IMPLICIT MEMORY

Submitted into Contest #4 in response to: Write a story based on the song title: "To Love Somebody" ... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was a shiny day for the Willies’ single family to kicked start their day. Just like every ideal family, Mr. Willies, the head of the house was getting ready to go to work, while his wife, Janed Hud was busy preparing an american-styled breakfast for her beloved one. On the upper part of the house, there was Willies Junior trying to pack his school belongings. He kept check through his backpack over and over again but somehow he was doubting himself. He felt something is off as he forgot one thing. After couple of minutes, he decided to ask her mother about what could it be. She might be know he thought. Then he would follow the fragrance of good food toward the kitchen to find his mom.

“Foy, are you done? Come on, have some pancakes. You don’t want to be late,” said mom sensing her only child came to her.  

“Mom, maybe just maybe, do you know what could I be missing? I mean, it’s hard to tell but you always looking over my bag again when I asleep. You can just accidentally put somewhere this whatever thing I am looking for, mom.” He asked her as if passing on his mistake.

“Well, I wonder the pile of books that you left it besides your room is no longer used. So, I took all of it to the attic. Maybe I could bring it down and see if it’s right.” She told him remorsefully. At that point, When she was about to take it, Foy stopped and signed her that he would just take it over his busy mom. Then, he rushed to the attic, grabbed all the pile of book to his arm, and brought it to the living room. He searched one by one and found the book he was looking for. Right away, he went to his room and took his bag with the book he found earlier and run late to the bus.

“Foy, breakfast…” She shouted half concerned. Thus, she asked her husband to pass by Foy’s school and give the child’s food, afraid that he would be hungry. The school is only 15 minutes away by car. Hence, he agreed to his wife request. Afterwards he grabbed the meal, kissed Janed, and took off to the school then work.

Everyone was leaving except Janed. She always feels lonely everytime she gets left behind. She never get used to it. That’s why, since her marriage, she started writing habitually to release the dullness throughout the day. As usual, she began with preparing a glass of tea and a bit of treats to complete it. After that, she brought her Ipad, turned on slow-beat music, and sat comfortably on the living room couch with both feet on the table. She sipped through her antique glass she prepared occasionally and started to ponder. No idea was coming out to her mind. After finished her tea, she looked at the pile of the messy books her son had made. Her mom instinct came out. So, she stood up and went to the books to put it back to the attic. Mathematics, science, literature, art book, and what is this? Unindentified old red book. Then, she open first page trying to figure it out. She found an initial and a date. She giggled a little and put a big smile onto her face. She knew it. Then, she open one by one until one polaroid picture showed up. There was 13 familiar college students wearing a graduation suit. At the time, She fixed her eyes on two people in the corner. She softly touched the picture and absorbed to the memories she held dearly. 

Without further due, she grabbed the book, went back to her Ipad, and wrote off her past memories. The title is “To Love Somebody”.


To love somebody, it’s a refreshing rollercoaster ride you won’t be able to find. Unless you experience it by yourself. Just like when you curious about this ride. Is it scary, fun, heartbreaking, or boring? No one will know until you decide to take part in it. First step is waiting for your turn to come, excited yet scared. They can just make you seat on the back rather than front. Worse part  is in the middle. I can’t be able to see the scenery and only the head of other people who love the ride too. But, what if I can’t handle the unexpected? Will I be able to enjoy every last minute with this? Your brain never stop thinking as the fact you not know what’s gonna happen at all, even if your feeling says certain things.

Then, here comes the real excitement. You get your seat unexpectedly at the front. You feel amazing and you imagine yourself savoring every up and down to finish line. You are ready to hold up your hand high and scream the belly out of you. Eventually you can be able tell your true heart about the ride.

As soon as it starts, you see other people are happier than you. When you think you will show your deepest love toward this ride. However you only share your worst side. That’s when you start to hate it and close your eyes. But you can’t go anywhere because you still on the ride.

At the end, no matter how much you ride it, fondness is not for everybody. You will have to say goodbye someday. At least, it will let you keep the memories forever. Last thing from me, it’s never been so hurt to fall in love once again. Always love somebody until you find your somebody. The end


Time went on as she dived deep into her emotion. Again, she looked at the picture of the boy stood next to her. She recalled every single moment when she first fell in love with him until the day she had to seen him walking the aisle with his somebody. That day she realized that his not for her and braven herself to moved on. Just like she wrote, at least, he would let her keep the memories forever. 

August 29, 2019 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.