0 comments

Romance Sad

Carlie still wears his ring. Two entwined hearts with pink gems inside them. 

Every day is a repeat of the next. Carlie wakes alone, the bed empty beside her. She cooks a small breakfast, barely enough to fill herself up, and walks to the balcony where he gave her the ring all those years before. As if the sheer force of her wishes will bring him back. 

What has happened has happened, she tells herself. You can’t change the past or bring people back from death. 

Yet something inside Carlie longs to find him, him with the deepest, darkest blue eyes she’d ever seen. 

Him, with the smooth voice and the brightest smile. 

Him, who kissed and loved her. 

Him, who was loyal to the end. 

It wasn’t always like that. Once, two hearts were entwined. Now, both of them are gone. 

>>>

“Come with me for the break,” Evan said, holding Carlie’s hand tightly. 

“Why? Are you going somewhere?” Carlie asked. Evan was her boyfriend. They’d only started really dating about two weeks ago.

“Yeah. My aunt and uncle’s old cabin up near the Smoky Mountains. It’s really old,” Evan said, smiling at the memory of the cabin. 

“The Smokies? That’s kinda far,” Carlie pointed out.

“It’ll be fine. You’ll go, won’t you? Please come, Carlie. You’ll love my aunt and uncle’s cabin. I promise,” Evan said eagerly. He looked at Carlie with his dark blue eyes, and she nodded. 

“I’ll come with you,” Carlie agreed, smiling. Evan smiled back. 

>>>

The cabin was beautiful. A white dusting of snow spread over everything, making it look like a winter wonderland. A small balcony, only big enough for about two people looked over the mountains. 

“This is beautiful!” Carlie squealed, stepping out of the car, and picking up some snow in her gloved hand. 

“Told you, didn’t I?” Evan replied, cockily getting out of the car by where Carlie was standing.

The inside of the cabin was cozy and warm. Soft carpets blanketed the floor, and in the living room, leather couches surrounded a big fireplace with logs already in it. 

Behind the couches was a kitchenette and a small table with two chairs. Two doors led out of the living room and into a bathroom and bedroom. 

“We’ll have to share a room if that’s okay with you. I can always sleep on the couch instead,” Evan said sheepishly. 

“I’ll be fine,” Carlie said, smiling at Evan. 

The balcony connected to the bedroom and Carlie immediately opened the sliding door and stepped outside. Evan joined her. 

“So, is it everything you hoped?” Evan asked. Carlie looked at him. 

“Everything and more.”

>>>

The next day, Carlie woke up and Evan’s side of the bed was empty. She groggily went to the kitchen and was greeted by Evan crushing her into a hug. 

“Ready for the day?” he asked. 

“The only thing I’m ready for is breakfast,” she replied, squirming out of Evan’s hug and sitting down in front of a giant plate of pancakes. 

The two spent their first day doing a puzzle and talking together. Carlie enjoyed every moment of the simple life. Since Evan’s relatives’ cabin was so old and rustic, it didn’t have running water, electricity, or internet. Carlie liked it that way. She got to do things she’d never done before, like washing dishes by hand instead of throwing them in the dishwasher. 

By day four, Carlie and Evan had become so suited to not doing things the modern way, they had completely ditched their phones and settled on writing letters to their family. 

Dear Mom, Dad, and fam,

I think Carlie likes Aunt Nora and Uncle Pat’s cabin. She hums to herself while she washes the dishes and the clothes, and smiles a lot. 

Dad, I really like Carlie. Do you think I should ask her to marry me yet? I’ve already bought the ring, but I feel like only two weeks and three months of being together isn’t enough. What should I do?

Mom, I miss having you reminding me to make sure Beth gets home on time. It’s very quiet and peaceful here, something I think you’d like. Maybe you and Dad will visit us after we get married here?

Hi, Beth. You miss me yet? I miss you a little. Not as much as I miss you asking if you can borrow my phone charger. That never gets old, does it?

Your Son,

Evan

>>>

The sixth day dawned bright and happy. Evan had made Carlie breakfast-in-bed, and they watched the sunrise together from the bedroom’s windows. 

Around ten a.m., it started to snow softly. White flakes drifted lazily to the ground, nestling against the fallen leaves. 

It looks so poetical, like a scene from a storybook, Carlie thought. She was on the balcony and was trying to read but the beauty of the snow day kept distracting her. 

Little did Carlie know, in the living room Evan was preparing to ask for her hand. He paced across the carpet, planning every word. Soon, he had an entire speech ready should Carlie turn him down. 

Carefully and quietly, Evan slid the sliding door open and crept outside, not bothering to close it. He got down on one knee and cleared his throat. Carlie turned around, surprised by his sudden appearance. 

“I just saw the prettiest cardinal, Eva--” Carlie stopped talking immediately. She stared at the beautiful ring squeezed in a white velvety box. Two entwined hearts with pink gems inside of them.

“Carlie, you are the best woman I know. You are kind, loving, and caring. You know exactly what to say and do at any given time, and you are always so inclusive. You said yes to come on this trip with me, even when you knew it was more than just a date, and that we were treading on thin ground.

“I ask you now the same question I asked you when we started this. Will you stay with me forever, and be mine forever, Carlie?” Evan asked tentatively. He didn’t want to scare Carlie, just to marry her. 

“Of course, Evan. I say yes now, and even if we had to do it all again, I would still say yes to you. Always, always,” Carlie replied. Evan pulled her in a hug and kissed her. 

>>>

It was a week after Carlie and Evan had gotten engaged. They were driving back to their families to tell them the news and then to plan their wedding. 

Evan was driving, and the radio was playing. Carlie was reading a magazine from the last gas station they’d stopped at. 

A large semi-truck was cruising behind them, and at first, Carlie paid no notice to it. But gradually, it kept inching closer to the back of the couple’s car. 

“Evan, change lanes, honey. That semi-truck is getting way too close,” Carlie said. Evan nodded and started to go to the lane on the right. 

Then the semi-truck swerved violently, knocking into the back of the car. Carlie screamed, but no sound came from Evan. She heard tires squeal against the pavement, but didn’t care. Evan wasn’t moving in the seat beside her. 

“Evan! Evan, do you hear me?” Carlie asked, fear pouring into her voice like a waterfall into the sea. No reply. Carlie frantically crawled out of the damaged car. A police car screeched to a stop near Carlie. 

“Can you help me? My fiance isn’t responding!” Carlie yelled. The policeman nodded and hurried to Evan’s body. She saw his eyes gradually start to open, fluttering a bit.  Carlie rushed to his side. 

“Evan! I thought I lost you,” Carlie said. 

“Keep. . .the. . .ring,” Evan moaned. 

“What?” Carlie asked, confused. 

“Just. . .keep it,” Evan repeated, and then went limp in Carlie’s arms. She swallowed a cry. 

“I’m so sorry,” the policeman crouching behind Carlie said. She could only nod.

The day started with two entwined hearts and ended with none. When Evan died, he’d taken Carlie’s heart with him. 

>>>

Carlie stood on the balcony, vividly remembering Evan’s proposal. She had been so full of life, of hope, of longing for the future. Now the future she had so wanted was shattered, its tiny fragments scattered at her feet. 

She glanced at her ring. 

Two entwined hearts, with pink gems inside them.

January 20, 2021 23:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.