65 comments

Fiction Drama Contemporary


“Number 76, please proceed to the counter now,” a lilting voice, warm like clay, croons out of the loudspeakers. 


 A tiny smile as thin as a twig forms on my face. With that velvety announcement, adrenaline pumps from the base of my spine upwards, like a tree emerging from the smallest mustard seed. A slip of paper with the number 77 is trembling in my hand like an autumn leaf helplessly shaking in a gust.


Perhaps, yes, in queue at the services counter of the only shopping centre in the small town of Lumangkahoy, three hours away from the hustle and bustle of Metro Manila, is not your typical place for nerves, for an inner tempest that feels as if an earthquake were ripping your insides apart. The familiar white fibreglass counter with the colourful print of an acacia tree on the wall, the same one I’ve paid many a utility bill in, now fills the pit of my stomach with dread, as if it were a seed sprouting out with the first thorny vine of a plant.


As soon as my number is called, I will buy myself a plane ticket. To where? Well, I have now until my number is blared out of the speakers to decide on that.


For as long as I could remember, my mother has drummed into me the importance of staying true to my roots, each word a heavy drop of rain in a torrent of admonitions. When I was a child --- just a little seedling full of potential and imagination, it was always her who answered that inevitable question blooming from the mouths of well-meaning adults: “What would you like to be when you grow up?” As soon as I entered school, she enforced a schedule as solid and unbending as Uluru; I would come home every day from classes and bury myself for two or three hours in science textbooks with a private tutor that she hired for me. On Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, when my parents were scheduled to see patients in their joint clinic in our town of 500 residents' public square, I was to watch them like a hawk so I’d learn the tricks of the trade, so to speak. 


As far as Mum was concerned, my destiny was set in stone for me the very moment my name was written on my birth certificate. I am, after all, Maria Amelia Aguilar, the only child of the only two physicians in the sleepy hamlet, the apple that shouldn’t fall too far from the massive tree of my parents’ extensive medical career and the fertile earth of our sleepy village. The town needed someone to save it from being a medical desert, and who else but the daughter of Doctors Bartolome and Petra Aguilar was to heed the call --- never mind if their progeny was more interested in finding out synonyms more than symptoms, of course.


When it was time to apply for university, I wasn’t all that surprised when Mum insisted on scrupulously inspecting every leaf of paper I wrote my petition for admissions in to make sure I was still on board with her plan. Neither was I shocked when as soon as I received my biology diploma, I was handed an application form for the University of the Philippines’ medical school. It was settled: I was to grow in knowledge as a doctor like the tallest narra tree in Manila before getting grafted back home in Lumangkahoy to take over my parents’ practice, to treat the same farmers who, as my mother insisted, were as dependent on me as they were on the land they tilled. I felt I had no choice. 


And then, Maya came into my life like a gale and blew all those plans away. 


With her chunky necklaces and bracelets that jingled like chimes in a summer breeze and floaty gossamer dresses, Maya certainly wasn’t afraid to be a whirlwind in that biology classroom. To me, she always seemed like she was flitting around like a butterfly ---one minute she’d be answering questions about the structure of DNA in class, the next, she’d be laughing with friends whilst singing a song at karaoke. The more I got to know her, the more she took my breath away ... .and the more I wished I could have encountered her when I was younger, let her breath of fresh air clear away the vines keeping me tied to the ground and dragging me to medical school.


I still recall that day I observed Maya, mouth so agape that an entire storm could brew inside and I wouldn’t even notice, as she giingly walked across the sunny university courtyard. Her lavender chiffon maxi dress floating as she strode made her look like an exquisite flower as she proceeded to the office of the school newspaper. In one swift, graceful swoop, she slid a large, purple Manila envelope under the door. Ensconced in it, a copy of the novelette she’d been working on since she was but a little sapling at home. I was so immensely proud of her, ecstatic at seeing her reach for the stratosphere. However, I couldn’t deny that my nerves were sending alarm bells to my ears, as if Vesuvius just erupted.


“This is beautiful, Maya dear. I don’t know what to say. It’s just…”


“Just what?”


“Well, I….”


“Out with it!”


“Well, aren’t you just afraid that your parents would find out,” I sputtered out like a blocked faucet. “I mean after all, they’re…”


Maya responded by sighing so deeply, I could feel her breath come out in puffs.


“This again? How many times have I…?”


“Maya, look, I know how you feel. Your parents…”


“Well, there you go,” she pressed with the weight of a tectonic plate’s shifting. “You know precisely what it feels like. Then, you should just let me submit this.”


“Maya, I..”


My eyes hone in on a sheet of paper peeking out of her large, amethyst binder. On it was an unmistakable cornflower blue crown logo. Like a sunflower bending to celestial bodies, my hand reached for it.


“‘Application Form: Columbia University, Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing?’ Maya! Do they know?”


“Oh come on now,” Maya wailed. “Don’t tell me you’re chickening…”


“It’s not chickening out when I’m just trying to keep you safe, Maya. I just don’t want the earth you’re standing on to shake. You know how your mum…what?”


Across from her, I see Maya’s almond-shaped brown eyes release a single tear, a solitary raindrop plummeting into the placid lake of her resolve. 


“Be rooted in the soil that doesn’t nourish you or climb mountains as a free bird? It’s your choice. You have until after graduation.”


Indeed, it was. For the next couple of months, all I could think of, what was swirling like a cyclone in my head was Maya’s question. As I donned the white lab coat and trudged the hallways with leaden feet to the classroom, the fat liquid bulb flowing like molten crystal across her cheek carved itself in my mind. 


Even as my ecstatic, clapping parents hung a shiny gold medal around my neck, there was a tempest brewing inside me, one I had to dam off with fake smiles that never reached my temples. My mother’s coos about me being magna cum laude and being a shoo-in for medical school might as well have been pelted to the wind. I just went through the motions, just like the skies changing from summer to autumn, as I walked down the stage; one day, I knew I had to pick a path — trodden or not — and give my answer to Maya.


That day is today. As the number in my hands quakes, a whirlpool forms inside my belly. Anytime now, the call will come for…


“77, please proceed to the counter.”


“Here I go,” I whisper to myself as jelly legs prop me up to walk the short distance to the golden voiced lady behind the microphone In my brain, the path might as well be strewn with broken glass, every shard scratching my throat as I approach.


“What may I help you with today?”


“Uhm, I’d like to buy a plane ticket please.”


“Okay, Ma’am. May I ask to where?”


The typhoon inside of me rages, seeming to sweep up all the bile and lift it in my mouth. It was time. 


“Manila please.”


“Very well. Anything else, Ma’am?”


Of course, it would have been easy to leave it at that, to stay rooted in what I know simply because it was easy. However, Maya’s tear-filled eyes immediately flashes in my consciousness. I knew she was right; it was time to take a leap to try to fly.


“Actually, I’m not done yet. Could you also reserve a Manila-New York flight for the next day? I’m thinking of sleeping over in the capital so it would be less stressful.”


“But of course, Ma’am. Let me just do that.”


I give the booking agent a smile, wide like an open window as I picture Maya’s bejewelled arms raised in a thumbs up gesture. I imagine her nodding as I fish for my mobile phone in my purse.


“Go on. One last thing to do,” I hear her say.


I let my thumb hover over the screen for a couple of seconds before dialing the familiar number. I swallow a gulp as I hear a click.


“Hello? Hi, Mum. It’s me, Maya,” I sputter out. “Listen, we need to talk…”


August 28, 2024 13:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

65 comments

Jack Kimball
16:45 Aug 30, 2024

Hi Alexa. I think your story resonates more deeply than we think. ‘Finding yourself’ for young people particularly, is so often lost in the shuffle of just ‘picking something’ or being directed by parents. The key word I believe is ‘exposure’ to possibilities, a missing ingredient too often in our educational system. Great job!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:11 Aug 30, 2024

Hi, Jack ! Thank you for reading and commenting. Like I mentioned to Claire, I almost didn't submit because I had no idea what to write. Precisely that. Sometimes, young people are rushed or pushed into boxes that aren't them. Sometimes, you need to go on a journey of self-discovery to find the right fit. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
15:44 Aug 30, 2024

So clever, great ending! We need more strong female protagonists and I sympathised with maya a lot! Side note your pieces also wouldn’t be the same without the consistent cornflower blue mention, I would be devastated if these disappeared! It’s like your trademark!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:50 Aug 30, 2024

Hi, Claire ! I almost didn't enter this week, actually, given I didn't know what to do with the prompts. I'm happy I was able to write this, though. Indeed, we need more strong female protagonists. Hahahaha ! The cornflower blue ! What can I say. I love that colour. Thank you so much for reading. Your comments mean so much; you are a writer I admire, after all.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
15:53 Aug 30, 2024

Sometimes it’s good to push on the prompts that’s don’t come natural :) I half wrote something for this week and missed the boat, need to get back to the flow!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:59 Aug 30, 2024

Oooh, I wish I could see it. I maaay have to miss this week because I signed up for the Globe Soup historical fiction one, and...I've not started yet. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
20:35 Aug 29, 2024

Maria reinvents herself as Maya and carefully stands up to mother. Or, one strong woman raises another. :-) I didn't understand this line. Maybe a word is missing. ... small town of less than 500's public square, ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:26 Aug 30, 2024

Hi, Trudy ! Perhaps, I should clarify it more, but yes, the twist is that Maya is the protagonist all along. And yes, I will edit that bit you mentioned for clarity. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
DJ Grohs
15:16 Aug 29, 2024

Great story! Since you still have time to edit, I feel like you may be missing a word here: ..."the fat liquid bulb flowing like across her cheek carved itself in my mind."

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:19 Aug 29, 2024

Oh, oops ! Great catch ! But thank you so much for reading and commenting !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
17:49 Aug 28, 2024

Charming story, Alexis. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to go against what is expected of you. Great job!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:07 Aug 29, 2024

Thank you, Linda ! Precisely that. Maya had a of of pressure thrust upon her from childhood. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:41 Aug 28, 2024

Hi Alexis, I love the ending of this story! I felt Maya's internal struggle, and the tension she had in sharing her goals with her mom. So, did you choose the option not to enter the contest with this piece? Just asking because I'm not sure how it works. Obviously, we can only post to our profiles through the prompts. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:09 Aug 29, 2024

Hi, Christine. This is actually entered, but I still have until the contest ends and this gets approved (or not) to edit it. Precisely that. Maya was under tremendous pressure given her parents' background. In the end, though, she chose what made her happy.

Reply

09:55 Aug 29, 2024

Thanks, Alexis. I'm enjoying following your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sophie Goldstein
17:02 Aug 28, 2024

love this story of self-discovery. Beautiful work! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:19 Aug 28, 2024

Thank you, Sophie ! Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
17:01 Aug 28, 2024

Wonderful story, Alexis! Once again you whisk us away with your strong words and witty charm! I thought the first line was superb and stood out strong! This was a sweet tale and it reminded me of my mother always telling me that I could do whatever I wanted in life. I'm glad he decided to alter that ticket at the last minute!! Everything here flows well like a waterfall in the great jungles of Earth! I know it needs some editing, but I really loved this one! Great job as always!!!! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:28 Aug 28, 2024

Daniel, I always look forward to your comments because you've always been so supportive and kind with my work. You know I always, always appreciate you and your comments. This was actually a bit of a story recycle. I had written this before for a different prompt before abandoning it because I felt it was too trite. I'm so happy, though, that you found the beginning bit strong. Indeed, you can do anything....even fly away to be free...if you set your mind to it. I'm also glad that the twist worked for you. "Like a waterfall in the great ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
16:41 Aug 28, 2024

I was glad to see the main character deciding to make decisions and begin adulthood. Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:53 Aug 28, 2024

Thank you, Kristi. I think I need to clean up the ending bits tomorrow, but I'm happy you felt the struggle and her ultimate decision to forge her own path. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:03 Aug 28, 2024

Fly away, little fledgling.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:52 Aug 28, 2024

She's flying to the other side of the world. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:33 Sep 15, 2024

It's hard to escape the paradigms of one's upbringing. Many of us have to struggle on to our own two feet and fly in the direction we want to go. (Life can be too short to do anything but) And be brave enough to be honest about it. I admire Maya. A creative person will feel stifled their whole life if they don't allow themselves to reach their potential in whatever field they are gifted in or passionate about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.