The Pizza Thief

Submitted into Contest #190 in response to: Start your story with someone vowing to take revenge.... view prompt

2 comments

Contemporary Funny

“I will get my revenge,” Celeste vowed. She carefully planned ahead, knowing sometimes he could be shameless.


Earlier that night…


They both sat on their plush sofa. It was Friday, pizza night. Watching whatever was the latest show on Netflix. She had just returned from picking up the pizza on her way home from work. Max greeted her when she returned home, and they both eagerly went to the sofa to enjoy the delicious pizza pie. His diet wouldn’t allow him to enjoy the pizza. She tried to entice him with something else for dinner, but his eyes lingered on the pizza inside the cardboard box. His mouth was almost salivating. 


She ordered a spinach pizza. He couldn’t see the toppings well due to his colorblindness, but he knew what they were. The aroma was intoxicating. It wafted through the house like they were at an Italian restaurant instead of at home watching tv on their well-loved sofa. The smell of oregano and mozzarella wafted through the air.


The cheese was bubbly and hot. After blessing the food, she dug in. The cheese was stringy with the right amount of chewiness.


Max looked in her direction whenever she bit into the crunchy thin crust. She felt bad. It must have taken a considerable amount of willpower for him not to grab a slice from the box on the coffee table. It was a small twelve-inch pizza with six slices, and she would have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. After eating four slices, which was one more than she usually ate, she realized that she needed to empty her bladder. She later discovered that to be her fatal flaw.


Upon returning to the living room, the TV paused, waiting for her to return. Celeste observed Max loudly smacking as he lapped up the last two pieces of pizza. She couldn’t believe it. It had been only a few minutes. 


Unbelievable! It was just the two of them in the house, so any sad, droopy eyes pretending to be innocent wouldn’t win her over this time. She looked at him with her peripheral vision and could see him licking his mouth like he enjoyed the last morsels of the dish.


She thought for the millionth time how he really enjoys food. He has a high metabolism and burns it off much quicker than she ever could. She imagined how he must have given in to the aroma as it wafted towards his nostrils. Knowing that it was off limits since it was hers, but the pull and the temptation were too strong.


She turned and looked at Max. He looked at her, his large brown eyes piercing through her. He didn’t seem remorseful or sad. Eventually, he laid down and napped while she continued watching the show on the screen. 


They say olfactory is the quickest way to travel, and she definitely did, as she remembered the first time they met. It was a beautiful day. She sat with her shades on her head, wearing a sundress, and enjoying a couple slices of pizza. It was a warm day so she chose to enjoy the outdoor seating, which consisted of a wooden cafe table under one of those enormous red umbrellas at each table. Palm trees lined the sidewalk, and she could people-watch while she ate pizza and sipped cold lemonade. 


Other patrons, primarily couples, also sat outside, talking and eating at the popular eatery. Max barged into the table, startling her and the other guests. He gave her an apologetic look, his brown eyes big as they shared a moment, and he continued to run as he spotted the person chasing him. She couldn’t get him out of her mind. The next day, she contacted the local shelter, found him, and they were a family. Max has a black nose, short brown fur, and floppy ears. They said he's a Rhodesian Ridgeback. From that day on, it was Celeste and Max, aka the pizza thief, against the world.


Presently...


She sat and stewed over how she would return the favor and get him back. Revenge is best served cold, but she didn’t think he cared if the payback was hot or cold, especially if it was food. He stirred in his sleep and slowly woke as the show she was watching ended. He looked at her as if saying sorry. He nuzzled his black nose in her side. “Okay, I can’t stay angry with you,” she said, hugging him while he licked her face.


“I don’t know why you stole my pizza, you know I always have something for you on Fridays.” She stood from the sofa and went into the kitchen, where she grabbed a homemade peanut butter dog treat. She made them for Max once a month. They were shaped like little bones, which he loved.


Once she opened the airtight container, Max bolted off the sofa, sniffing a scent he loved more than pizza. His tail wagged furiously as he anticipated his favorite treat's savor and crunch.


“Who’s my good boy?” she said, rubbing his head. “Sit,” she commanded, and he did as she said. “Good boy,” she placed the bone-shaped dog treat on the kitchen floor. “Stay,” she said as she walked a few feet away from him. “Eat,” she commanded, and he gladly devoured the dog treat. “Good boy,” she walked back to him and rubbed his head once he was finished.


After cleaning the coffee table, she placed the cardboard box outside in the blue recycle bin. It was time for Max’s evening walk. She went to Max’s closet and grabbed her doggie bags to pick up his poo and his full-body harness. He liked the harness more than the leash, and she did too. It allowed her more control.


Celeste put the harness on Max and rubbed behind his ears, encouraging and telling him what a good boy he was. Even after the pizza debacle, he was still her baby boy. She loved him furiously, and he was her protector.


They went for Max’s nightly walk and observed the many colors in the sky as a scarlet and orange blanket formed. A few plumes of white clouds still remained. They passed their neighbors' houses, greeted other nightly dog walkers, and played in the confined dog park for ten minutes. 


They returned home and had a wonderful Friday evening.


March 25, 2023 02:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Stevie Burges
02:57 Mar 26, 2023

What a wonderful love story. I found the descriptions of Max painted a perfect picture of his looks .... and those eyes! I particularly liked the description of Max's first appearance and his apologetic eyes. A story of two pizza lovers thoroughly enjoying their Friday night. Good story MJ

Reply

MJ Simons
10:06 Mar 26, 2023

Hi Stevie, Thank you for reading my story and for your feedback. I wanted it to sound like a woman and a mystery man, but I revealed it was her dog towards the end. It was a different kind of story for me, but it was fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.