Selfless Giving is the art of living

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who always comes to the aid of others.... view prompt

5 comments

General

I had read somewhere that, “A stranger has the capacity to alter the life of another invariably.This Domino effect has the capacity to change the course of the entire world. This is what life is, a chain reaction of individuals colliding with one another and influencing their lives without realising it.” There are some people in life who always come to the aid of others and are not interested in getting acknowledgments for the same. I have one such person who has made a difference in my life, without even disclosing her efforts to do the same.

I woke up to one of the most beautiful mornings with a thought,” Everyday starts with some expectations and ends with some experiences .” Started my day with some simple workouts, and then proceeded to the balcony for my “me time” with pen and paper gradually sipping hot tea. I was completely enjoying mild and delicious sunshine after heavy rainfall last night when I heard the voice of my husband, “Swathi call for you” which made me puzzled as to who would be calling me early in the morning. Hesitantly attended the call, to my surprise it was a call from Sai publishing house acknowledging my book and willing to publish the same they never as to how they came to know about my book. This call left me speechless and amused. Whenever I felt bored and apart from my home chores, I write whenever I have extra time This was supposed to have been made like a book , otherwise I write like some notes to myself .Since this was my debut book, I did not know how to go about publishing my book and more specifically was not very confident to do so.

Couple of thoughts arose in mind as to how come that publishing house knew about my book and what made them come forward to publish the same. Then I remembered sharing my story with Anita my school friend and her colleague Rini both of whom work or Sai Publishing house. Before thinking who would have made it happen I called up Anita as I started to talk about my book she said,” its Rini mam who was very much keen in publishing your book”. 

Rini,a middle-aged lady, skinny, but taller, her eyes very small and deep, her face was oval with a lot of wrinkles all over her face, overall she seemed old-fashioned lady based on her looks, but she

Two months back I happened to travel in Shatabdi Express from Chennai to Bangalore. It is a day time train that is enjoyable as we get to observe many people , eat lots of eatables in due course to munch them, make new friends and more specifically witness each and every pass away . This time while travelling I was lucky enough to meet my school friend Anita and her colleague Rini after having formal talks, to kill time I started narrating my debut story. My story is about a “speaking picture”. The Story starts with the following words,” A picture can tell a thousand words, but a few words can change the story.” The story is yet another romantic story but, narrated in picture’s point of view and here the picture is personified as the main character of the story. To my surprise, Rini was very much interested in my story and was frequently stopping me here and there to get some clarifications in the story. I was amused by her way of questioning, which was truly encouraging for a debut writer like me. “Once traveling by train was just a way to reach the destination, this journey is added to my memory folder.”

Along with a bundle of good things, things which are to be reconsidered were also highlighted through her nominal feedback. I felt a successful and knowledgeable person will have the capacity of giving true and acceptable comments. Generally it is difficult to accept one 's opinions expressed about us, but I without any inhibition agreed to her observations and remarks. Accordingly, I made some improvements to my story and later I sent her the same for her approval. But never have I thought she would initiate to publish it. One point she was very particular about was that,” be it anyone who gets the right break during the right time can develop in his sphere.”

In a few days my book got published and received very good reviews among the audience. She was there with me throughout the journey of publishing it. After which I had written 2 more books which are bestsellers now. I thanked her several times for the huge break she created for me, but she would say,'' stop thanking me try to develop more and create more.``

One thing I adore about her is, though she was a stranger to me, she took an initiative to help me grow to what I am today. She heads a literary club where she encourages debut writers and for some poor people with a lot of creativity and less money she helps them by publishing free of cost and also merchandising. The literary club conducts story writing contests every week and best stories are published in their circle magazines. People feel their work being published is prestigious. Even school children are encouraged to write for the contest. The motto of the club is,” kindness is not an act it is a lifestyle.”

She is an inspiration and role model to a lot of people like me. I am also a part of that club and like her I'm also helping people. “Caring has the gift of making ordinary people special.”

She says, “Earn success based on service of others and not at the expense of others.” How many ever times I thank her, it is not enough so here I am writing about her as a means of gratitude.To close with one thing I remember when I think about her,” Sometimes miracles are good people with kind heart.”

With Love

Swathi

July 03, 2020 10:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

07:42 Jul 09, 2020

Hi Gayatri! GREAT story! I enjoyed reading your story! Such a sweet and beautiful story! Keep writing and have a great day Gayatri! :)))

Reply

Gayatri 21
08:02 Jul 09, 2020

Hello Harshini!! Thank you so much :) Glad to hear that from you!!!

Reply

14:03 Jul 09, 2020

You're welcome Gayatri! I'm glad too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
21:21 Jul 07, 2020

Very sweet story, I enjoyed reading. :D

Reply

Gayatri 21
02:47 Jul 08, 2020

Thank you so much Rhondalise Mitza :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.