Paradise Lost

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'Paradise Lost'.... view prompt

3 comments

Happy Sad Speculative

It was to be called a blessing within itself. Our joviality augmented upon such a house. A house with immense enclosures encased with those from paradise. Every card was to be shuffled and put forth. Each exquisite and unique to themselves, indifferent to the changes. Every statue was poised carefully and every wonder hung for delight. Each sensation echoed radiance like stars in a midnight sky. "So far all preparations are all good." I said clapping the dust off my hands. All too bright to be ignored. They needed to be basked in attention for all the glory they held with the wonders they brought. Displays were put up for all to see so that they could experience paradise. Each detail enlisted so realistically that the only way to tell that it was fake was that they didn’t move. Each figure made from swirling covers of alabaster gray. The smell of cold marble touching every surface around the room. Colors swirled around the room placed in curtains, ribbons, and satin sheets. Clouds hung from the ceilings in a reachable distance. "Are you really sure that the plan will work?" questioned one of the other cards. Her voice soft and questioning amongst the loud crashes of preparations. Soft and creating bolts of thunder to light up the place. The soft rumbles echoing through the room. Outside there was an astounding tent. Shadows of horses pranced upon the walls. Speculative music played in the background. Cards were dealt around tables. Enormous chandeliers hung from the top bringing warmth. Figures dancing around the room. "Yes, all we want is for them to be happy, it should be easy." exclaimed another card. Everyones moods were light with excitement and expectations for what was ahead. Waltzes and spins encouraging those of the crowd to come and join in. There were hallways within the tent expanding to areas with shops and experiences. Creatures taking the form of fairies flitted through the air advertising for the stores as they whispered of the wonders in people's ears drawing in their curiosity with their sweet voices. "Easy? *laughter* are you really that foolish?" exclaimed one of the older cards. His discouragement was ignored as everyone continued to prepare. Everything came together and drew in so many people to the wonders of all that was created and procured. But downfall came quickly with each procurement. The cards set out for us bringing us to our downfall. The sun kissed blessing quickly became a midnight curse as fast as an abrupt clap. What no one knew was that there was no real owner behind the so called paradise. The real owners were the cards. Yes, the playing cards I've been mentioning throughout the entire story. Apologies as the narrator in place of the cards. Continuing on, that one night everything went wrong. The cards were the only ones that knew what had gone wrong. The illusion of happiness that had been cast flickered. Something's wrong, we have to help them. Darkness took over the scene. Instead of the happy thoughts people had harbored before, there were screams, loud breaths, and howls of panic. "Don't panic" a loud voice echoed around the room. Colors sparked against the darkness. The spells aren't working. People fell to their knees, the world swirling with red. Their breaths too hot to stand up as dark tendrils from the darkness reached for them. The tendrils cold bringing shuddering murmurs. It took people with them. They screamed clawing desperately at the tendrils. Other people reached for them if they were brave enough to, but darkness filled the room. It's victims bound on their knees. The world was hot, too hot. My nails digging into my fingers, it shouldn't be this way, I thought to myself. Everything was blurred, the world moving slowly. Screams echoed like loud sirens straight to my head. "HELP!" yelled a distorted voice. Head and heart pounding, I turned to look to my left. A fellow card was struggling against the dark current. Sweat beaded on my forehead, my chest constricting as my hands shook against it. "I can't, I can't!" I gasped to myself. My hands covered my ears. I kept on cupping and uncupping my ears, "I can't!" I screamed shaking my head- People ran, others taken forever by the darkness disappearing into it's depths. The world turned away from the crumbling walls. Paradise as it had been called was over. Everything fell apart within a night. That night, the light music and chattering came to a stop as screams echoed through the halls. Everything ripped and shredded. Money left behind on the floor as they all tried to get away from the commotion. From the terrors and nightmares that came to life within the paradise of sweet dreams. The once light radiating building flipped into downfall. Cards thrown down on the floor as they ran from the fun and games to be saved. Mercy was what they screamed for even as they didn’t understand what was going on. No blessing was ever perfect within itself. This like all others came with a sacrifice. Articles were written, words were spread, and anger was poured out upon the paradise. Rain came in a steady downpour, the lights were turned off, everything taken down. The fires that once blazed were blown out. No one dare come near the now cursed building of desire. Paradise was lost to disaster as darkness quickly settled in. Nothing too perfect ever stayed too long. Dust began to settle into the sheets. We recovered over time, but never completely. Time passed as we waited in the darkness. Left forsaken by the world, we wondered if there was any purpose for the card deck anymore. The floor was covered in dust. Every once shining surface was now dull and left uncared for. The marble chipping away, the color from the silk sheets lost in the absence of light. Gloominess settled in and the world became a quiet place long after. Until one day someone walked into the long gone paradise. The doors opened wide as new sunlight flooded in. "Footsteps!" we exclaimed to one another. We waited and waited grabbing onto each other in excitement as we held our breaths. The figure drew near. There was a change in the atmosphere. Something curious, perking up, everything stilled, almost as if the building was holding it’s breath. Their steps echoed through the empty halls. The once long gone paradise was rediscovered in the darkness. Playing cards were scattered on the floor. A single card face up towards the person waiting to be perused. “Paradise Lost” it read.

May 03, 2024 00:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

David Sweet
18:56 May 04, 2024

I was a little lost as to who the narrator was in this story. I'm assuming these are playing cards in a casino that was destroyed by fire. At first I just thought they were a literal house of cards. I was a little confused as to why the lines are through the sections of dialogue. It gives the impression that you wanted to edit or cut the dialogue or was unsure about it. Welcome to Reedsy. Keep writing.

Reply

Wren K
02:37 May 05, 2024

Thank you for the feedback! I wanted to give the readers a perspective from the cards viewpoint but it was a little hectic with trying to make a clear line between the narrator, the cards, and what the readers get.

Reply

David Sweet
03:09 May 05, 2024

I think I got it for the most part. It was a fun and interesting read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.