THE BECOMING CEREMONY

Submitted into Contest #205 in response to: Start your story during a full moon night.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction

FULL MOON NIGHT ONE

ALPHA

The moon is high in the sky, a good time for a howl. My Midnight Pack is gathering. Tonight begins the Lycan Blood Pact. A ritual in which a pup becomes a Lycan wolf.

Once in a generation when a pup reaches maturity, he/she will perform a rite of passage called the Lycan Blood Pact in the Becoming Ceremony and they will transform in front of the entire pack.

Tonight, as the Alpha pf the pack and as a proud father, I will watch my daughter Mystic as she performs the Lycan Blood Pact. One day Mystic will become a great leader in the pack. Tonight, begins her journey.

FULL MOON NIGHT ONE

LUNA

I am the Luna of the Midnight Pack, married to the Alpha and mother to Mystic who tonight will enter our wolf pack not as a pup but as a full blown Lycan. The ceremony, a generational ritual will transform my beautiful Mystic into her birth right.

The Lycan Blood Pact is a beautiful ceremony, one that all of us wolves go through when we reach maturity. I've watched my Mystic from the day she was born until now and she has grown into a leader. One I am very proud of.

One day when Mystic becomes Luna of the pack, I know she will rule with grace and power just like me. She will rule along-side her Alpha and together will continue the legacy of the Midnight Pack. My darling Mystic tonight your journey begins.

FULL MOON NIGHT ONE

MYSTIC

The moon is so beautiful hanging high in the sky. I watch all around me as my pack prepares for the ceremony. Tonight, I will officially become a member of the pack, a full blown Lycan.

Not many in my pack believed I could do it. My pack believed I was weak and could not measure up to the other pups. There were pups that were better than Mystic, they would say. Mystic is the weakest of the pups, they would say. I proved them wrong.

My father is the Alpha. My mother is the Luna of the pack. They are strong and brave, so am I. I trained every day, worked harder than all the pups. My commitment to the pack was easy to see.

The Lycan Blood Pact has been part of us for generations since the first wolf, the first transformation. Tonight, my transformation takes place in front of the entire pack.

I'm excited yet nervous. I've been to many of these rituals. Last year my best friend Knight became a full member of the pack. I was scared seeing him go through the transformation. Knight was a warrior. Today Knight is a strong member of the pack.

Knight has helped me prepare for this night. He has taught me how to overcome my fears of being inferior in front of the other pups. Knight taught me the wolf is strong in the mind and body. Don't let the pain overtake the mind. Be just as tough as the pain.

I've walked away from my pack so I can be alone before the ceremony. I have a lot to think about. My father is a great Alpha. My mother is a great Luna. Knight is a great warrior wolf. One day he will become my Alpha and me his Luna. I want to make them proud.

I'm in the highest point of the wolf pack village, Turner Creek. This is my favorite spot. As a pup I always came here to escape the pack, the teasing, the mocking, the humiliation I endure by the other pups.

Now I come here as a way for me to feel peaceful and one with nature. I'm here to seek my peace with nature before the transformation. It feels good to be here. My journey to becoming a Luna begins tonight.

FULL MOON NIGHT ONE

KNIGHT

Tonight, under the full moon my best friend Mystic becomes a Lycan, a full member of the pack. She takes her first step in becoming the next Luna of the Midnight Pack. The ceremony is a once in a lifetime moment that each pup goes through just like I went through.

The Lycan Blood Pact pledges that each pup once grown into a full-bread Lycan will devote him/herself to the pack then the transformation begins. It's not easy. It's painful but we all must go through it.

I'm proud of Mystic for enduring so much during her pup years. I always believed she could do it. Tonight, she proves to the entire pack why she deserves to be the next Luna of the Midnight Pack.

THE BECOMING CEREMONY

FULL MOON NIGHT ONE

ALPHA

My pack gathers under the full moon. Me and my Luna in the front. The Betas are behind us. The Deltas are next and last the Omegas. The warriors line the outside of the village protecting us.

The pack stands at attention when I begin talking. "Tonight under the full moon and in front of all of you Lycans, my daughter Mystic will take the oath of the Lycan Blood Pact and transform into one of us. Mystic come out."

I watch as my beautiful daughter walks towards me. Like a true Lycan, she's walking with her head held high. Power that's who my daughter is.

Mystic stands before me. She bows. She turns to her mother, the Luna and bows. Then Mystic turns to the pack and bows. Then she turns back to me. I look into her eyes and she looks into mine. I see the Lycan ready to come out.

"Mystic, you stand before me your Alpha and before your Luna. In front of the pack ready to take a blood oath to always stand with your brothers and sisters, with your Alpha to stand guard defending the pack against all enemies and one day you will become the Luna of the Midnight Pack."

Mystic nods. "I am ready." I take out a dagger used in the first transformation. I slit my hand and hold it for the pack to see. I hand Mystic the dagger, she slits her hand and holds it up for the pack to see. Together we join hands and say "Blood of my blood, I hold true to my Lycan family, to my pack, my brothers and sisters, to defend and honor the Lycan. Forever more. To the end."

The Lycan Blood Pact is finished. Now begins the transformation. Mystic backs away from the pack. It begins.

MYSTIC

Pain is shooting up all over my body. I bend down. My bones begin to snap, lengthen and pop through my body and back into place. My bones are repositioning themselves. My skin is stretching. Hair, white hair is forming all over me. My eyes are turning a different shape and color. Claws are coming out of my fingers. Hind legs are growing where my legs use to be. Pointy ears are shooting up.

The pain is all around me but after five long excruciating minutes, I'm finally a Lycan. I look up at the sky and howl. My pack howls with me. My journey to becoming the next Luna begins.

July 05, 2023 21:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Melanie Page
08:28 Jul 14, 2023

Enjoyed the transformation build up in this story- feel it lacked a lot of description in places. I think the story could have definitely been enhanced by using some linguistic devices or deeper description but overall a good story! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.