0 comments

Holiday

What he witnessed upon entering the building was mesmerizing, he was hypnotized by the colorful lights and the hues of blue and pink that swayed around him. The room was an ocean of drifting people, swinging to the beat of music and socializing noisily. New Year's Eve, what an extravagant day of celebration! It was an understatement to say he was ready for the new year, he couldn't wait to throw the old times behind him and allow new opportunities to pour in. It was going to be a good year, he had a feeling, and who knows? Maybe he'd finally meet the person of his dreams.

 Before he could finish pondering that thought, his best friend Aaron slammed into him, smacking him on the shoulder rowdily. “Isaac! You’re here!” He shouted over the music, an amused smile dragging across his face. He was definitely drunk. Isaac considered staying sober as he usually did at events but tonight was different, maybe it was finally time to indulge a little? The year had been so stressful, he needed to let loose.

 So he did exactly that, wandering from one zone to another whilst drinking and taking whatever drug Aaron handed to him unquestioningly. Maybe not the best idea but Aaron was always so carefree and he wanted to feel that way too, at least just for a night. Time floated on and not a soul was idle, movement was synchronized and it was unstoppable. 

That was until he saw her. When he saw her, he couldn’t help but forget every single thing that had previously occupied him and pause. He was just as a rock in a river, still among rushing water. But he couldn’t think properly let alone resume his aloof dancing. She was intoxicating, her very essence allured him. It was difficult to simply pinpoint what he loved about her because he didn’t know her and yet somehow the answer was everything. He loved everything. 

Refusing to carry regret into the new year, he boldly whisked his way through the crowd towards her. Suddenly he was right in front of her way too quickly and words vanished from his head without a trace. She gazed at him and smiled. She was glowing, she was golden even amongst the cooler tones of color that filled the room.

 “Hi.” she said simply with humor and a hint of curiosity in her voice.

 “Hey!” he blurted out way too suddenly. To be fair he was definitely high, intensely drunk, and in love at first sight. Unsurprisingly, more things came flying out of his mouth that he didn’t give himself time to consider.

 “At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I think you’re really beautiful.” 

She smiled once again and it was so lovely. 

“You’re not so bad yourself.” She laughed as she grabbed his hand “It’s a lovely night to dance with strangers, don’t you think?” and she didn’t wait for an answer, in moments he was a droplet in the river again. 

His whole world seemed to blur as they danced. Blacks and golds and pinks and blues, all twisting, mixing, and melting into one wondrous scene. He just met someone who was exhilarating and he didn’t know if it meant anything or where it’d go but for once in his life he was ecstatic, he was a waterfall of hope. 

One hour until midnight, he wondered if she’d stay with him the whole night. He didn’t truly expect her to do so which made it all the more meaningful when she did decide to stick around. 

“You won’t forget about me right?” He asked, snapping his fingers and moving his hips from side to side. 

“As long as you keep dancing like that, I won’t!” She giggled loudly. “No but seriously,” she continued, “I want to see more of you after this..”

He had a strong urge to cry, that was the best thing he had heard all year. “I’d like that.” 

They ate luxurious food, danced even more, and shouted embarrassingly to the choruses of old songs as the countdown grew closer and closer. Time was sudden and rapid, the night really does fly when you’re having fun. But he didn’t want the night to end. Yet at the same time, maybe he did. The new year represented new possibilities, new possibilities with this wonderful lady and just maybe a future with her too.

One minute until midnight. Everyone gathered intensely around the large screen, cheering at the live view of the colossal dazzling ball in Times Square. Isaac observed the crowd around him lazily, there was so much hope for the new year and celebration. The lack of pessimism was refreshing, he realized just how much he needed positive forces in his life. He looked to his right, where she was. She was smiling widely at the screen, excitement sparking her eyes as she bounced from toe to toe with anticipation. He couldn’t emphasize it enough, she was absolutely perfect. 

Eleven seconds until midnight.

TEN, everyone was screaming

NINE, 

EIGHT, 

SEVEN, 

SIX, 

FIVE, 

FOUR, 

THREE, 

TWO, we were unstoppable

ONE, 

 For a tiny moment there was a complete absence of sound and then an explosion of noise crushed through the air, shattering the temporary veil of silence. The group erupted, roaring joyously, they had conquered last year and they were going to conquer the one that had arrived. As he cheered he sensed the elation radiating from every soul, he watched as they all embraced and kissed. Before he could think, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. He closed his eyes and experienced it, this was the lighting of a match. An explosion of passion and chemistry, it was phenomenal. He knew they’d only met that night, but he loved her. He really, really thought he did. 

Her hands were smooth around his neck and they were so close to each other, it was almost too good to be true that someone like her would notice someone like him.

His eyes were closed as he spoke, “Hey, what’s your name?” 

But when he opened them, there was nobody standing in front of him. She was gone and suddenly the facade was gone too. He rubbed a sluggish hand across his eyes, confusion and grief overwhelming him. It didn’t make sense. No, no, no, no, no. He turned in circles desperately and searched the crowd with intensity, straining his eyes in the dim room. She was just here. He felt her. 

He was caught by surprise when he felt a hand on his shoulder, grounding him. “Woahh buddy, why are you so frantic?” It was Aaron. 

“She was just here-“ he swore breathlessly. Tilting his head from side to side once again, in frustration. 

“Who was just here?” 

“I was with a girl. We were together all night Aaron, you must have seen the two of us..” 

Aaron seemed baffled but then he nodded his head in realization. “Dude, you were dancing solo all night. Must’ve been the fun stuff I gave you! Hallucinogens are a wild ride. Don’t worry about it, your head will be clear tomorrow.”


Isaac was crushed.


“Hey I’ll catch you later alright?” Isaac murmured quickly, he didn't bother waiting for a response and hurried to the exit doors, shoving them open. The crisp fresh air was an immediate relief.

He stood motionless near the road, watching as puffs of white smoke spilled through the air with each exhale and then dissipating within seconds, leaving no trace that they were ever there. The taxi rolled up slowly in front of him, the yellow paint gleaming in an oddly tranquil manner.  

He couldn’t believe that he had created such an illusion and he couldn’t believe how quickly his hope had vanished.

He slid into the vehicle and rested his head against the window.

He would never see her again and not because of some failed date or unfavorable fate but because she had never even existed.


December 31, 2019 19:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.