0 comments

General

She walks down the busy street, she's missed the bus. This happens frequently, she's not a morning person. She has no other choice, but to walk to school. The morning air is crisp, it is chilly, this is typical for the Fall. She steps over a puddle, making her way down the street. She weaves in and out, trying to avoid people. The sidewalks are busy in this area of town.


As she walks along, she comes to an intersection. On the corner is a little girl, no more than eight. She is crying. Feeling bad for the girl, she walks over.

“What's wrong?” she says, and the girl glances at her.

“I need to get to school, but I don't know how.” the girl says. “I'm lost.”

“Where do you go to school?” she asks.

“Adams.” the girl says, and she nods. It is three blocks in the wrong direction.

If you take her, you'll be late for school.

But I can't just leave her here.

“I'll take you,” she says and reaches out. The girl takes her hand, and they cross the road. Walking past the market, the shoe store, and the bakery. They hook a right at Jefferson street and continue until Sutton Street. That's where they turn and walk until First Street. When they get to First Street, Adams Elementary is right there. She takes the girl inside and explains to the secretary that she found her wandering the streets. Before long she's back outside.

You've wasted too much time.

She quickens her pace, she needs to get to school, but she's walked into construction. The sidewalk is blocked, she has to turn around.

Great, of all days, it has to be this one.

She turns around and walks in the opposite direction.

You wouldn't be in this mess if you'd gotten the bus.

I know, I tried.

Try harder, your going to be late for school.

As she walks down the street, she's avoiding as many people as she can. She doesn't want to bump into them. She makes her way further and comes to a fork. Douglas Avenue or Stanley Street both will take her where she needs to go.

Stanley Street is better.

She goes down Douglas Avenue instead, she thinks the scenery is better. As she is walking down the street, she sees a couple arguing on the doorstep.

Keep moving, and mind your business.

She keeps walking, she doesn't want to get involved with someone's drama.

You're pressed for time, you're going to be late.

She walks along the sidewalk and sidesteps a man who nearly knocks her over carrying a parcel.

He should look where he is going.

She continues her way down Douglas Avenue until she reaches the church.

You'll cut off ten minutes if you cut through the churchyard.

She knows this to be true, the churchyard comes out near the school. However, bad things happen in the churchyard, and she'd rather be safe then be on time. So, she chooses to go around the churchyard.

It's only for ten minutes.

Ten minutes you don't have.

She walks on, till she reaches the corner and she turns onto Wright Street. The school isn't that far now, only about a block, maybe two. She walks along, past the guy working on his car, past the mother walking her young child, past the man collecting bottles. These people are all doing their daily routines, and here she is interrupting their day because the stupid bus came too early.

The bus was on time, you were late.

She walks along Wright Street, past the daycare, past the car lot, past the paper dispenser on the corner. Someone is picking up the mail from the mailbox. As she passes he says.

“Hello.”

“Hi,” she says, but she does not linger. She is late for school.

It would have been faster going through the churchyard.

She walks along, nearly there.

How much trouble will you be in for being late?

What will your punishment be?

She's walking into the schoolyard and notices a class outside. They are playing soccer in the field.

Not your class.

She walks into the school and signs in, the secretary looks at her as if she's done something wrong.

Your late, that's what's wrong.

“Thank you,” she says and walks out of the office. As she walks down the empty corridor, she can only be relieved to finally get here.

It's been a long morning.

Because you missed the bus.

However, when she enters, the class is already in session and every head turns to her.

Because you're late.

“Sorry,” she whispers and takes her seat. She's listening contently to everything that's going on and happy to be there. But, not happy that everyone is still looking at her as if she's done something wrong.

You were late, that's why.

The bell rings, and she moves on to her next class. On the way, she bumps into a boy and she drops her books.

Just great now you'll be late for your next class as well.

She scrambles to pick up her books quickly, and once she has them, she stands. Then she sprints to her next class.

Hopefully, you don't get caught running in the halls.

“Stop!” Someone shouts, “No running in the halls!” She slows her pace to a walk or maybe a crawl.

It's definitely a crawl.

Sure enough, by the time she reaches her next class, she is late.

Can anything else go wrong?

She walks in, flushing as she takes her seat, and everyone is staring at her again. Can she just have one day this doesn't happen?

Sure, just don't miss the bus.

She sits in class and tries not to think about the eyes on the back of her head. It could be a lot worse, she could have done something really embarrassing.

Being late all the time is embarrassing.

She's sure that no one cares that she was late aside from the teacher. It's not like her being late affected them any.

You were late, they were on time. They were learning, and you interrupted them.

So, maybe it did affect them a little.

You affected them a lot.

I wouldn't say a lot.

Yes, you would.

She feels bad, and she shifts around in her seat. Her eyes locked on the chalkboard.

You should.

The bell rings, and that signals lunch.

At least you can't be late for lunch.

She arrives in the cafeteria, and she buys her food. However, on her way to a table she trips over someone's foot and her lunch goes everywhere.

Way to go spaz.

Everyone is laughing at her, and she can't blame them.

What is wrong with you today.

I don't know.

Well, get it together.

She manages to get through that afternoon without incident. It's not an easy thing to do for someone like her.

You're always drawing attention to yourself.

They have an assembly and they make their way into the auditorium, it's dark, and she trips and falls down a small set of steps.

Genius.

She stands gracefully and shakes it off. But, the damage is done. Everyone is staring at her again.

I can't believe how much of an idiot you can be.

After the assembly, they get to go home.

Finally, this day is nearly over.

As she is walking to the bus stop, she remembers that she needs to go to the mall first. So, she turns around and walks in the other direction. She is pressed for time, the bus will be there any moment. When she enters the mall, she has two options. The stairs or the elevator.

The stairs are safer.

The Elevator is faster.

She chooses the elevator, and she gets on with five other people.

It's going to get stuck.

It's not going to get stuck.

It's going to crash.

No, it isn't.

You're going to be stuck in here with these people you don't know.

No, I'm not.

She closes her eyes and waits for the ding. It comes and she steps off the elevator.

When she enters the store, the clerk watches her intensely.

She thinks you're up to no good.

She walks over to the clerk and tells her what she's looking for and the clerk helps her. Then, she leaves the store. She's walking through the mall, past the lady with the screaming baby, past the group of teenagers at the bench.

Should I take the elevator?

Take the stairs instead.

This time, she takes the stairs and exits the mall. She's later than she thinks and the bus is coming down the hill.

You're going to miss it.

No, I'm not.

Yes, you are.

No, I'm not.

She's running now, as fast as her feet can carry her. The bus is stuck at the light.

You're not going to make it.

Yes, I will.

No, you won't.

She runs faster, her breathing is heavy. She makes it to the bus stop just as the bus arrives. She sighs in relief as she climbs onto the bus.

It's time to go home, the day is done.


August 18, 2019 01:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.