Closing Shift Opening Kiss

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a story about a first or last kiss.... view prompt

2 comments

Teens & Young Adult Romance Friendship

Alex and Claudia were working the closing shift at the theater. Claudia turned off the box office lights while Alex swept up a pile of spilled popcorn. "Hey, superstar, you missed one," she teased, her voice light in the empty space.

Alex glanced down, a smirk playing on his lips. "That? Oh, it's a special one—left it there just for you," he quipped, tossing the rest of the popcorn into the trash. Their uniforms, a throwback to a less stylish era, itched uncomfortably against their skin. Claudia tugged at her vest, grimacing. "These things are torture. And after tonight? I'm convinced they're cursed."

"Yeah, cursed to deal with the worst of the worst," Alex agreed, dumping his dustpan and leaning on the broom like a makeshift staff. "Did you see the 'blue ice incident' with that bratty kid? His mom just watched!"

Claudia chuckled, leaning against the counter. "Oh, I saw. Your face was priceless." She noticed Alex's demeanor soften around her, a change from his usual reserve, especially around the female staff. Their coworkers had their theories about Alex's love life, or the apparent lack of one, often nudging him about the girls.

"Man, why don't you give it a shot with one of them?" Mike, a coworker, had nudged him on more than one occasion.

Alex just shrugged it off with a smirk. "Not interested, man."

The night Jessica managed to get them scheduled together marked the start of something new. As they manned the box office, their banter flowed easily. "So, how's it going, Mr. Serious?" Claudia asked, her tone mockingly solemn.

"Ah, living the dream, one spilled popcorn at a time," Alex shot back, his grin telling of his amusement.

Their conversation meandered from school rivalries to volleyball and grades, revealing bits of their lives outside the theater. "Can you believe these people? They act like buying a ticket gives them the right to own us," Alex vented, frustration seeping into his voice.

Claudia laughed, shaking her head. "You and your rants. But honestly? I get it."

A sudden bang on the box office window startled them, breaking their bubble. It was Mike and Ditrell, two of the ushers, grinning like fools. "Yo, Alex, stop flirting and come help us!"

Claudia's smile faltered, a hint of disappointment in her eyes, but Alex just rolled his eyes. "Give me a minute," he sighed, before turning to Claudia. "Duty calls."

Their relationship blossomed subtly, with shared glances and inside jokes becoming the norm. One day, Alex surprised Claudia with a chocolate milkshake, a peace offering for a particularly rough day with the customers. "Thought you could use a bit of sweetness in your day," he said, his eyes not quite meeting hers.

Claudia's heart fluttered at the gesture. "You're not so bad yourself, Alex."

As the weeks turned into months, their connection deepened, though neither dared to make the first move. Their coworkers, particularly Jessica, couldn't help but push the envelope. "So, what's the deal with you two?" she'd probe, her curiosity piqued by their chemistry.

"We're... friends?" Claudia ventured, her voice uncertain, betraying her feelings.

As Claudia and Jessica were chatting by the concession stand, Alex walked by, his arms laden with heavy boxes from a delivery.

"Check out Mr. Muscles over there," Jessica whispered, nudging Claudia playfully. Claudia's gaze followed Alex, her eyes tracing the lines of his arms as he maneuvered the boxes with ease. There was an undeniable strength in his movements, a certain grace that caught her attention every time.

"Yeah, he's great… good at his job," Claudia managed to, her cheeks warming with a blush. Jessica raised an eyebrow, her grin wide. "Oh, please. You're not fooling anyone, Claudia. You've got it bad for him."

Claudia opened her mouth to protest but found no words. Instead, she watched as Alex set down the boxes, wiped his brow, and shot them a quick, oblivious smile before heading back for more. The sight left a flutter in her stomach, a mix of admiration and something more tender.

Her feelings, already a tangled mess, seemed to tighten at the sight of him. It was clear now, more than ever, how much she was drawn to him, not just for his looks but for the person he was—kind, funny, and unexpectedly gentle.

Later that day, as Claudia and Jessica continued their shift, Jenny, the new concession stand girl, with the eye-catching tats, sauntered by Alex holding a tray of nachos. "Hey Alex, you're so tall, can you help me grab that cardboard from the top shelf?"

As Alex fetched it, Jenny smiled coyly. "You know, I get off at 10 if you want to hang out..." Claudia watched them from a distance, her heart sinking as jealousy began to rise.

"Nah, I have to close tonight, then I'm chilling with Claudia," Alex declined politely. Claudia's heart skipped a beat, a mix of surprise and elation bubbling inside her.

As the night rolled on, Jenny, the new girl, seemed to have set her sights on Alex. She was laying it on thick, flirting non-stop, always finding some excuse to swing by his station. At one point, she even tossed a handful of popcorn on the floor, giggling, "Oops, guess you'll have to clean that up, Alex."

Alex, though, wasn’t biting. He kept his cool, sweeping up the popcorn without giving Jenny the reaction she was looking for. His lack of interest only seemed to spur her on more until, finally, she threw her hands up and said, "I don't know what's wrong with you, dawg. You must be gay or something," her voice loud enough for a few nearby heads to turn.

Claudia, who'd been watching this unfold from her spot by the ticket counter, felt a mix of annoyance and relief. Annoyance because Jenny's antics were getting on her last nerve, and relief because Alex wasn’t falling for it. Still, that comment about Alex stung a bit, not because it mattered if he was, but because it was just so... Jenny to say something like that.

Yet, misunderstanding brewed between them. Claudia, feeling hurt and overlooked, gave Alex the cold shoulder, leading to a tense confrontation. "What's wrong?" Alex asked, genuinely puzzled by her change in demeanor. "I saw you with Jenny. It seemed like both of you were cozy," Claudia admitted, her voice tight with a mix of accusation and hurt.

Alex's confusion cleared, replaced by a moment of understanding. "Jenny? Nah, it's not what you think. I'm not into her—she's been the one coming at me all night, trying to stir things up," he explained, his tone earnest, hoping to dispel Claudia's concerns. "She even said I was gay because I wasn't responding to her. Can you believe that?"

"Do you like her?" Claudia's voice was hesitant, laced with an emotion she hadn't intended to reveal.

"No," Alex replied without hesitation, his gaze locking with hers, hoping to convey the sincerity of his feelings.

Claudia shook her head, a mixture of relief and something else—perhaps hope—flashing across her face. "Good, because... Well, good."

Later, as closing time enveloped the theater in a familiar routine, Alex and Claudia found themselves alone again, this time amidst the tasks of shutting down. Alex, flashlight in hand, announced, "Last check of the night. You in?"

"Wouldn't miss it," Claudia replied, a playful challenge in her tone.

Their usual banter resumed as they walked through the dimly lit corridors, their earlier conversation now a distant memory. The atmosphere was charged with a playful energy, their teasing more frisky than before. Claudia would dart ahead, hiding in the shadows, only for Alex to find her, his flashlight beam revealing her hiding spot. Each time he caught her, their laughter would fill the space, echoing off the walls.

At one point, Alex playfully grabbed Claudia's wrist, pulling her gently into the light. "Gotcha," he said, his voice teasing but tender.

Claudia, pretending to struggle, laughed as she was drawn closer to him. "Oh no, whatever will I do now?" she joked, her eyes sparkling with mirth.

Their playful teasing continued, a dance of shadows and light as they moved from one theater to the next. It was a game of cat and mouse, but with an undercurrent of something deeper, a connection that had grown stronger through their shared moments.

Reaching the final theater, Alex turned to Claudia, the usual jest fading from his eyes, replaced by a more intense, earnest look. Without a word, he stepped closer, his hands finding hers in the dark.

The air between them shifted as Claudia confessed her jealousy, her feelings laid bare. "I like you, Alex. More than just a friend."

Alex's face broke into a wide smile, relief and affection mingling in his expression. "Finally," he breathed, closing the distance between them. "I've felt the same for so long."

Alex suddenly pulled Claudia close, both breathing hard as months of tension built. They kissed intensely like the world disappeared, only stopping when lips tingled numb. Alex cupped her face, his fingers tracing the outline of her lips. "You drive me crazy, Claudia," he whispered, his voice husky with desire. "Is that a bad thing?" she teased, her breath warm against his. "The best kind of crazy," he murmured, before their lips met again in a heated kiss.

Emerging later disheveled, Jessica spotted them first, dramatically fanning herself. "I guess Alex isn't gay after all!" she announced. Mike, Ditrell and other coworkers hooted but Alex and Claudia only had eyes for each other, finally together.

February 14, 2024 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Heather Kenealy
23:53 Feb 21, 2024

I liked this story. It felt like it could make a good longer teen-centric coming of age story. I did feel like Claudia's irritation at Alex after Jenny called him gay seemed forced since he was clearly not giving Jenny any attention, but ultimately it did read like an appropriate teenage girl response. Weren't we all so dramatic? Nice story overall.

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Winfield
14:45 Feb 22, 2024

Cute story. You put me right into the theater like I was one of the employees. The dialogue seemed genuine and flowed. It did feel like teenager angst and drama. Nice job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.