0 comments

Holiday

“New Year’s Eve is finally upon us dearest Cuddles!” Oscar exclaimed to his brown tabby who was lounging lazily by the heater. Oscar began to pace up and down the length of his living room in his shoebox-sized apartment, “I must get prepared to celebrate” suddenly Oscars pacing came to an abrupt stop “oh my! I almost forgot to decorate before I made the meal” upon the realization of his forgetfulness he chuckled to himself. Making his way to his bedroom he flips on the light switch, illuminating his unnaturally green colored room, and slides his closet door open revealing three grocery sacks stuffed full of different party supplies, grabbing them with one hand he uses the other to slide the door closed and turn the lights back off making his way back to the front of the house. First, he hung a big white banner with colorful balloons strewn over it that read “Happy 20th Birthday 2000s!” then he began throwing streamers hanging them wherever they may land, he then tops off the décor with 2000 helium-filled balloons varying in color and size which he lets float up to the ceiling. He stands back in awe admiring his work “we outdid ourselves this year Cuddles, but it is a new decade, after all, there is no shame in splurging” he explains to the uninterested cat. “Now for the food preparation people will be showing up soon and I must have the hors d'oeuvres ready” so, as he said Oscar got right to it he chopped, minced, diced and baked till every last detail was perfect when he was satisfied he wiped the sweat from his brow and let out a content sigh. He set up a large table covering it with a black table cloth then he starts laying out dishes and bowls filled to the brim with chips, crackers, meats and other finger foods “this is just the beginning of the meal Cuddles I still need to get the roast duck out of the oven and dress it” Oscar stated thinking out loud. So into the kitchen he goes slipping on dinosaur-shaped oven mitts and pulling a perfectly roasted duck from the oven setting it down gently on the stovetop, “it looks perfect now to dress it up I wove some bacon just for this occasion!” he sighed happily clapping his hands. Situating his duck on a platter he grabs the tiny party hat shaped bacon and sticks it on the roasted ducks top, then he sticks the bacon shaped party blower next to it smiling in satisfaction. “Now that’s what I call a party dish! I am finally getting my ducks in a row pun intended, I crack myself up!” Oscar says with a laugh setting the platter down with the others, he took one last glance at the food table deciding it was well stocked.With the decorations up and the food table full he looks at the clock taking note that his guests will show up at 9:00 pm seeing as it is now 8:00 pm he must go and get dressed and ready. Oscar starts with a shower making sure he is nice and clean, he then goes to the sink and brushes his teeth and making sure every last strand of his chestnut-colored hair is plastered to his head with the special hair gel that he got for Christmas from his mother. Once he is happy with his appearance he pulls his party outfit from the closet and changes into the silver and gold suit that he wears every New Year, he straightens his jacket, ties his bowtie, and shines his dress shoes making sure every last detail is in place. By the time he is finished getting ready it is 8:45 pm “They should start arriving soon, I hope Ma remembers the cake” he worries, aimlessly wandering around his apartment, anxious for their arrival he checks the clock once more only to see a minute has gone by. Then it happens the doorbell rings and he jogs over in excitement swinging it open with such force it hits the wall with a loud bang, “careful honey you will break something, well aren’t you just handsome as can be!” Oscars mother gushes pinching his cheeks and handing him the cake “thank you, mother, for the compliments and the cake!” he answers stepping aside allowing her to come in. He then places the cake on the counter and turns back noticing his father had come in behind him “Father what a surprise I did not think you’d make it thanks for coming I am so glad you’re here" Oscar gesticulates eliciting a less than excited reaction from his father in the form of a head nod. “When is this thing going to start, I hate staying up late” the gruff voice of his father hushes the quiet chatter between him and his mother “We are only waiting on one more guest then we can get the ball rolling, pun intended” Oscar answers his mother's cackle resonating in the background while his father sneers. Seconds feel like hours to an anxious Oscar, seconds turn to minutes the longer he waits the closer he gets to midnight, so he decides to go on with the festivities with or without anyone else he would not let them take the joy of his favorite holiday from him. Oscar unboxes the cake “it is perfect Mom thank you, Happy, Happy New Year Oscar” Oscar admires the icing work before setting candles on the cake and lighting them he then starts a round of happy birthday before holding the cake out the window for the wind to blow away the flame. Oscars' mother watches her son with a look of pride as he sets the cake back down and hands out cake slices to his mother and himself attempting to give one to his father who holds his hand up in disgust. “Next we must release the balloons into the sky filled with all the resolutions and dreams I collected over the past year” collecting the balloon strings his mother and he let the strands go out the window while his father’s snores filled the silence. After a hearty meal they relax and drink consuming a bit too much alcohol which his father takes part in for the first time since he arrived “Time to ring in the new year, it is now 11:59” Oscar slurs wobbling towards the side of the room and blows his party favor with drunken enthusiasm. His mother picks up a sparkly ball she brought in her purse and tosses it into the air watching it crash to the floor cracking it open with a thud, “Mom you remember to drop the ball!” Oscar cheers collecting the cheap party favors that fall from it. As soon as everyone is gone Oscar carries Cuddles to the couch and lays down stroking the fat cat’s fur, Happy, happy birthday to you... Oscar hums to himself before slipping into a deep drunken sleep. 

January 01, 2020 20:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.