1 comment

Holiday

The end of the year is here. Christmas is here. I'm going home to Southport. I haven't been to Southport in a long time. I can't count how many times I dreamed of going back home. Like always I've been too busy but not this year.

This year is my time off. My time to reconnect with my friends and family, to see Chase Sommers who I never stop thinking about. Too reconnect with Christmas and too reconnect with my home. Southport is so beautiful during this time of the year. I'm excited. The smile on my face is getting bigger and bigger with each passing minute.

This past year has been a very good year for me. My single "Winter Love" reached No.1. My album soared to new heights. It was just the most amazing year. I couldn't ask for a better year. But I long for home.

It's time for me to relax and enjoy the Christmas season the best way I know how with my friends and family. It's also a time to think about what the new year will bring for me. My mom is going to be happy to see me. I haven't told my mom I'm coming home. I want to see the look on her face when she sees me.

My mom has been my biggest supporter and my biggest fan. I hate disappointing her and I have disappointed her all the Christmases I missed. This time I'm going to make it right.

My bags are packed. I'm ready to get the hell out of L.A. I walk out of my house and hop into my car. I'm on my way to the airport. As I look out into the streets of L.A. I wonder to myself how I kept my sanity. I've never been a city girl. I always loved the country. Why did I stay away from home for so long?

Well. I'm not taking a commercial flight. I have my own private plane. I arrive at the private hangar. I get out of my car and grab my bags. I walk to my plane and walk up the stairs. I grab my seat and sit down. The plane begins to move out of the hangar and down the runway. My plane takes off. Southport here I come.

I left Southport to purse my dreams of becoming a singer, songwriter. I always wanted to go back home but as my career continued to grow, I got to busy. I missed so much. I don't want to miss anymore Christmases.

I close my eyes and dream of the last Christmas I spent with my family. Me, my mom, dad and brothers setting up the tree, hanging the lights around the house. Then me and my mom spent the rest of the day baking.

My mom makes the most delicious cookies. I can taste my mom's famous gingerbread cookies. I can see my brother's arguing about which tree to buy. I was always the tie-breaker. I can't wait to see the snow. Southport always has a white Christmas.

I open my eyes. My plane has landed in Southport. I grab my bags and hurriedly leave. The cold air hits me hard. My first taste of winter in a long time. My first taste of snow in a long time. My car is here. I get in and drive to Southport.

Wow, look at the snow. It's so beautiful. I can't believe I'm here. I forgot how beautiful Southport is. I stop my car in Main Street. The shops are just how I remembered. Mrs. Wheeler's bakery is still alive and kicking. Mrs. Wheeler makes the best hot chocolate.

Right next to Mrs. Wheeler's bakery is Jack's toy store. I love the toy store. I used to spend so many days there. The bookstore, oh how I love the bookstore. I got my first book there. I walk down the street taking everything in. The decorations look beautiful.

I continue walking down the street until I come to Southport center. The big tree is up. The workers did a good job. I walk up to the tree without looking where I'm going. I bump into someone. I look up and see Chase.

"Hi Chase."

"Well. well. well it it isn't Southport's very own superstar, Amberlynn Rose."

Wow, Chase looks more handsome than the last time I saw him. Say something to him. "I'm sorry for bumping into you." Chase's smile is so beautiful. Oh God! what is wrong with me? I'm acting like a love sick teenager. "I go to go. Nice seeing you, Chase."

Chase Sommers, the hottest boy at Southport high and my high school crush, the boy I never forgot. The boy I always thought about. I look back at Chase, boy did he grow up. I walk back to my car, get in and drive home.

Right there, the red house with all the decorations is where I grew up. I park my car. Here I go. I get out of my car, grab my bags and walk up the steps. I open the door and walk-in. The smell of gingerbread cookies hits me.

"Mama." I call. My mother. My beautiful mother walks out of the kitchen.

"My beautiful daughter. What a surprise?"

I hug my mother tightly. I tell her "I'm home for Christmas."

"This is going to be the best Christmas ever. Your dad and brothers are going to be so happy to see you."

"Me too."

I hug my mom once more. I go up to my room and unpack. My room looks the same. The pictures I took in high school are still on the wall. There is a picture of Chase I took of him smiling.

Later that night I ate dinner with my family. We talked. We laughed. I told them about my concerns about living in L.A. They understood. I love them so much. This what I missed spending time with my family.

The next day I got up, got dressed and went downstairs to eat breakfast. The conversation was light and funny. My brothers are still the jokesters they've always been. They know how to make me laugh. After breakfast me and my mom head to town. My mom asks me to help set up for the Christmas concert.

I always performed at the Christmas concert. It's how I started my music career. Southport is bustling with people. Some are shopping. Some are helping with the Christmas concert and there is Chase Sommers. I get out of the car and walk with my mother to the staging area.

"Hello ladies." Chase says to us.

"Hello Chase." My mother says. "Amberlynn, you can help Chase set up the chairs." I nod.

My mother walks away. I turn back to Chase. "I, sorry about yesterday. I was tongue tied."

Chase tells me "Don't worry about it. I'm glad you came home for Christmas."

For the next hour me and Chase set up the chairs. We talk about a lot of things. Chase tells me what he's been doing since high school. Chase went to college to play football. He returned to Southport after a knee injury. Chase now works at Southport high as the football coach.

I tell Chase about my life in Los Angeles. My career is going great. I tell Chase I miss home and I'm glad to be home for Christmas. Chase makes me laugh. He's still the same Chase always making those around him laugh.

"Are you going back to L.A.?"

I tell Chase "I don't know. I love singing and writing my own songs but I don't know if L.A is for me. My song "Winter Love." is No.1 and my album is doing good but."

"But you're not sure."

"I'm not sure if the record label I'm with is right for me."

Chase tells me not to think about the future but think about now and Christmas and being with my family. I know one thing I'm happy to be home.

I never how easy it is to talk to Chase. He was the popular kid. I wasn't. Now we have reconnected. He's still the one I think about, the one I never forgot.

Over the next couple of days, me and Chase spend a lot of time together. Besides setting up for the Christmas concert, Chase takes me ice skating. I haven't done that in a long time. I love it. Chase and I go see Santa. It was the craziest thing. I had so much fun.

Chase is becoming more than just a friend. He's easy to talk to about my problems. He doesn't judge me. He gives me good advice. When Chase drops me off at my home, he tells me to listen to my heart.

It's Christmas Eve, the night of the concert. My mom asks me to sing a song. I gladly say yes. Chase comes to pick me up. He helps me into his car. Chase tells me "I can't wait to hear you sing."

The Christmas concert is great. The performers are amazing. Now it's my turn. I walk out onto the stage to a big applause. I look for Chase. He's sitting in the front row. I begin to sing.

I close my eyes once I'm finish singing. I let the feel of Christmas, my home, my family and Chase envelope me. This is why I love to sing. It's not about the money but about making those around you smile.

I open my eyes. I see my family and Chase cheering for me. Chase is right. I have to listen to my heart. I have a lot to think about and more time to spend with Chase.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

December 20, 2023 23:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Trudy Jas
22:05 Dec 27, 2023

Melinda, The critique circle matched us up to review our stories. Your story "Home for Christmas" is a sweet holiday story. The small-town girl who has made it 'big' in a very competitive profession and misses the simpler life she remembers. I enjoyed reading it. It was fast paced and flowed to a logical conclusion. There are a few grammatical issues. You switched from present tense to past tense and back. Nothing that an "Edit check" won't pick up. You did give away the ending in the second paragraph, though. :-) I'm in awe of the sheer nu...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.