Laughter Behind The Stars

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: Write a story that begins and ends with someone looking up at the stars.... view prompt

0 comments

General

"So we made it," Polash tried to strike up a conversation.

 

I looked up towards the star clad sky. They were like pearls of different shapes and color spread carelessly yet ever so in a pattern- so intricate and almost showing a sequence in their hazardous placement. Just like our research. They gleamed in millions down on us petty little beings on one of the planets in this vast Universe. The cool, shivering breezes combed through my messy hair, sending chills down my bones. Despite the cooling effect, it was strangely more like a warm welcome.

 

"Yeah," I replied, still fixated on the sky to make out shapes there, "Surprisingly, a country whom nobody knows to be of existence find the cure for the deadliest disease."

 

"Yeah, um, so how did you come up with that invention?" Adam got curious. He always gets curious regarding new issues, but are not all journalists like that?

 

"Well," I began, tearing my mind and my eyes from the glimpse of the starlit sky….

 

" When the first outbreak of the disease occurred in our country, the pandemic have already wiped off large populations from almost every countries, let it be advanced in its economy or not. Thus, it was not all new and surprising for us, we were expecting it. Like expecting a cyclone when you already know it is coming, and still hoping that by some divine miracle it would be prevented.

 

"The government shut down everything: schools, offices, shops, tourist spots- all which were once bustling with people of all walks. So the outbreak was not that serious nor distressing, or at least for the first couple of days.

 

" Then the hell broke loose. The number of people infected soared up like mad horses on a wild race. People kept dying- more of poverty and hunger, rather than the virus itself. What was heart-breaking that they began to cast infectious people out of the society or local areas. The situation was as if even a common thief is more welcome than a diseased person. Every time you sneeze or cough, you have to do it secretively as if it is some grave sin or social crime.

 

" Everyone was locked up, like in zoos. Perhaps that's why the monkeys and raccoons in the local parks and areas now frequented the streets once crowded by human. The birds now are more common too. It is now their time, isn't it?

 

" A small button can cause a nuclear blast when pressed, but nobody ever thought how an invisible virus can chain the entire world affairs, and bulldoze entire economies. Most of our people here in Bangladesh are either employees of large garment factories, or farmers. Some even live on the streets. Especially orphans. They would die of famine than of the pandemic.

 

" We felt that we needed to work, to contribute. And so did we try. Countless times, despite the failed attempts. Despite the blues, the scorns, the doubts on us. We do not have he equipment or sufficient samples or the labs, yes. But we have the brains. The brains that could solve the puzzle.


" It was fun working with such intellectuals in a single lab. Surprisingly, believe it or not, most of the people were Varsity students. The simple combed-hair, spectacle-eyes, goody-shoes were instantly transformed to serious scientists chasing to and fro inside the lab, peering piercingly over microscopes and jotting observations out. They could work for days and nights without a meal, and not complain about that. Rather, they would be seriously pissed off if we called them for dinner!" I chuckled to myself, remembering the good old day.

 

" Finally, we came up with a vaccine for COVID-19. And it failed, undoubtedly. We made a version 2.0, but still no hope. Version 4.5, still no ray of sunshine. Finally, version 19.71, perhaps it would work. Or not, who knows?"

 

I paused for a sigh. The stars seemed to twinkle on Polash's eyes, just like when he's either furious or jovial. I don't know what to take it as.

 

" Were you successful, then, with that version?" Adam looked deeply interested on the account, like a child listening to a fairy tale.

 

"Well," I started to continue.

 

" Yes, it worked. We tried to convince the world that we have it, but at first nobody was ready to believe it. I would not have believed it, either. After all, it a southern Asian country overshadowed by its powerful, nuclear-armed neighbors. Who'd believe us?

 

" After a lot of persuasion, the international scientific community verified it, announcing it to be applicable. The mass production is allowed to start. People gets a cure from the death parade. Everyone is happy. Nobody loses a loved one anymore. It's done."


" Only one major problem that stood in our way was Mr. Hamid, the CEO of Hamid Medicals. He claimed it was not to see the light of the day, unless he could sell it off to people.


"I was furious. The nations are dying and all this guy could think of is how to maximize his ever-so-greedy profits. I refused to do so. I have a backbone, even if he does not have one.


" One day, a call came from one of the well-known scientific researching body, and they claimed our vaccine to be inapplicable for use, as no medical clinic or authority has records of permission granted to us for research. I was appalled. I phoned up Mr. Hamid, and that guy was preposterous.


" He said he knew everything. He was the one who denied the fact that we have used his lab for research. How could he do that!"

I said furiously.


"Then what happened?" Adam was on the edge of his seat by now, willing to know what exactly have happened.


I sighed ruefully and began ," I charged him wrathfully, why he did that. He just laughed like a villain. Suits that maniac, though.


"Anyways, where was I? Oh yes, the conversation. He wanted the rights over the patent of the vaccine, or else he would not give up his denial of the research. With no hopes seen, I agreed. But on one condition. I would have the right to access them freely from his productions. He was confused, but agreed reluctantly.


"From my share, I gave the vaccine to all poverty-stricken people of our country, and to many poverty-ridden countries of the world." I concluded.

 

"Why did you, for the love of the Earth, not patented your work?" Adam questioned, being quite shocked as why anyone would not patent the greatest discovery of the century. I ask that to myself often too.

 

"Ah…..all that paperwork. Many lives could have been saved by that time," I waved it off.  

 

"But Hamid Medicals claimed your works. You lost your chance at being recognized for your works. I mean, why would you do that?" Polash inquired angrily.

 

"I don’t care who owns it. I'm just happy that no one will lose their mother, father, brothers and sisters anymore." I again fixated my eyes towards the sky.

 

" I would never understand you people," Adam confessed.

 

I smiled. This Eid is going to be more jovial than the rest of the times. The sickle-shaped moon appeared like a milk-white giggle on the twinkling sky. The twinkling of the stars seemed like laughter of people who could have a bit more time to spend with loved ones. 


(This story is completely imaginary and fictional. If any part of the story matches with any of the actual events, it is coincidental and unexpected. Hope you enjoy!!!)


-Ellita Styes

April 28, 2020 15:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.