Hide and seek Magic Equals love

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Start your story with someone witnessing magic from a hiding place.... view prompt

2 comments

Christmas Creative Nonfiction Fantasy

"Quick look over there, a shooting star, "shouts Alfie.

The four of us look around and see grandad in the sky. It is grandad, they all say, the children of the night as our story begins. Magic is all around the house, flaming lights, tinsel golden with puddings being fed to the leading man, Santa. As the children look on, they wait from heaven for a sign that their grandad is with them and he is guiding them to Santa's heavy lake.

Where all dreams come true, the lake is brilliant. There are dancing elves, kings, queens of Christmas, and fairies lighting the tree with magic. There is also a little wood cabin nearby where the children grew up with grandad, but when he died, the magic seemed to go as well, leaving the lake and the cute wooden house dark.

There was no singing elves. Instead, it was a grizzly bear hugging a tree, but beyond the lake the children never lost hope for this night where the stars shine brightly is where the magic begins.

A home is undoubtedly a place of hope of light. That is why it is always a blessing in the home of Leanne's house everyone gathers around the fire, and the crisp air illuminating against the snowflakes that fall as love is something that triumphantly flies through the sky. But in this household, there is a lantern burning down from the fire; as it burns, it sends out different signals of light; the night air brings happiness as Leanne smiles at the love cherished among the burning essence of the candle stick. She remembers each memory of when her Grandad had given her hope to live life to the full. He had promised her a life of guardian protection, of guidance. He was the apple of her eye. he was the center of this family, and here at Christmas, we remember the times of he laughed at him, opened a can of Guinness, and drank to the festivity. There are four of us in this house: Leanne, Jack, Connor, and Alfie. We are the four mighty grandchildren, each of us unique and special Leanne holds the key to all the possibilities caring with a big heart, while Jack is always the light and soul of every one of us. The boys Connor and Alfie brothers share a unique bond of tranquillity. Together the four grandchildren bring hope, bring joyous moments in life.

Grandad, with his smile, always knew that one day he would leave this earth to gain wings and sit on heaven's divine door. As time went on, the healing process was never easy. Leanne had flashbacks of when Grandad was lying there cold out in the front of Christmas air. But there were happier times when Grandad was well and alive. The days somehow turned into nights; this home broke when Grandad died. But here, the four grandchildren promised to live life to the full and come every year to Grandads house. He was our friend as well; we could tell him anything, and even though Alfie had the shortest time with him, we never forget him and talk about him as if his memory still lives on.

You could call the four grandchildren.

The past, present, in-between, and future of Christmas ghosts are haunting the looming air.

Because that is what we were, Leanne lived in the past. When Grandad died, she yearned to be with him. He longed to settle for a life of light by his side. She only saw flashbacks of the past, while Jack saw the present. He lived every day in it; he believed life was precious every second. And yet we never visited any home to spook out the Christmas cheer. As for Connor, he was the in-between of not yet decided whether he was past or present. He knew that Grandad would want him to live, but the light flickered in another direction. The love he had for Grandad would soon heal into the present. That is why he is in between the light and the darkness; last but not certainly least, Alfie, the future the child Grandad only got to see for two years of his young life, now shines the brightest of us all.

 Grandads’ strength latched onto him, and he became the new future of us all; he became the soldier who was born to become the fighter he would always be, just like Grandad.

As the four grandchildren gather on this Christmas eve night, they watch the final flicker of light draw upon the hour. Leanne looked up

"Look, she said; as the other three looked on, they saw a figure of snow mount together; it was a snowman, but an enchanted one at that he had come by to say goodnight to us all; it’s impossible they all through snowmen cannot speak. But this one did. Jack asked the snowman why he was there; he said the angel of our grandad John sent him. He loved you very much, every one of you.

He would want you all to look to the future now like Alfie. So, with tears in our eyes, we listened to the wise snowman and touched him; he vanished.

Grandad jack smiled

Grandad whispered Leanne

Yes, Grandad Connor joined in

But it was Alife who said, Grandad, we love you, and on this starry Christmas night, we think of you always and forever in a day; but now it is time for us to say goodbye, never looking back just forward and like that the four grandchildren became one,

 they became the ghosts of the Christmas future, and together they always vowed to look forward and never back and always to love grandad but to never think of darkness. Still, just light for the home is where the heart is. Grandad taught us that

Thanks, Grandad, to one in a million stars. You are the brightest as we finally wave and signal our final farewell.

As the magic fades to the night, a secret is waiting from Santa Claus as its beauty transforms into the world of overlooked visions. Violins play on their own in an orchestra of love as grandad watches the magic from afar. We all smile at times of magic.

December 16, 2022 17:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

April Mattson
15:37 Dec 22, 2022

Touching story- poetic and lyrical.

Reply

Leanne Drain
16:07 Dec 22, 2022

Thank you For your kind feedback

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.