0 comments

Friendship Contemporary

   The server, a man dressed far sharper than I was, dropped off the bread basket at our table before spinning away. I was left with Marcus who’d invited me to dinner after somehow figuring out I was in town. 

   “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?” He chuckled, “I haven’t seen you since what? High school?”  

   Marcus was seated across from me and broke some bread before offering me a piece.

   I took it and nodded, “About that long.” 

   He smiled and took a bite before using it to point out the door, “I was just telling my wife I’d been thinking about you. I’ve seen the rest of the group out and about before. I live across the street from David but I haven’t seen you in ages!” 

   I nodded, “Yeah, how are you two? Is marriage any fun?” 

   Marcus smiled distantly, “It’s like having a best friend you can do anything with.” 

   He laughed, “And I mean anything.” 

   I didn’t pry for details. I’d known him for years even if they weren’t recent. I didn’t really have to ask to know what was going on in that head of his. 

   “Sounds fun,” I said, “Not sure if I could muster the effort though. Buying a ring? Too expensive? Settling down? It’ll feel like a chain.” 

   “It’s a very comfortable chain I can assure you. It helps when there’s two carrying it.” 

   “I’m sure,” I yawned, “Sorry I couldn’t make the wedding by the way. I was out of town that week.” 

   He raised his hands, “Water under the bridge. I can send you pictures if you feel left out. Maybe photoshop you in? I’ve been teaching Paris to do that. She's not half bad.” 

   “Nowhere near your skill, I’d imagine.” 

   He chuckled, “You’d be surprised. She sets her mind on stuff pretty quickly. Particularly if she thinks she can beat me at it.” 

   I smiled and took a sip of the wine, more for appearances really. I couldn’t stand its taste otherwise, “Are you saying she can?” 

   “I’m saying she thinks she can and that’s frightening enough.” He raised his glass and smiled. 

   “To the frightening women in our lives!”

  “To the frightening woman in your life,” I amended. We toasted and I took another sip. It tasted as poor as ever. Not for lack of aging though. The waitress had said the stock this had come from exceeded sixty years. 

   “Now tell me,” I said, “Where does a game designer get the money for wine like this? Did you have to borrow money from your own wife just to get a drink?” 

   “Hardly,” He said, “Every penny of this fine beverage was worked for by yours truly, Marcus Georgi, game designer extraordinaire. Paris did have to drive me though. She hates me taking the Uber for some reason.” 

   “Of all the things she’d be afraid of,” I mused. 

   He nodded, “Of all the things.”

  Marcus leaned back in his chair and took out a menu from the table, he pointed at me with it, “Have you been here before?” 

   I gestured to my blazer I’d salvaged from a thrift shop, “I can hardly afford the necessary clothes to get in never mind the money for the food so no.”

   “Ah, don’t worry about it,” He said, “Give it a few more years, you’ll find someone.”

  I began flipping through the menu, there wasn’t a thing below thirty bucks. 

   I flicked my eyes up from reading to look at him, “Define someone.” 

   “Sure,” He said, “It’s either a publisher or a wife that makes twice what you do.” 

   “We can’t all have Paris for a partner.” I said, “And I’d much rather have a publisher anyway.” 

   He laughed, “What about a beautiful publisher, who happens to catch your eye?” 

   “I’d feel a little odd snuggling with my publisher even if I was married to her. My mind doesn’t work that way.” 

   “I can understand that,” He said teasingly, “But think about this! You’re with her and you’re sweet talking and then you say, ‘Hey I’ve got the best idea for a story!’” 

   I laughed, “Find me a woman who would put up with a guy like that, and I’ll give you my house.” 

   “Already have one, but I’ll take it.” 

   Marcus looked up as if suddenly interested in me, “You said house? I thought you had an apartment.” 

   “I did.” I said, “It’s my mom’s house,” 

   “Ah.”

  “Rent got too expensive for minimum wage.” 

   He nodded and took a sip of his wine. He was more elegant when he held it. Like he cherished it. I could only ever pretend. 

   “If you don’t mind me saying,” He began, “I remember when we all thought you would be the one to make it.” 

   I snorted, “I thought that was Paris.” 

   He nodded, “I believe at that point, according to her anyway, she was already there. But come on, Ian! You were the one who was going places! So full of ideas, it might be sore for you, but I’d like to know, since we haven’t talked since graduation, what happened?” 

   I smiled, “It’s a sad story actually. Are you ready to cry? That tie looks expensive.”

   He leaned up in his seat, “I’m all ears, and please, Paris found this at Marshall's.” 

   I gave a light scoff, “You know, this is an improvement for me, in a social sense anyway, usually people leave after ‘hello’.”

   “Ah, just get on with it. All the juicy details if you please.” I lifted my menu to him and he amended, “After you find something to eat. Heaven forbid you go hungry before the story's over.”

   I flipped through it quickly before settling on something that resembled an upscale sandwich and setting it on the table again with a flourish. I turned to Markus. 

   “It started my first year of college.”

  He nodded, “I remember wondering why you hadn’t called. What happened?” 

   I laughed, “A girl.” 

   Marcus raised an eyebrow, “I hadn’t expected that from you.”

   “I’m just full of surprises then.” My eyes became unfocused as I thought back to those days.  

   Does she still miss me, I wonder...

   “Ian?” Marcus asked me, “You there?”

   I blinked, “Yeah, but I met her and the year went by faster than I could blink and it passed and I realized I hadn’t talked with any of you. None of you reached out anyway so it was really just her and me for a year.”

  I laughed, “I thought it was the best year of my life until of course…” 

   “She left?” He guessed.

   I sighed, “She transferred. We’d talked about it for weeks before it happened but once she was gone… I haven’t talked to her since.” 

   He raised an eyebrow, “You’re sure it’s not the phone?” 

   “I called her before she left a lot. It’s definitely not that which means… It's me.” I deflated a little. Saying it aloud made it far too real. 

   “Have you tried calling her?” Marcus asked, “I’m just seeing you for the first time in years but you’ve got to try something, man.” 

   I nodded, “Yeah,” 

   The server came back with a pen and we ordered. As it turned out, what I’d thought was a sandwich was in fact a type of burger without the meat of course as apparently, that’s not fancy enough for such an upscale place. 

   “Maybe I’ll call her,” I said. A surge of energy went through me and I stood up. The chair scraped against the marble as I dialed up her contact and called her. 

   This was it. Marcus gave me a thumbs up and I smiled back. I hadn’t felt like this since I’d met her. I was going to get her back! 

   Then, the phone buzzed. Once, twice, three times, and then a fourth. 

   Then it went silent and I lowered the phone to my side. 

   Marcus grimaced, “She’s probably just not home.” 

   “That was her cell.” 

   He sighed, “Just keep trying, it’s alright.” 

   And so I rang again. 

   Ever awaiting an answer. 

July 02, 2021 11:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.