0 comments

Holiday

February is one of my favorite months of the year. Of course it's usually cold were I live and more often then not there is snow. On this particular day the city was blanketed in about three inches. The plows had cleared the roads, sidewalks had been shoveled and looking out the window all I could think of is what a lovely winter wonderland mother nature had given us. If we got some more snow over the weekend I was hoping I could convince my lover to head out to a nearby skiing resort so we could get some skiing in and maybe even some snowmobiling. I really do kind of enjoy winter even though many people don't.

To me winter means, hot chocolate, cozy fires, skating, sleigh riding, snowball fights with my nieces and nephews. Of course there's the slippery roads and sidewalks but you just can't deny the beauty of snow. Of course I love winter fashion too, boots, warm coats, comfortable sweaters, and not having to worry so much about my weight since layers do hid those occasional extra pounds. I di have to remind myself to go the gym a little more often because I tended not to jog as much in the winter months. Plus I also tended to snuggle up under a warm blanket with a box of candy and binge watch TV. Not the best way to keep ones figure but I'd just need a few extra hours at the gym. Maybe even sign up for some indoor swimming.

It was February 14th , Valentines day. I was excited and nervous at the same time. I had been planning a romantic meal for the two of us for over a week. I also had spent the whole day cooking at my place and had prepared a avocado salad, flank steak, season and roasted potatoes, some asparagus, and a strawberry short cake for dessert. I loaded everything into the car and head over to my Valentines place. Of course I made a quick stop at the wine store and then decided I should pick up some shrimp for and additional appetizer. My sweetheart had a very health appetite.

I took a couple of drives around the block before I found a parking spot. Finally one opened up very close to the apartment front door. I was never more thankful in my life for the plastic food containers my mom had given me when I first moved into my apartment. It took three trips but now everything was in the kitchen, I preheated the oven to keep the meat, potatoes, and asparagus in, Placed the salad, shrimp and cake in the refrigerator.

Now that the food was taken care of it was time to arrange the apartment for our romantic dinner. He had called and said he'd be home late because of some work crisis. We had been dating for about six months and last month he had given me my own key. I was still getting use to were he kept things so I busied myself arranging the small dinning room table. Festive red tablecloth and napkins, vase of red and white rose. I had to reach around in different cupboards to find a fancy matching pair of plates and finally the wine glass.

That took care of the dining room.

Since I had cooked our meal previously and everything was being kept warm in the oven, it was time to focus on the rest of the Apartment. There was a wide archway between the dining area and living room, I decided to hang some red and white ribbons along the top of the arch to give a semblance of privacy. I had also brought some scented candles which I began to place in the Livingroom.

Being an incurable romantic I had brought some teas roses and went into the bedroom to pull the petals off and scatter them on the bed. I also had brought over some very fancy loungewear which I changed into. Then refreshed my perfume and headed back toward the Livingroom.

I went over to the sound system and started looking through Tim's collection of music. I wanted just the right sounds to fill the apartment. He had a very large collection with a great deal of variety.

Tim's sound system could play CD's, tapes, and record albums. I started browsing through the album and smiled because it seemed we had pretty similar tastes. I was just about to pick an album when I noticed a slim photo album. Well of course I couldn't resist. I pulled it out and went over to sit on the couch. I check my watch and saw had about 30 minutes yet before Tim would come home. I open up the album and let out a small yelp. It was a wedding picture of Tim and another woman. My eyes began to fill with tears. I turned the page and saw more and more pictures of the wedding party. I really couldn't stop. My heart was breaking. He looked so happy. Their were picture of his mom, dad and sibling. Picture of Tim the groom, his best man, and the ushers. There were also pictures of the bride, her maid of honor and the other member of her family. My mind keep telling me close the book, put it back, but I couldn't. I was coming toward then end of the book and I found a pressed flower. One more page to go and I wasn't sure I could turn the last page. I took a deep breath as I got to the finally page. It was an obituary notice. Tim's wife had died 2 years after their marriage of Cancer. By now the tears were freely flowing down my cheeks. I went back to the first picture and looked at the woman who had been Tim's wife. She was really rather pretty and they made a very handsome couple.

I didn't even hear the door open. I wasn't even aware Tim had entered the apartment. All I could do was just stare at the picture of the married couple.

February 16, 2021 01:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.