1 comment

Science Fiction Fiction Contemporary


All stories usually start the same. Or at least they have similar elements. And this one should be no different. However, what happens in this story? That is what interests the reader.


The main character is neutral, accurate and a rather optimistic person. Yet, like a lot of people, there's more to him because he has a tormented past. And the guy didn't have any passion. He's just been working many long hours. He was just a guy of your modern day. His life was certainly nothing extraordinary. It didn't even have to be explained, just mentioned.


He was born and grew up in a reasonably wealthy family in a developing world, lived free of concern. And his peers were the same as him in many respects. His parents had an expertise which used to be significant, although it had already become replaced by automation.


He had to live in a villainous world despite being obstructed by many. But with his resourcefulness and determination, he had managed to escape any problems and face all of his obstacles. This made him the person that he was today. 


Powerless to alter the past, he now works as a king's mercenary. Or that was how he felt about his situation. By doing so, he aims to take retribution for past acts and fines. Yes, he felt as if he was supposed to care about the world. And to do as much good as he can in this world. 


He had just gotten off of work and he was just taking his normal nap to get some rest. And he was soaking up the fun sound of music. As most people know, there's always a good time for a nap. Just for him to wake up and see an unforgettable sight. 


Seeing a monster for the first time was scary. Making it difficult to describe. But, for most, it was a drastically life changing sight at that point. It was a moment of levity. 


It had two major faces and wide sockets for eyes to watch the world. Underneath was a soft nose, but underneath that was a wide mouth that requires great care. Two wide fangs and a giant tongue showed his creepy grin. Huge, stubborn ears sat on both sides of its broad, long, shortened head. Clearly, it was made in a laboratory. Something was different about its nature.


His thick, lean flesh was upright. Two wide upper arms were around his sides and ended with small fingers in bent hands, of which a total of nine are available. Its extremities were square in form and each ended in rough patches. Its ugliness was real. And was the most obvious part of the monster. It was rather ugly. 


His presence was dominating. Much more than any other figure the man had ever encountered. Not sure how to handle the monster, the man just remained silent. 


It was such an unforgettable sight. From which the man begins to pray out of fear. He was not the same man. It felt like there was something more in the room. Capturing what was inside of him. A soft movement, still empty, filled his heart beats. And for his sins he asked for forgiveness. Truly transforming his understanding of his world. 


“In my hour of desperation, Eternal Mother, gracious god. Guide me out of the shadows I see before me. Guide my mind. In your everlasting light, Oh eternal flame, I seek this of you. Render your everlasting goodness inspiring me.” 


The monster indicated that he wanted to ask him a question of the man. 


“What are your limits?”


The man was confused and did not know how to respond to a beast with such a question. 


For which the monster offered a quick reply. “It’s your ability.” He continued further, “The common ability arrayed upon us will be regulated and take into account our weaknesses.”


The monster continued to stare for no obvious reason at all. The man could not answer. And he was gone and done in a sudden buff. The man wondered if he had imagined something. He may have looked too far into the darkness. And he was extremely worried for himself. And he could not speak his mind.


Why would a monster even come and visit him? And why would it require him answering such a question. And he wondered to himself if he had met the monster in the past. 


The intensity of the experience made him feel connected to the monster. He almost felt like the monster was his family. For the very first time, he knew that perhaps the creature may be next door to him in an estate close to his home. He assumed that perhaps the presence of the monsters occurred due to his distance. This monster might have always been close. And he was barely noticeable in the past. It was no surprise to him. 


However, whose soul was embodied by the beast? How could he have been so tormented? What was their common history? Why would a beast even need to question any person?


The man started to wonder about the abilities the creature may have had at its disposal. Could the beast become so tiny and translucent that he could fly as mineral particles on starlight rays? Or was he simply all knowing? Or did he just know everyone? He certainly had magic abilities and an unmistakable presence. It was cruel. 


The man was not a poet, however, he felt the need to write a poem. He decided to put something down on a random magazine next to him. 


“Gigantic, cruel

the many - headed monster

into an ugly


Mythical, ugly

of animals and monsters

into an ugly”


That was the poem for the monster. That was all he could mutter. He did not feel that the monster represented evil. And know that the monster was gone he felt as if the encounter was more of a magical experience for him. However, he hoped the monster was not a continual theme in his life. It was hard to believe that he had such an encounter. There were still some holes that needed to be filled in his mind. There was no natural fit for this encounter in his mind. He just could not piece it together.


He did not love the feeling that the monster had given him. Was it his duty to talk about the monster? 


The guy decided he couldn't care less about it. He walked to the nearest bar he could find. He was just trying to drink and enjoy the rest of his night. He wasn't even going to shed a tear. Perhaps his unconcerned nature was his greatest ability. And that was his limit. He was just living his life with joy. 


He realized, however, that the experience was exceptional. And he realized that later he would write a book about his terrifying encounter with such a monster.














February 06, 2021 00:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Frances Reine
16:18 Feb 06, 2021

You have a very memorable way of crafting. It's like sculpting, carving on a foreign clay but earthy in a subtle way. It slows time, dragging seconds behind before letting them go. And as readers we just have to hold the letters in our eyes and read because it's going to be good.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.