0 comments

Contemporary Speculative Fiction



“So, If you decide to jump, which I assume from your present position, standing on a parapet some thirteen stories above the street, that that is your plan. You have either the intent to jump in hopes of confirming your ability to fly, or plan on disappearing from our earthly realm with simply a splash. Of course I could be mistaken and this is just a flamboyant cry for attention, which I can only assume, inspires speculation about there is something wrong in your life.”

“Perhaps I am just bored.”

“You don’t strike me as the type that gets bored. Let me guess, Doctor of something from Yale, Princeton, one of those Ivy League Schools. Close? Not bad?”

“My father was a pet control specialist, dog catcher. My mother was a chef at Pierre’s Greasy Spoon. And I, well I graduated from eighth grade, and then decided I’d had enough, but they wouldn't let me quit.  You were close though. I do have a shirt with Yale on it I got from my Grandmother. She has been gone for many years now, but I still have the shirt, If that counts.”

“You don’t remember me do you?”

“No, can’t say that I do. Should I?”

“We were friends once when we were young. I remember when we’d jump off the garage roof with our umbrellas. I wish now I’d practiced more, but there seemed so little future in being able to fly back then.”

“Halperin?”

“Garrett?”

It all came flooding back in pieces, as Garrett remembered. Garrett had gone off to school. Halperin had remained in the city doing what was necessary to survive. Nothing violent, possibly slightly illegal at times, but nothing that anyone, had they been caught, would have considered more than juvenile pranks. He however had just turned thirty-two, and his inability to project the youthful incompetence of a rookie thief to excuse his lack of growth, was more than evident.

While Halperin was busy becoming an unknown in the circles of crime, Garrett had become a successful layer. Too successful many said. He had become involved with people and their questionable business dealing, and was now looking at the bottom of his last alternative. 

He remembered the building he was perched on, his father’s office just across the way. He could see someone sitting in the office looking intently at him.

“What are you doing up here?” Garrett looking suspiciously at Halperin.

“Looking for you.”

“Yes, but I heard you were murdered several years ago. You are dead. You know that don’t you? That you are supposed to be dead.  You were the last person I believed I’d see. I had to come back, problems back East, and I’d always felt safe, supported here.”

“So you’ve come a thousand miles to stand on this ledge looking at the old haunt and wishing to begin again. Start all over. Keep trying until the umbrella works, and you’ll be whisked into the heavens.”

“Something like that. And I’m sorry I didn’t make it back for the memorial service. I don’t know why, but I couldn’t make myself come back then.”

“Did you come back to see if I’d tell you about what it’s like to be dead? Because I’m not exactly sure myself. I sometimes feel I’m just getting the hang of it, and then something happens. Like you showing up.”

Garrett looked at his old friend, lifted his arms from his sides, and sprang from the ledge.

Halperin found himself in a race to the street with Garrett, who appeared to be attempting to maneuver himself into position to land on the top of a black limousine parked in front of the Hays building. Halperin smiled at Garrett's attempt at irony.

Halperin was enjoying the ride. He’d often wondered what it would be like to jump off a building, but had previously feared that the end of the story, wouldn’t somehow live up to the story itself. He was surprised how long it took to fall thirteen floors, longer than he would have imagined, but then things had changed, time wasn't what it once was. He had no idea what Garrett’s time line was, and he believing he accepted the role of mentor, didn’t at present have the time to explain to Garrett about time differentials between the here and the hereafter.  

Halperin was feeling good about things, despite his being, what..., and uncertain as to a future. He had done what he was assigned to do, no more, no less. He simply talked to Garrett; the rest was up to Garrett. He realized he had made some gestures that may have animated Garretts reaction to his presence, but then…

“Enjoying the ride?” Halperin feeling the need to remain connected.

“Yes, actually it is more exhilarating than I’d imagined it would be.” Garrett smiling, his eyes closed, his hair streaming behind him, enjoying the feeling of escape.

“Are you intent on landing on the roof of that limousine below? Because if you are, you are going to have to alter your trajectory. Believe me, it seems impossible at first, but its relatively simple. Just roll your shoulders in the direction you wish to go and tip your wings, your arms, as if you were a plane coming in for a landing.

Is that vehicle parked in the handicap parking zone of importance?”

“It is the vehicle of the man who is responsible for my flight lesson today. I thought I’d drop in and say hello. See if he remembers me.”

“Be careful, you know there is a driver, who as far as anyone knows, has nothing to do with the relationship between you and Mr. whatever his name is.”

“I will do my best.”

Garrett did remarkably well for a first timer. I was a short distance ahead of him when he hit the top of the vehicle, crushing the roof. A muffled scream came from the interior of the cabin, and then everything was still. 

He looked incredibly peaceful, Garrett that is. I believe he was smiling, despite the sudden change in appearance. 

The bald man who is now much shorter than he would have expected had he met me on the street earlier, and he looked terribly perturbed, because of the surprise no doubt. 

I was planning on going to the movies this afternoon, but I’ve changed my plans. I’m going to stop by the basement of the hospital and pick up Garrett, and perhaps go down by the river and spend the day catching up on old times. There is always so much to talk about when you haven’t seen some one in such a long while.

I have also been asked to keep an eye on him until he gets the hang of things. A parent is always a parent, whether you accept the fact or not.

“This way Garrett my man, got a few things I need to explain to you about this new world you insisted on becoming a member of.” 

July 17, 2021 23:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.