22 comments

Fiction Inspirational

The sunset makes the darkening sky blush and adds rose highlights to the emerald water. A young couple, a man and a woman, perhaps in their early twenties, tanned and trim, golden-skinned in their bathing suits, have their beach blankets spread on the white sand. They sit close together, facing the sea and the sunset.


In a three-story beachfront house, an elderly couple are on the balcony outside the second floor. They are sharing a bottle of white wine, crisp and cold in the warm air.


“Like Adam and Eve,” the husband says. "Don't you think?"


The wife smiles. “They look blissful down there. So young.”


“Doesn’t it remind you?”


“It’s like yesterday,” she says.


“And a million years ago.”


“That too.” 


“So much time has passed, and still …”


“I know.” She reaches out to hold his blue-veined, wrinkled hand. She squeezes, then lets go, sighs, contented. “The sunset is beautiful, just like it was the day we met.”


“Soak it up. Take the heat from the sun,” he says. “Let it heal you, like in that book we just read, by, oh, what’s his name?”


“Ishiguro.”


“That’s right. It worked for the little girl. The sun healed her.”


“Oh, honey.”


“I’m not giving up on a miracle drug.”


“You never give up,” she says. “I love you for that.”


“We’re gonna break the monster’s back,” he says. “Believe it.”


“It’s hard to believe.“


“I know.”


"You're the one who prays," she says. "I do too, in my way. But now I’m one step closer to knowing. It’s so beautiful here. It’s perfect. Right now. This moment. This is a good moment.”


“Yes, it's perfect,” he says. ”A perfect moment. Let’s stop time. Freeze everything in place with the sun right where it is, barely touching the horizon, the warm breeze, everything just so.” 


"I have to tell you." She takes a sip of the cold white wine. “I feel that I’m getting ready to leave the ground.”


He is quiet for a long time, then: “I don’t know if I can take it.”


She says nothing, sets the wineglass down on the small table between them, reaches out and squeezes his hand again, and this time she holds on. 


Until she doesn’t. 


He knows it has happened. No more pain. That’s good. That part is good. There has been so much pain. But the other part ...


He’s not ready to look over at her, to have it be final and real, so he closes his eyes, feels the warm rays of the setting sun on his face, drifts off while thinking about her, and lines from a song come to him: 'A house doesn't make a home, don't leave me here alone.'


Then, she is there, and he feels her familiar lips on his. 


He opens his eyes.


“You,” he says.


“Me.” She smiles. "Hi."


She looks just like the day they met, more than seventy years ago, when they were both in their twenties. 


He sits up, looks at her, drinks her in. Then he notices his own tanned skin, his trim shape, the energy of youth, the beach blanket, the warm sand. 


“Like Adam and Eve,” she says. “It was us, down here, waiting, for when we were ready to let go.”


He turns and looks back at their beach house, to the balcony on the second floor, where he can make out their old skin and bones, empty.


“I prayed for this,” he says. ”That we would go together. It’s perfect.”


“It’s even better than a miracle drug.” She smiles, stands up, holds out her hand. He takes it, gets up, and they both stand together, looking out towards the sunset at the horizon, arms around each other. 


"The water looks fine," he says. 


"Let's go in."


They wade into the shallows, the cool water lapping their ankles, then their shins.


"What's this?" She reaches down, bringing up a seashell, water dripping. The shell cracks open in her hand. A soft light illuminates her face. She gasps. "Oh, I didn't remember."


"What is it?"


"Can't you see?"


"No."


"It's something from my early childhood," she says. "I'd forgotten all about it. You really can't see? For me, it's like I'm there, living it all again."


He finds a seashell of his own. 


"You're right," he says. "It's like being there, in the moment."


"But you can't see mine," she says, "and I can't see yours."


"I can tell you about it," he says.


"If you want to."


"I think that's the point," he says. "If we want to, we can share. When we're ready."


"Leaving a bit of mystery."


"Yes, and space. The mysterious distance that makes life together an act of discovery. It reminds me of something from that book your mom gave us at our wedding."


"Oh, yes. Gibran: 'But let there be spaces in your togetherness.'" 


"I wonder if ... " He looks around, selects a larger seashell, bright white, fishing it out of the seabed. When it cracks open, they both gasp. 


Afterwards he says. "What a wonderful memory, our wedding day."


"And to think of all that happened after, all the time we had together."


"Seventy years, and then some. And now, we get more time together."


"Eternity."


"Just us."


"For now," she says. "I have a feeling, when we're ready, there will be others. Family, friends."


"God."


"I think He is always here."


"I wonder," he says. "If we will see God, face to face."


"When we're ready."


"I want to try something." He lifts one leg out of the water, plants his foot on the surface, then steps up, standing on the sea. He holds out his hand, and she joins him. 


Together, they walk on the sea, hand in hand, towards the horizon, in the direction of the sun.


"I'm thinking about what you said."


"When?" she says.


"Right before."


"Oh."


"You said: 'I'm getting ready to leave the ground'. I wonder if we can fly."


"I'm sure we can," she says. "I think anything is possible for us now. But if you don't mind, I'm having such a lovely walk, let's keep enjoying this for a while."


"For as long as you want."


"And then, when we're ready — let's fly!"

June 07, 2024 17:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Trudy Jas
19:20 Jun 12, 2024

Geir this is such a wonderful, wistful story. If only it were true. :-) Read your bio. How do I find your BuzzSaturday. Is it only available on Saturday? I'm always looking for inspiration.

Reply

Geir Westrul
00:44 Jun 13, 2024

Hi, Trudy, I hope (and believe) it can be true! To sign up for the newsletter, just use one of the links for the "freebies" in the bio. That signs you up and then you get the StoryBUZZ Saturday newsletter. I try to send them out weekly, but a safer bet is a few times per month (on Saturday morning). Here's one of the links (this one is for a free course and guide, and the newsletter is included) -- you can't actually click on the link, so just copy it and paste into your favorite browser: https://www.storybuzz.com/faster

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:47 Jun 13, 2024

Thanks, will give it a try.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
14:42 Jun 11, 2024

I read your bio and visited your website and blog. Very interesting with useful resources for writers! The vivid descriptive imagery details of this story in the introduction draw the reader into the story so it is engaging and immersive. The concept has depth and uniqueness which makes it interesting. The uplifting theme is inspiring. The dialogue, action and setting are woven together in a balanced way. There is an emotional aspect that evokes feelings from the reader. Well done!

Reply

Geir Westrul
11:10 Jun 12, 2024

Kristi, I'm so glad you liked the story! The prompt was very inspiring to me. I've been wanting to tell the story of an elderly couple that pass over together, but didn't really know how to come at it. The prompt challenge of really getting "in the moment" (just a few minutes) helped me see how to do it. It was interesting to me that it barely is past the 1,000-word lower limit on the Reedsy contest stories, and somehow it feels longer. I'm glad you found my website and blog in my bio. It's where i document what I'm learning along the way a...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
19:02 Jun 09, 2024

This was really touching. I love how they can be together and still keep some things to themselves. Lovely story! :)

Reply

Geir Westrul
12:49 Jun 10, 2024

Yes, Annie, I think that is what Gibran means by the quote from “The Prophet”, that we get to share only what we want to share, when we are ready to share it. Also, I think that giving voice to what we share makes us understand the deeper meaning ourselves. That’s what writing (and talking) is all about.

Reply

Annie Persson
20:21 Jun 10, 2024

Yes, those are very true words. Thank you for sharing your story! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:42 Jun 08, 2024

Oooh, beautiful !!! I love the creative take on the prompt. The descriptions are super stunning. Lovely work !

Reply

Geir Westrul
12:50 Jun 10, 2024

Alexis, thank you! This was a great prompt for me because I tend to be more plot and character focused and the prompt challenged me to get more in-the-moment and descriptive. I’m so glad you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:06 Jun 08, 2024

I like the fact that they wake up on earth. This is real. And they are together. So lovely. Death is not to be feared. But old age and illness is not natural. I love the positivity and optimism of this couple near their ends. Beautiful interpretation in line with the prompt.

Reply

Geir Westrul
12:46 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you, Kaitlyn. Yes, I thought of it as being in their own private earthly heaven, for as long as they want, before they move on to whatever is next, which will be even more amazing. They will spend that part of eternity reliving memories, sharing those they want to share, getting to know and love each other more and more. It’s a hopeful vision.

Reply

20:59 Jun 10, 2024

Hope is great. Faith is better. Had to say this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:10 Jun 07, 2024

Perfect. Thanks for liking my 'Follow Me' and 'Not Another One'. And 'Secrets That We Keep'.

Reply

Geir Westrul
01:12 Jun 08, 2024

Thank you, Mary, I’m so glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Matt Austin
17:44 Jun 13, 2024

Nice story. Very poignant.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dr. Jael Zebulun
14:37 Jun 13, 2024

Brilliant!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darvico Ulmeli
08:26 Jun 13, 2024

I would like to believe that is how it is going to be. Nice story.

Reply

Geir Westrul
11:05 Jun 13, 2024

Yes, Darrick, let’s believe. I’m so glad you like the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
13:50 Jun 12, 2024

Inspiring AND a thoughtful meditation on metaphysical and faith issues. I could see the setting and the discussion unfolding — a wonderful job of conveying depth and character in one short scene. Well-done!

Reply

Geir Westrul
01:10 Jun 13, 2024

Thank you, Martin! I'm enjoying your fair-play mystery short stories. I tried my hand at one of those here on Reedsy recently, "The Moonstone Club Challenge (a David & Mr. Goliath Mystery)" that you might enjoy. You'll see it in my Reedsy "channel" or go directly to it using this link: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/n7yroo/ Or you can check it out (including an illustration of the crime-solving duo, David and Mr. Goliath, and the Moonstone Club) on my blog, here: https://www.storybuzz.com/blog/story-the-moonstone-club-challenge

Reply

Martin Ross
01:17 Jun 13, 2024

I’ll check it out! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.