ReedsyCast: Evolving

Written in response to: Start or end your story with a person buying a house plant. ... view prompt

14 comments

Creative Nonfiction Friendship LGBTQ+

CW: Language

*Note: This is my ReedsyCast! A majority of the characters and plot comes from a few people here. Those people are Jasey Lovegood, Echo Ross, and another individual. 

Here is the link to the plant being bought: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3867430/Mystery-begonias-bizarre-BLUE-leaves-solved-Shimmering-colour-allows-plant-harvest-light.html

Johnson's P.O.V

------------------------------

The sound of my foot tapping against the gravel road and the soft howl of the wind was filling the air. I stared at the incoming car with my arms folded, tucking my hair behind my ears whenever it whipped a little to much in my face. It was so annoying- waiting for them and the wind. "Come on." I mutter to myself. I glance back, looking at the small little cabin, before giving the car another glare.

After a few minutes I decided to give up, and I walked down the the road making the car slow down a lot. I shoved my hands in the pockets of my pants, continuing my glare at the car when I heard how loud the music was blasting. Eventually I heard the chaotic shouts of those within. The car soon slowed down, and a certain ravenette peeked her head out of the window. 

Of course she's the one driving. I thought with a loud exhale. The music was louder, and soon I recognized it to be a metal version of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. My shoulders drooped, standing in front of the car.. "Maxlynn!" A voice called from inside the car. I chuckle heading towards one of the doors in the back.

"Maxie! Get in!" She grinned.

"What do you think I'm doing, Inferna?" I ask opening the door, climbing inside.

"You're just so slow sometimes." She says as she makes the car turn around. 

"Do you know where we're going?" The one next to me asked. I shook my head to his question.

"You were the one who suggested it, Maxlynn." Eli said sharply. I chuckle again- seeing his knuckles bone white as he clutched onto that little hand on the top of the car. 

"She doesn't drive that fast." I comment. "And just because I suggested it, doesn't mean I remember doing such." I say buckling up. 

"We're going to that old mansion in Karter Woods." Kylo says with wide eyes. I smile hearing the excitement in his voice.

"The great Mansion Flower Park." I say with a sigh, leaning back. 

"I wonder if there'll be any dead bodies." Inferna comments, a certain look in her eyes. 

"Don't." Eli responds. I look at the poet. "It's a plant store- not some haunted mansion." I rose a brow. Wasn't he usually interested in that sort of thing?

"It would make an interesting tale." I offer. He shook his head.

"I don't want get involved with the cops again. It's such a hassle." I laugh nervously, and he made a point to give me a look in the review mirror. Inferna laughs at his comment, and Kylo looks at all of us like we're crazy. And to be fair.. Two of us are. I thought with a sigh.

"You all scare me sometimes." The little one says in a whisper. 

"Sorry kiddo. Tis is what you get hangin' out with us juniors!" Inferna exclaims with a big grin. I raise a brow, watching the review mirror.

"You do remember your the only junior, yes?" Kylo asks, eyeing Eli and I, most likely looking to us for confirmation. Eli nods, making Inferna reel back in surprise.

"Careful!" Eli hisses, his hands on the dashboard. The majority of us laughed. He didn't like cars much. I wonder why. I thought tilting my head.

"What are you, Maxie and Eli then?" She asks turning out of my driveway.

"I'm a sophomore- and I'm pretty sure they're seniors." Kylo answers. I grin big.

"Indeed we are." I say proudly. Eli merely rolled his eyes. 

"Oh?" Inferna looks at Eli, and then eyes me, before snapping her attention back to the road when Eli give her a glare. "Do I sense some tension?~" She asked in a singsong voice. Kylo joined her implication with a little "OoOooo?~" I laugh and shake my head.

"Not at all." The two of us say. 

"Mhm, suuuurrrreee." Inferna says finally making it to your average paved road. 

"Don't make assumptions, Inferna." He says looking out the window.

"I have to agree," I say with a yawn. "Eli's neat but definitely not my type." 

"If I didn't know what you do, I would have disagreed with you on that one." Eli says with a slight laugh in his voice. 

Kylo rose a brow looking at the two of us, before leaning to me, whispering in my ear: "What does he mean by that?" I smile to myself, making a little shoo-ing motion.

"It's nothing." I respond, quietly. He gives me a look. "Really Ky, nothing." I say returning the look. He nods slowly mouthing "Suuuurrreee" before facing forwards once more. The sound of the metal Beethoven music got noticeably louder.

"Inferna." 

"What Eli?" She snaps. Ky inhaled sharply, watching the two with wide eyes. I sigh. "I thought you liked Beethoven-"

"I do," He motions to Inferna's phone, the source of the music. "But not that." 

"It was a compromise, remember?" Ky reminded the two. "Let's be civil."

"With Inferna?" Eli asked with a mocking laugh.

"Hey!" I inhale deeply shifting my weight. I spared a glance at Ky, noticing he was just as uncomfortable. This is gonna be a fun trip. I thought to myself, resting my head against the window.

"It's true." Eli mutters, bitter. 

"Deer!" Ky shouted, interrupting whatever Inferna's response would be. I quickly looked over to where he was pointing too, and smile.

"It's a family." I comment. 

"Cool." Inferna said coldly, not stopping to let any of us take pictures. Ky's shoulders dropped.

"For a junior- you're acting like quite the freshie." He says, eyeing Inferna. The corner of her lip twitched.

"Inferna." I say sharply.

"Hmph." Kylo gave me a look and I nodded, agreeing with his quiet, unspoken words. Those two were gonna be the death of the group, one way or another.

Rose's P.O.V

------------------------------

I knew the fight between Eli and I were always small and petty and sometimes it was me who started the fight- but it seems the others always always took his side! I look at the review mirror, automatically smiling seeing Kylo leaning against Maxie, fast asleep. I look back at the road occasionally glancing at my phone, taking note of what song was playing. "Why don't you pick something, Eli?" I ask. 

Despite not looking at him, I knew he was surprised. I felt a pang in my chest then. I glanced at him nodding towards my phone. "Well? Choose something." I say turning onto the dirt path. 

"You're serious?" He asks.

"Mhm." He paused for a moment before picking up my phone. When the song came on, I looked at him in confusion. "What is this?" I ask peeking over his shoulder. He puts the phone back down, pointing to the road.

"Pay attention." He says. I do as he says. 

"Okay, but seriously-"

"Her Voice Resides, by Bullet for My Valentine." Maxie interrupts, answering my question.

"Bullet for My.. Valentine?" I repeated with a raised brow.

"I'm surprised too." Maxie says looking in the review mirror. "Never pinned Eli as a Bullet for My Valentine fan." Eli chuckled.

"And that's saying something." I look between the two before nodding a bit. 

"Okay then." I glance at my phone, paying attention to the lyrics as I drove.

"...I know you're listening, can you hear me

The time has come to say goodbye

These are my final words, to you

Heaven, where is my angel?

I need her now, holding me

Heaven, where is my angel?

I need her now, holding me tonight..!" I nod to myself, making a small noise of confusion. This was still a compromise though. He gets something he enjoys- I get something loud. I look back in the review mirror seeing Maxie even whispering the song to herself. I took note Kylo was still asleep, even as we pulled into the forestry road, driving on gravel once more. 

"With bloodshot eyes, I watch you sleeping-" Eli starts to sing. I look at him in surprise, letting out a small laugh. "The warmth I feel beside me is slowly fading-"

"Would she hear me, if I call her name?" Maxie joined in, and the vibe I was mostly responsible for destroying, immediately improved.

"Would she hold me, if she knew my shame?

There's always something different going wrong

The path I walk is in the wrong direction

There's always someone fucking hanging on

Can anybody help me make things better?

Your tears don't fall, they crash around me!-"

"Hey! I know this song!" I shout, looking at the phone with wide eyes. Maxie laughs.

"I hope so- it's not like it's my favorite song or anything." She says.

"Well, you all seem happier." A sleepy voice says. We all look at Ky in the back.

"I apologize for the noise kiddo." Eli says watching him in the review mirror.

"We're almost there though-"

"Two minutes." Ky interrupts. Maxie laughs, ruffling his hair. "Hey, stop that!"

"Of course you fucking know how long it'll be.." She says with a small laugh meanwhile he complains.

The four of us climbed out of the car, and immediately Ky was making his way to the old mansion, forgetting his coat inside. "Hey-" I start, jogging after him. In the background I heard Maxie comment on her having a copy of the car keys. I stumble to a stop looking back at Maxie and Eli. "Sorry!" I laugh nervously.

"It's alright- you two are excited. Go ahead." She says, nodding towards the shop.

"They're both broke Maxlynn.. Which one of us are buying the plants?" I hold the door open for the two of them.

"We can split it- don't worry about it." He huffs at her answer, making me giggle.

"For people who aren't together, you two sure seem like it." I comment walking behind them.

"She-" Eli looks at Maxlynn for confirmation, she nods. "Had an interesting habit back in middle school." He says, scanning the crowd for Kylo. "How did we already loose him?" He mutters underneath his breath.

"It's Kylo." I say walking ahead of them a bit. "He probably saw something shiny." Maxie laughs.

"It's adorable when he does that." She comments.

"Definitely something." Eli mutters, standing straight despite him not. I chuckled at my own terrible joke. "I see him- oh Gods." He groaned. "What kind of plant is that?" He asked himself. Maxie shared his little bits of frustration, and the three of us proceeded to go find Kylo with Eli being our guide.

"Woah- what is that?" Maxie asks immediately looking at the plant. Kylo had a huge ass grin on his face. My eyes widen seeing the blue leafed plant. 

"I thought plants were green.." I say quietly.

"A majority of them are…" Eli says with a small blink. He looks at Maxie. "The fact that that one doesn't know this, concerns me a little." He says looking back at the plant. Kylo was reading the tag, his face was scrunched up in confusion.

"It says it's a begonia.." The younger one says. Maxie reels back in surprise. Then confusion appears on her face. 

"Begonia..?" She and Eli ask in confusion. I smile. Those two seriously seem like a couple! I thought to myself.

"Begonias usually come in greens.. Maybe warmer colors.. But blue?" Eli asks, looking at Maxie, who was deep in thought.

"It's so cool-" Ky says. His eyes widen. "It's only fifty seven dollars!" He exclaims looking at the group of us.

"Impressive." Eli says with wide eyes. Soon Maxie lets out a small shout of surprise. 

"I remember now! If I'm correct- the blue leaves help it gather more light in their usually dark environment. The scientists studying into this strange thing commented on these "iridoplasts"-" She made finger quotes. "In other plants, meaning that this is probably some begonias evolving to cope with the changes within their environment." Eli looks at her with large amounts of surprise. I look at the senior with confusion. What did she just say?-

"And it's only fifty seven dollars…" Kylo whispers with wide eyes. I quickly caught on. 

"Woah!-"

"Scientists don't know much exactly about what's going on.. But nonetheless that's quite cheap." Maxie says folding her arms. She looks at Kylo, who shrinks back not sure if he was in trouble or not. Her kind expression eases him. "Did you see any others there?"

"Yeah-" Eli immediately started wandering to where Kylo came from. "I did…" He says, watching the taller one leave. A few moments later he comes back with wide eyes. He held two more in his hands. My shoulders dropped and Maxie lifts my jaw back to to normal. I blink. Those look so heavy! How can he hold one per hand?!

"I'm assuming they're all fifty seven?" She asks, taking one of the plants. She grunts as the weight of it came into her hands. Eli hums.

"I'll pay." He says. Kylo lets out a cheer and I laugh. Ya know.. This group ain't half bad. I thought to myself. 

"Do you want one, Inferna?" Ky asks with wide eyes.

"I'll pay." Maxie offers.

"I'm good, thank you though."

After all of us were in the car I noticed Eli staring at the plant with joy, and Kylo was whispering kind words to his. I laughed. Maxie watches the two of them with a huge smile on her face. Mine grew seeing this. Who knew plants could make people so happy.

April 25, 2022 17:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Jasey Lovegood
06:59 Apr 26, 2022

ITS HERE :0000 I loved this. Truly. Seeing the four characters banter in the car, sharing music and then finding the plants were all really lovely parts of this story. Not to mention, the photo of the real thing is gorgeous. I'm so excited to see the rest of the stories to come with this Reedsycast <333

Reply

Crows_ Garden
12:45 Apr 26, 2022

Ja uvu I'm glad you do! Trying to stay true to their personalities all throughout that meant a lot of editing- that of which I was not prepared for o - o" Because I had Ky run of I was like- what am I gonna do? SO- naturally, I searched "shiny plants". I really love this blue begonia- it's so cool. Dude- that makes me so happy- glad you like it <3 <3 <3

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:39 Apr 26, 2022

<33333

Reply

Crows_ Garden
23:46 Apr 26, 2022

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

we need a sequel istg no thoughts just perfection

Reply

Crows_ Garden
19:21 Apr 25, 2022

This is the lovely ReedsyCast, so there will be many : ) XD That's quite bold, but thank you!

Reply

YAYASGQYAGYWWYGWGD no its not xD no prob!! btw u can mention the certain someone if u do another one soon ;)

Reply

Crows_ Garden
19:45 Apr 25, 2022

"just perfection"? That's bold XD Okay : )

Reply

SUHDAASHHASAH LOLZ xD sorry for late rply i was making my prn page

Reply

Crows_ Garden
20:10 Apr 25, 2022

XD No worries! Oop- link?:eyes:

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:04 May 02, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Crows_ Garden
22:23 May 02, 2022

I guess yeah XD I can send you the link to the form if you wanna- Thank yoouuuu! I'm glad you enjoy it so much. Part two's out : > Plants are so neat- I think the one in this is like my new fav tbh.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.