Work, not worked, and not will work

Written in response to: Start your story with a vehicle pulling over for a hitchhiker.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Christian Horror

"I spy a person lying in the ditch with brown hair. Hurry up Mom you got about 600 feet to spot it and win," said Olivia with great questioning hesitance and haste. Theresa spoke in a confirming, yet questioning manner, "Now it might be a trash bag full of trash, with a discarded pair of shoes, right?" Olivia blurted out, "Mom, that trash bag has an arm and the pattern on the arm is rosy and peach just like that hitch-hiker's shirt that we saw at the rest stop. You know that lady with the long braids? You know, the one you bought the water, and sandwich for? Why didn't you give her a ride when she asked you?" Theresa pulls over, and leaned over to Olivia, and said in a serious hush hush matter of factly tone, "Ok, I know that you want to help everyone who comes along, but there's only so much I can safely do to help people. I did what I thought was best, and now it's time to give someone else a chance to help. I'm calling the local authorities."

About the time Theresa had picked up her cell phone, a knock came on her window. Theresa put up her index finger then pointed to the phone as she completed the call to the police. "Mom, she wants you to roll down your window," Olivia said. Her Mom then spoke in a mother bear growly tone without moving her lips much, but her eyebrows raised and she still was dialing looking down with her head- but her eyes were in a dead-lock glare with Olivia. "I know what she wants, but it's my job to keep us safe. Now please not another word until I tell you that you can talk. put your headphones on and look at your wildlife book. Do not look up from your book." The lady knocked again louder and said, "I need help. I think my arm is broken, I was walking and I fell from pretty high into the ditch over there." Theresa was so skeptical, she wondered how did this lady get up here so fast from that truck stop and then up and out of the ditch. Something wasn't right.

All of a sudden their the jeep was falling quickly into the ditch. As it rolled over and over Olivia and Theresa stayed in their seatbelts, but the window got cracked and the rearview mirrors were broken off completely. Olivia began to cry out to God for help. Sunday's memory verse was Psalm 6:2-4, and that's just what Oliva had put to memory. So she spoke it loud and clear,


"Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint;

    heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony. 

My soul is in deep anguish.

    How long, Lord, how long?

Turn, Lord, and deliver me;

    save me because of your unfailing love."


The phone was still connected with the sheriff's department, Olivia moved her chin over it and cocked it near her mouth. She was in agony, but her mom was completely unconscious. Suddenly the car was being dragged into a wooded area. Olivia couldn't see much for all the blood covering her broken glasses. But she could feel the car being hit by trees, and she could hear a tractor. She knew how a tractor sounded. She managed to whisper on the phone crammed under her chin, "This is Olivia Brinkly and I am 13 years old, while my mother and I were driving on the highway, I think a hitchhiker is trying to attack us. We have been in an accident and our car is being pulled by a tractor." The operator said, "We are currently getting your GPS location, help is on the way. Stay on the phone." Olivia whispered, "Ok I'm not going to talk, and I'm going to play dead, so I don't get hurt more." The operator said, "Ok is there just one assailant or more?" Olivia did not say a word, but there were three male voices and one female voice. So she could hear four voices, and she pushed a button with her nose four times. She could hear a voice on the other end saying, "Ok I got that, there must be four attackers. Good girl, help is on the way." The car pulled over something sharp, and her leg got punctured. She yelped in a high-pitched tone out of pain, "Ahhh......" Her leg was hurt real bad. It felt like half of the meat in her thigh was hanging off.

"Woo-hoo, yeee-haw no more necrophilia for today, we got us at least one live one," a voice having a distinct Southern draw yelled out... Olivia got scared, even more, that meant her mother was dead, and they heard her and knew she was alive." How would she get away now? She couldn't escape. Her Father was Sargent Walter Brinkley of the United States Army, and surely his name would put some fear into these evil people.

So Olivia said in the most mature threatening voice she could muster up despite her current circumstance. "My father is an Army Sargent and he will be ever so grateful for you folks rescuing us and getting our car out of the highway. The female assailant, smiled and looked at the men and said, "Alright what do you think your Father will give for your safe return?" Ok, Olivia was just going to play innocent and play along, "Oh surely he would give you around ten thousand dollars for just pulling our car off the road, someone could have run us over completely. What were we in a bad accident? I just remember seeing your lovely face and your barn." Olivia knew very well that no accident occurred, besides this evil criminal woman and her three goons didn't know Olivia was just playing like she didn't know the truth.

The lady said, "George you go get some towels and alcohol, so's we can get this young lady cleaned up. Now get, go on." The man named George must have been slow because he couldn't catch on. Next, the evil criminal lady said, "Abel go and help him. I think that there are some shorts I have that are just your size. Let's get you out of that outfit it has blood on it." Olivia tried to stand, and she could tell pretending to be nice and helpful was exasperating for that woman. It was so painful for Olivia to try to stand, so that lady just cut off her pants. "Now I'm taking real good care of you, ain't I?" Olivia nodded.

The next thing that was heard was sirens, it was the police and ambulances that followed them. The lady yelled, "Who called the fucken ambulance?" Then that lady snapped back into the helpful benevolent character, "Well George, open the door, this young lady needs medical attention." She walked on the front porch and yelled, "Y'all bring a bed on wheels, she's hurt real bad in there, and her momma's in the car way back in the barn. I had my brothers get the tractor and drag their car to safety as soon as I saw the reck. You see I just happened to be out there in the ditch a picken berries with my two brothers. I make homemade berry cobbler, and I saw her real bad accident and used my walkie-talkie to tell Mason over there, (she points to Mason, who's still leaning against that big ugly rusty old John Deere tractor. Mason is super tall and skinny, has on a straw hat and a toothpick is hanging out of his mouth,) I tells him to bring the tractor and we gotta rescue two poor ladies who got themselves in a mess of trouble on the highway. So's we do just that, and here they are Mr. Lawman. You see her mamma is still in the barn, that's where the tractor and car is."

Olivia had been wheeled out on a stretcher. Olivia refused to let the ambulance drivers go without getting her Momma. Olivia told an ambulance driver the truth, about how their car was pulled off the highway ten minutes after they refused to let the hitch-hiker in the car. Then that lady up there posing to have resued them was in fact the hitch-hiker they had seen ten miles prior at a rest stop. Back behind the house was a barn, and in the barn was a room that was locked. The police found no evidence of Theresa, only her car. The two men present claimed the key to that locked room in the barn was lost about six weeks ago. Noises were heard in that room, and the police broke open the door. Inside the room was the putrid smell of rotting flesh, and 2 closets, and a twin-sized bed. On the bed lay Theresa with her arms and legs tied to the post. It looked as if her blue jeans and t-shirt had been cut at every seam. Crammed in her mouth was an apple, tightly taped with silver duck tape around her head.

Who knows what would have happened if Olivia had decided to skip her memory verse that week because she didn't think she needed to learn that particular verse. You know God planned everything to work together for good, and if we truly love him it will.


Romans 8:28 KJV. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose



September 06, 2021 20:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Boutat Driss
15:34 Dec 13, 2021

Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.