0 comments

Funny

Fritz

The door chime rang as Fritz opened the door to the Marine Boat Sales building. He looked around the showroom and spotted the pontoon boat of his dreams. It was a brand new beautifully appointed Bennington twenty-four-foot Pontoon boat. One of the finest boats on the market and its built right here in the USA.

He looked around as he heard an office door open up on the loft. He watched as the young man walked down the steps looking directly at him. He approached and asked, “How can I help you, Sir?”

“Sir?” Fritz repeated, “Hey, my name is Fritz. You don’t have to call me Sir.”

 “Well, Fritz I’m Terry,” the salesman said, extending his hand for a handshake. “How can I help you today?”

“This boat sitting right here, is it sold?”

“No, it is available, and it is loaded with features and added options. Would you like to come aboard and take a look?”

“I sure would,” said Fritz.

They looked over the entire boat, sat in all the seats, lowered the motor up and down, then stepped off the boat to look at the trailer and tires. All brand new.

“What do you think, Fritz?” asked Terry.

“I think I’m interested, but what about that price? Can you do something about that?”

The salesman said, “Fritz, we get a lot of tire kickers through here. We really don’t make deals until the buyer is serious and we check credit. Then we can talk about working on a price that would make you happy.”

Just then a man and a women walked in and as they opened the door, the door chime rang. Terry looked up and smiled. He waved and said, “Mr. and Mrs. Box, hello. I will be right with you.”

The man said, “Can we climb aboard for a second look? There are some things we wanted to double check.”

“Sure,” answered Terry, “Make yourselves at home.”

The couple walked right up to the same boat climbed aboard like they owned it, and started opening compartments and looking under the seats.

Fritz looked at Terry with surprise and whispered, “What’s that all about?”

Terry explained, “They were in here a couple days ago and were very interested in that boat. They have a place on Norris Dam in Tennessee and are looking for a boat just like that Bennington.”

 Fritz said loudly, Tennessee!”

“Yes,” said Terry, “Most all of our larger boats sold here wind up going out of state. Internet sales has been very good for us.

 “Well, I am very serious about this boat. What do we need do to check my credit so we can talk price?

Terry answered, “If you are really serious, I just need to know how you intend to pay for the boat. Would you want us to finance it and if so, we need to know how much you want to put down? Then we can fill out the forms with our bank and see if you qualify for the financing.”

Fritz answered, “I don’t need a loan. If we can come to an agreement, I will pay cash.

Terry lit up like a Christmas tree on December 25th! “Why don’t we step into my office where we can review the pricing. Then we can verify with your bank you have sufficient funds and if so, we can put you in that boat!”

After 20 minutes and a phone call to Fritz’s bank, the salesman was happy to tell Fritz that his bank confirmed that he had sufficient funds to buy the boat. As they exited the sales office Fritz glanced down at the boat and the couple were still sitting in it talking. This made him nervous.

The sales manager and Terry came out and the manager said, “Your offer is pretty low.”

Fritz reached into his pocket, pulled out his checkbook and said, “My offer will be finalized today. Paid in full. I’m prepared to take it today. It’s your call.”

The sales manager looked at Terry, then back to Fritz. He hesitated for a beat, looked at the salesman and instructed him to write up the contract.

The sun glistened off the desk top as Fritz stared at the papers in front of him. The marina was quiet. The couple considering the same boat had left. There was not much other activity in the boat sales area where he sat.

His salesman, Terry, walked away to give him some time to review the contract for the new pontoon boat he was considering for purchase. Fritz shuffled through the papers and looked at the price one last time.

There was not much for him to consider. The price and terms of the contract were right where he wanted them to be. The 24-foot Bennington pontoon boat with the large 200 horsepower motor was his dream boat. He had done a great job of negotiating. Terry and the boat sales manager agreed to his offer on the first go-round.

Terry returned and set a steaming cup of coffee on the desk for Fritz. He asked, “Do we have a deal?”

Fritz sipped the hot steaming coffee, leaned forward on the desk and answered, “We sure do!”

 As he put his final signature on the bottom of the contract. Terry told Fritz he had the boat moved to the canvass building where they were installing the Bimini top. He could drive to that building where the workers would help him hook his new boat up to his truck.

He walked out of the marine sales building and headed for his truck. He was admiring the boat keys in his hand and said to himself out loud, “This is the first time you ever negotiated a great boat deal with no catches. I have the boat of my dreams for less money than I budgeted! Finally, I got it right!”

As he pulled up to his new boat there were two workers ready to help him hook the trailer to his truck. With precision he backed his truck to the exact spot it needed to be. The marina workers lowered the trailer onto the ball hitch on the back of his truck.

They waved to him and said, “It’s all yours sir, take it away.”

 He drove carefully around the building to the boat ramp. His plan to launch the boat and then take it to his brothers open dock on this lake, where it would stay all summer.

He backed the boat down the boat ramp with ease, launched the boat into the water and temporarily tied it to the dock. He would start the engine after he moved his truck and the empty trailer to the assigned parking area.

As he walked back to the ramp, he couldn’t help but admire his new boat, now sitting in the water. He stopped and looked out at the beautiful lake, the bright sun shimmering on the glassy surface of the calm lake. He thought, this is going to be a great summer!

He jumped aboard and as he lowered his shiny new 200 horsepower motor, he heard something. He stopped and the noise continued. He turned and looked to the front of his boat. On the dock was a park ranger frantically waving his arms yelling, “Don’t start that engine, STOP!”

Fritz yelled, “What’s wrong with you, why are you yelling?”

The park ranger simply pointed to a big red sign on the end of the dock, He turned and looked at the sign which read, “This lake is limited to 25 horsepower outboard engines only. Violators are subject to $2,500 fine and 30 days in jail.”

Fritz sat down on the seat tilted his hat back and said out loud, “Way to go Fritz ol’ boy, you did it again!”

March 07, 2023 15:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.