need better goals, and no more drug overdoses. Jesus and I would change all that too, while we are on a roll."

"If Jesus were here with me today, He and I would stop all drive-by shootings, make all the gangs fold up, so they can follow in Jesus' path, being kind instead of mean and nasty. Jesus can make that happen too."

"Now Jesus and I are spending the day together, we would cruise along to the park. He would teach me how to walk on the water in the lake there. That would be beyond so cool. All the kids here would wonder how I could do that. With Jesus, of course."

"After showing all of Grade Six that Jesus is still here, today He and I would stop all the armies in the world. No more bombs and weapons. He and I would save all the kids in the world from being killed by bombs. Jesus and I would feed them all and fly doves of peace around the world."

"Next, Jesus and Young Andrew here would raise our hands as He did in the olden days. We would let the Holy Spirit flow through us, to heal everyone who is sick in the world. Then finally, Jesus and I would do our best party trick. I would raise both my grandmothers, and give them a second chance of life, like Lazarus. They gave me good love and kindness, and always had my back. I have got a good family. All us kids just want to be happy."

"Finally, Jesus and I would give everyone in the world a Don't Worry Worm. We could all make one giant village of good friends, right around the planet. During my day of spending time with Jesus, I would stay here, and Jesus would stay here with me and all of us."

"After school, I would make good decisions, and be allowed to choose my own bedtime. Yah! I guess that's it, from your daily news, signing off, Young Andrew."

Young Andrew checked his essay, then pressed send to his teacher. He sat back, wondering where all his ideas came from. From Jesus, and his Don't Worry Worm. "Wow!"

Ms. Rosehill said the same thing. "Wow, that's a great story. Banned the boring, all right." She read Young Andrew's story to the class. One of big boys gave him the thumbs up sign.

Bree turned around and winked, then popped a Valentine card on his desk at the end of the day in Grade Six. Naughty Cupid. Young Andrew winked back at her, and they walked home together.

Young Andrew had done it. He had kicked his own goals that day. He lay on his bed, looking at the Valentine Card from Bree. He rolled around, laughing. Maybe he wouldn't be single for long. His future in Grade Six looked bright ahead. Kids just wanted to have fun. His Don't Worry Worm smiled. Jesus and Young Andrew were besties, staying together, so everyone would believe in miracles.

January 09, 2024 18:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
19:29 Jan 09, 2024

If only we would all walk with Jesus daily. Much more love in the world.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.