1 comment

General

It is a Saturday afternoon where Jack Bomer is resentfully driving with his wife Carol and their iphone addicted teenage daughter Chloe to see his parents during the summer. “Are you sure you wanna do this? You know we don’t have to see them,” said Jack. “Holy Christ, we talked about this,” Carol replied. “No we fought; that wasn’t talking.” “Fine, what?! What is it about your parents that you don’t like about them,” said Carol. “Because, they’re always super judgmental,” Jack said with pity. “Since when? They’re always really nice to us.” “Yeah, to you both. But yet I’m always viewed as a failure,” said Jack. “Could you stop being a pussy for once? We’re gonna have a nice weekend and that’s it.” “Yeah nice for you,” Jack muttered. “What?!” Jack became timid; “Nothing, I said nothing. Hey Chloe, later tonight you wanna watch that new Netflix movie? I heard it got good reviews.” “Sure I’d love to; just not with you and not that,” Chloe responded snarky, making Jack feel more miserable.


Jack and his family pull in at his parents cottage and his mother Kate runs out excited to see the family; “there they all are. How’s my favorite granddaughter?” “Hi mom,” Jack said while trying to be distant. “Oh it’s so good of you to take the time to visit us. How long has it been, two years,” Kate said to Jack making him feel guilty. “It’s been a year and four months, ma.” “Oh I guess my phone wasn’t working. I haven’t gotten a call in so long. Anyway come inside, I made iced tea. Your brother will be here in a few hours.” Jack carries the bags, making their way inside behind his family. 


They walk inside the kitchen “Dad around?” “He’ll be downstairs in a minute. You know your father is always working. You should try becoming a manager someday,” Kate says, pouring the iced tea. “I'm an office manager,”Jack replies. “You are? I thought you we’re still a desk clerk,” said his mother. “Mom I’ve been a office manager for six months now.” “Well I didn’t know. Maybe if you called once in a while, I’d be more up to speed with everything.” Carol joins in siding with his mother; “Yeah, you’re right; Jack basically comes home and just watches Netflix for the rest of the night. Call your family more, Jack.” 


Jack's father Mark sternly walks into the kitchen with the family. “Hey dad.” Mark welcomes Carol and Chloe, but mostly ignores Jack. “Hello Chloe. Hello Carol, so good to see you all. Well, I have to say. I didn't know you were coming.” “Yeah, it wasn't definite honestly,” Jack mopes. “I see. You know at work it is staff policy to put personal arrangements in writing about a month in advance,” said Mark. “Well, it really was a last minute thing.” Mark berates his son; “So, your phone wasn't working all last year then? Or the last three years, in fact? If I recall; we had this conversation the last time you visited.” Jack stands quite ashamed of himself. “Well they're here now. That's what counts,” said Carol. Mark still has his resentful look; “Ah, very well...good.Let’s all sit in the living room.” As the family walks outside the kitchen, Jack stops Carol; “did you see that?” “See what,” said Carol. “They’re doing what I said they do. They’re making me feel like I’m a failure. This is their typical passive aggressiveness,” Jack whined. “Jack stop being a pussy, just enjoy yourself.”


The Bomer’s sit inside the living room with Mark and Kate laughing with Carol, while Chloe is still browsing on her phone and Jack sits quietly feeling bored and alone. “So Chloe, how's school been for you,” Kate asked. “Good,” Chloe responds disinterested. “That’s an interesting shirt you’re wearing. Nasty Girl, is that a rock band,” Mark asked. “No.” “Dammit Chloe, I told you not to wear that. It’s too revealing,” said Carol. “My body.” “Jack are you gonna let her talk to me like that,” said Carol. Jack softly speaks to his daughter; “Hey Chloe could you please take off that shirt?” “No.” Mark assertively takes the phone from Chloe; “Listen, when you’re in my house you listen to your parents. Got it.” Chloe stubbornly leaves the living room and walks upstairs. “See that is how you take control. You gotta show them who’s boss,” Mark said while humiliating Jack. 


“Hey Carol, you mind helping me in the kitchen. I’m gonna start dinner,” Kate said breaking the awkward silence. Carol ditches her husband. “Why did you have to humiliate me in front of my wife?” “You think I humiliated you? Funny, I was a Navy Officer for twenty two years and look how you've turned out. You're a desk clerk and your daughter dresses like a whore while your wife steps on your balls. If you man up that would make you the boss again.” “I'm an office manager, dad,” Jack replied. “To what a dead end company that’s going under in four years. Glad you built four years of college debt working in the same place for ten years,” said Mark. “You don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m an office manager.”


As they bicker towards each other Jack’s near to do well brother walks inside; “What up, sluts.” Kate comes to hug Danny; “Danny how have you been? Wait have you been drinking?” “You know it,” said Danny. “Please tell me you took an Uber to get here.” “Hell no I got a ride,” said Danny. The rest of the family greets Danny. “Hey Karen, how are you,” Danny says while drunk. “It’s Carol.” “Huh?” “You called me Karen, when it’s Carol.” “What can I say? I’ve been drinking,” Danny says slurring.


Mark looks down at his son; “Dammit Danny; it’s three o’ clock and you're already drunk at my house.” “Does this surprise you,” Danny replied. “No, it doesn’t. You haven’t changed since you flunked out of college,” Mark said angrily. Danny doesn’t give his father eye contact; “You still bringing that up? I’m only twenty nine; I ain’t regretting nothing.” “I’m sure.” “Anyway, I’ll be upstairs for a few. You guys cooking food.” “Yes we are; you disappoint me, Danny. You know that,” said Mark. Danny mocking his father; “I’m sure.”


Danny walks upstairs to the bathroom, with the door open, pulling out a small ziplock bag. “Nice.” Chloe looks at her uncle; “What are you doing?” Danny tries hiding his bag: “Oh, Chloe you scared the crap out of me.” “What you got there?” “Okay I’ll tell you but you can’t tell anyone. You have to be really cool about this,” said Danny. “Okay, sure,” said Chloe. Danny shows her the bag; “These are shrooms. It’s a psychedelic drug, makes me feel happy when I'm around your grandpa. It’s a fun way to pass the time.” “Okay.” “Are you gonna be cool about this?” Chloe shrugs; “Yeah whatever; I’ve done those before to be popular at school.” “You do this to be popular?” “Yeah why do you do them?” Danny carelessly starts consuming the drugs; “To get wrecked, son.”


Downstairs Carol is continuing to have a good time with Mark and Kate while Jack is sitting alone on the stairs, until Carol finds Jack hiding. “Jack, what are you doing on the stairs?” “I thought you were on my side,” said Jack. “What?” “You seem to be ganging up on me laughing, making friends with my parents; making me feel like an outsider,” Jack whines. “Well what do you want me to do about it,” said Carol. “I want you to stop sympathizing with my parents,” Jack yells. First off, don’t you take that tone at me.” Jack pleads; “Sorry.” “I don’t know what the issue is. I like your parents. I don’t know why that's a crime. They're really nice to me and they’re more assertive than you. This whole time the only person in this house who hasn’t been nice, is you. This whole time you’ve been pouting on the stairs like a pussy.” Jack pleads to his dismay; “Sorry.” “Now go get Chloe, your mom is about to serve food.” 


As Jack walks upstairs and gets his daughter; he finds his brother crouched in a fetal position in the bathroom. “Dan, you good?” Jack rolls Danny around and sees his brother looking paranoid with his pupils dilated. “Dan are you okay,” Jack asked. Danny having a panic reaction; “I think I’m dying man. Ferris Bueller is Batman, is that right?” Jack looks around and sees the empty plastic bag; “Danny are you high, right now?” “I don’t know, yeah. Maybe. Yeah, I am.” With his lack of coordination, Jack picks up Danny by the shoulders; “Alright, I’m gonna bring you downstairs and we can enjoy some dinner.” “Government is coming for me man,” Danny said while freaking out. “I bet he is,” said Jack.


Jack carries him downstairs and seats Danny at the table, while everyone looks confused. “What the hell is wrong with him,” Kate said. “Nothing, the alcohol is just getting to him. Let's just eat our dinner,” said Jack. The Bomer’s start eating the ham on the table while Danny starts to drool from his mouth. “Hey dad, he’s starting to drool,” Chloe said while being disgusted. “Danny a you fucking high,” Kate shouted. Danny making a fool of himself; “I’m fine.” “You are as high as a fucking kite. God dammit you do this every time you come to visit. Did you know he was high,” Kate shouted at Jack. “What? No I didn't. I thought he was drunk,” said Jack. Kate screams at Jack; “God dammit and you stood there quietly. What if your brother was to OD right now? You never speak up; you’ve always been like that as a child.” Jack mutters; “Look, let's just eat. He’s fine. We'll think a lot clearer with some food inside us, okay.” 


“Stop trying to change the subject. You know what you did wrong,” Kate shouted. “Can everyone please stop shouting,” said Carol. “Yeah, why am I the bad guy, ma. He’s the one on drugs.” “It’s not about him being high. It’s about you not speaking up about it!” Mark slams his fists on the table; “Everyone shut the fuck up! Now everyone just relax and eat your dinner and we could just forget about Danny’s problem. Okay?” The family continues quietly eating while Danny becomes nauseous. “I’m gonna be sick,” Danny says while vomiting on Carol’s lap. “He just threw up on my dress,” Carol shouted. Mark gets up and picks his son up from his shoulders; “That’s it; I’ve had it up to here with you. I’m sick of your drug benders.” Mark throws Danny out of his house; “Don’t come back until you clean yourself up.” 


Carol looks at Jack from across the table; “You are useless, you know that? Sitting there like a lump while your dad takes charge.” “What did you want me to do,” said Jack. “You could’ve defended your wife, how bout that.” Jack humiliated; “I didn’t know that he was gonna throw up.” “You didn’t do anything; you didn’t even punch him. You just sat there quietly. My mother was right; I should’ve ended up with Scott Freeman. He would’ve defended me like a real man, compared to you.” Jack sits there sulking while he gets up to walk away from the kitchen and leaves his parents house.


Jack gets into his car for a drive, trying to blow some steam off, until he notices Danny walking down the sidewalk. Jack rolls down the window; “Dan, you okay?” Danny still looking intoxicated; “I’m fine. I’m heading to the train station.” “That’s like ten miles from here. You want me to maybe drive you there?” Danny hops in Jack’s car as Jack drives him to the train station. Jack picks up a bottle of water in his cup holder; “You want some water? It’s warm but you look like you need it.” Danny snatches the bottle and quickly gulps down the hot water; “Oh god I needed that. God damn I was thirsty.” “Yeah, no problem. Carol was really upset about her dress you know.” Danny shows no sign of regret; “Oh that sucks.” “You could at least apologize to my wife,” said Jack. “I don’t apologize for being me, Jack.”


Jack gets frustrated; “You know it's that kind of attitude as to maybe why your life-” Danny cuts Jack off; “My life what?! You saying my life sucks? Look at your life and you tell me who’s life is shit.” “Hey, I’m an office manager,” said Jack. “I’m not a dumbass; you clearly hate that job and you just want people to see you as important as dad.” “That is not true in any way.” “Oh really; then why did you bring me downstairs when I was high off my ass? You could‘ve put me to bed, but you brought me downstairs. Obviously you wanted to make yourself superior to me,” said Danny. Jack punches the roof of his car; “Well you don’t know what it’s like. Mom and dad think I’m a failure, my daughter thinks I’m a lousy father, my wife thinks I’m a loser. And yet you can do whatever you want and everyone praises you.”


“There you see that's your problem Jack. You let people walk all over you because you clearly wanna be liked by everyone. Nobody’s gonna ever respect you unless you stand up for yourself,” said Danny. “Well what can I do? I’m not dad. If I stand up to my wife she could divorce me and take the house,” Jack said in fear. “If you don’t stand up for yourself your wife will still divorce you and take the house.” Jack speaks his mind; “Should I have married Rhonda?” “Rhonda? As in Rhonda Luman?” “Yeah her,” said Jack. “You still talk to her?” “Well someone texts someone once in a while. She’s with that guy Arthur but I don’t think it’s going really good in their relationship,” said Jack. “Damn, I should definitely call her some time. She definitely needs someone like me to give her a good fucking,” said Danny.


“But she’s with Arthur.” “I don’t give a fuck. I get what I want,” said Danny. Jack becomes jealous; “See this is why I hate myself. You basically spent your whole life doing whatever you wanted to do while everyone wanted me to be the successful one.” “Well mom and dad kept your hands off you as a kid and you turned out great.” “You’re wrong; dad did once hit me. It was when I was six years old and I didn’t put my shoes on so he ended up beating me as if I was his punching bag. Mom just stood there looking like I was weak, and I spent my whole life thinking I’m pathetic.”


“What do you think I don’t have problems?! I used to get beaten up by dad all the time for everything I did, until dad said to me ‘you’re not even worth it anymore.’ Till this day no matter how many drugs I do; I can’t get that line out of my head. God, we have real issues.” “Look, I know this is a dark moment, but it does get better,” said Jack. “Jack, I never enjoyed life until I started doing drugs.” “Okay, I know that's not true,” said Jack. “It is true. I was miserable during childhood, just like you. The only time I ever feel happiness is when I snort a line of coke off some chick's titts at a party,” said Danny.


Jack replied; “I've seen you happy before that.” “Nah, man, it was fake. I'm happy with meth or shrooms.” Jack thinks of something to say; “Look, life gets better, okay?” “You keep fucking saying that, man, but you don't get it. I do drugs 'cause my body chemistry makes me wanna do drugs. I sleep all day, and I mostly want to kill myself when I'm awake. If I had crystal meth in my hand and a gun in the other, I would have a hard time choosing.” “Dan, listen to me. I think you need help. I can get you help,” said Jack. Danny gets furious; “Oh I get it, you know what fuck off! I was doing drugs for years and you didn't give a shit then. Pull this fucking car over; I can walk from here.”


Jack gets angry; “Oh, so I'm like your enabler?” “No I think you're just fucking selfish. The only reason you want me to get help is so that you can have something to fucking save and fucking feel good about yourself.” “That’s not true, shut up.” “Guess what Jack you're no fucking better than anyone else and your fucking life is as meaningless as mine.” Jack then lashes out in anger; “I said SHUT THE FUCK UP!” Jack punches Danny in the nose and while swerving on the road he nearly crashes into an oncoming car, but then pulls over getting off the adrenaline rush. “You okay,” said Jack. Danny stopping his nosebleed; “Yeah, how do you feel?” “Hey that felt really good,” said Jack. “Feels good to stand up for yourself once in a while doesn’t it?” Jack smiles; “Yeah; yeah it really does.” 


Jack drives Danny to the train station, where they both step outside the car. The two embrace, where they both feel they have both finally conquered their insecurities by facing death. “I think I’m gonna check myself into rehab,” Danny said in Jack’s ear. Jack’s only reply to his brother is; “Yeah, yeah you can do it. I believe in you.” As Danny walks to the train he turns and shouts out, “Hey, don’t forget about your self respect.” Jack proudly nods back at his brother taking in what he’s learned as he fearlessly drives back to the cottage.

August 07, 2020 01:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

21:10 Aug 10, 2020

This is the first story that connects to another short story I wrote and there’s more to come that will connect

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.