0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Fantasy

Many people in their community where Mary Jane lives doesn't believe she is going to be married soon. Even Mary Jane herself don' t know why. She wanted to runaway. Why is she afraid to get marry? There are may reasons , maybe thousands of them. First and foremost is that the man she is going to marry come from a notorious family belonging to a clan they call themselves being powerful claiming they control the peace and order in the community contrary to that, one of the family belonging to that clan are not actually peacemakers but troublemakers. This family is coercive. Since they lived in a busy town strangers coming to town are being bullied by running after them when they refused to give money they asked. One of the family of their victim was well known being a town official and they made a plan to show the people they can manage to set a trap so they will be able to lift their name in the town and cover up their notoriety. They set up their plan by matching one of their nephews who is studying in the capital city of their country to Mary Jane who is a dentist in their own village servicing the young kids at school, she was a school dentist. In this matchmaking venture the matchmaker would be an aunt of Mauricio who was the Dentist Supervisor in that town. They set an occasion to let Mauricio and Mary Jane meet all of the families' clan from great grandma down to the youngest member, offered many pleasantries to Mary Jane, especially the Dentist Supervisor. Mary Jane's mother was not in favor at all having known how the clan treated those who became members of the clan related to them by law. Uncles and Aunts , Nephews and Nieces married to the clan secretly reveal to others the hardships, sacrifices they have to carry but can't reveal it openly due to revengeful attitude of the clan. This is what the mother of Mary Jane is afraid of. She fears what kind of life will Mary Jane have with Mauricio. She thought of the mother of Mauricio who is working to feed their family while her husband don't do anything but telling to people how nice he is to his wife but the contrary is that she wanted his wife to carry the burden of family life, being a businesswoman she can provide all what her children needs. Mauricio's father indulge in lottery games hoping he would win to augment the expenses of his children. How sure is he to win? The businesswoman may know the activities of Mauricio's father but couldn't do anything. She has to accept because of the clannish demagogue, no one can go against their plan after they decided what to do. And here again the mother of Mary Jane who cannot do anything but go with the current when the father of Mauricio came to their house to ask the hands of Mary Jane who was totally caught by surprise. She learned Mary Jane is now with Mauricio in their house and they cannot return her home. Poor mother of Mary Jane almost collapse imagining what will be the life of Mary Jane with this poor, advantageous family. Mauricio has not graduated yet while Mary Jane is a practicing professional dentist. How did this happen? She was not able to talk to Mary Jane at all. Did she plan this? Or she was a victim of an ambush? How will she know it? It is now impossible because of not being able to talk to Mary Jane before it happened. So the topic of getting married was the purpose of Mauricio's father to come to their house. Mary Jane's mother didn't give her consent and the clan of Mauricio intervened to carry the expenses for the wedding Occasions like this would have a happy ending but why is it that Mary Jane's mother is antagonistic about it? This made Mary Jane sorry for herself. She herself cannot explain why this thing happened. Is it not the best moments of her life is on her wedding day? She is not being appeased by the businesswoman being also a victim of the clan. A life of becoming the breadwinner of a member of the clan to catch a professional in their trap while majority of the male members are jobless, parasitically dependent of the professionals they have now caught in their trap. Yes this clan is somewhat social climbers and now that Mary Jane a lady dentist will be used by the clan and cover-up their deceit to catch the rich and beautiful to be inside their family circle. Since Mary Jane's mother didn't show up at all during the wedding Mary Jane cried. She cannot help but cry. She is looking back to the kindness and patience of her parents to her. Aside from her closed family relatives who showered her joyful and exciting parties how come she didn't feel happy on her wedding day? Maybe her Mom was also reluctant to tell her about the notoriety of the clan as they clamor to be known with a camouflage to marry professionals by force. Mary Jane later on learned when one of their cousins in law related a marriage union of one of their family members which ended in court. The bride said she wanted to save face who already carrying her baby and his father lawyer has to concede when she said she loved her baby. Mary Jane cannot talk to her Mom even if she has given birth to a baby girl. But his father was really excited to have her. To Mary Jane she is beginning to accept her Fate to live with Mauricio. Although she dreamed to meet the most handsome guy , professional and most of all the rich guy to support her, to provide all what she needs, an expensive car and beautiful house. Where is that dream now? In reality she is sending Mauricio to school and she don't know when he will finish it learning he is a philandering husband the same attitude of his father in law bragging women are easy to get. Since Mauricio is taking a course the same as she is she hopes that someday it will come true to live the abundant and happy life she has dreamed of. To send her little girl to an exclusive school and leave the family of the clan. If they will have all of these properties she wants to invite her parents whom she knows they are longing to live with her in that fabulous and fantastic neighborhood in an exclusive subdivision servicing their rich clients. She will no longer see the clan thinking she has run away from them.

June 19, 2023 23:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.