21 comments

Funny Romance Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

All in a Name


Anakin paced back and forth along the wide veranda with his thumbs hooked in his suspenders. The early evening air smelled sweet from the magnolia blooms dropping from the trees. A peach pie cooling on a nearby window sill promised sweet desserts. The sun hung lazily close to the western horizon painting the humid sky purple and pink. But all this escaped his mind.

He swept his straw hat off his head and ruffled his dark hair to disperse the band around his bowl cut. Tucking his hat under his arm, he dug in a pocket producing the little black velvet case. He dropped down on one knee before his intended for the umpteenth time.

“Please, Anna. I beg you. I love you more than I can ever express. The moon and the stars revolve around you. You are my whole world. You make me complete. Won't you please honor me by becoming my bride? Make me the proudest man alive. Please marry me. I promise to always treat you with respect and love. I'll, I'll make you the queen of our castle. I'll do anything you want. I want you to be happy. We are made for each other. We are good for one another. I'll cherish you always.”

Only able to see the top of her white cap Anakin repeatedly pleaded but Anna continued to hang her head unable to look into his sad puppy-dog eyes, “Oo, it's bigger than the last time.” She admired the proffered gift.

“Well, when you are in the business...”

“It's wonderful yet I, I simply can't. I love you, too. But you know why. Please try to understand.” She shook her head. “Da, will never...”

“Your Da will never accept me. That's it. Isn't it. He will never give his consent no matter how much I try to convince him I am everything you want, everything he wants for you. I am a proficient provider. I share your faith, I share your goals. I would never, ever hurt you. I'll not move you far, far away. We'll stay in the vicinity. You can visit as often as you like. I will be a model son-in-law. Help him with whatever he desires. I'll learn his trade. Follow in his footsteps. He can tell me all the things I do wrong. I won't argue. I, I...want you so much. He can't keep us apart. I've courted you ever since I moved in next door. Followed all the rules. Have never laid a hand on you. He won't even agree to let us hold hands yet. I want to at least be engaged so we can walk hand in hand and not have to have that chaperon beside us at all times.

“Oh, sorry, Grossdoddy, nothing against you, of course. But I only have eyes for Anna. You understand, right?” He nodded apologetically to the rocking chair pumping octogenarian positioned next to her.

“Please, Anakin. It's been hard on me, too. What can I say? You think I like this garb? It's the only thing he will allow me to wear. It's what we wore in our old country, you know.” As she smoothed her crisp pinafore apron she chanced a slight look up at his eyes. His soulful eyes. She could read his heart pouring out through them.

It thrilled him to see her eyes peer into his. He loved seeing those incredible, hazel doe eyes with natural lush lashes that he had fallen madly in love with. Oh, how he wished to gaze on all of her. What secrets lurked beneath the excessive folds of material that graced her tempting curves? Blast these old customs. But, alas, it was still not to be granted.

“It's, it's my family isn't it? Their past, my past. Something I had no control over. Something I can never go back and change. Can never make better. It still seems so unfair.”

“Don't torture yourself, My Love. It is not your fault. You can't help where you were born or who raised you, or how you were raised. You have managed to come a long way despite that legacy. You should be proud of yourself.”

“For all the good it has accomplished. Your father only sees what he wants. What once was. The past looms large over me.”

“There was good in it, too, from what you told me.”

“Sure, sure. I lived an exciting childhood. Traveled the world over. Saw all the seven wonders and then some that weren't so wonderful. Chased the four winds sailing seven seas. Climbed every mountain on seven continents. Toured tunnels and caves. Safaried jungles and deserts. Picked ice caps and rode rivers.

“But then again I dodged bullets and escaped capture, slipped the hangman's noose and fought wars among the stars. Ran from the law and hit men, disappeared in the night never knowing wrong from right. I am lucky to be here beside you now.”

“It wouldn't change though, would it, Anakin? Even if you married me we could never settle down and feel safe and free. Could we? That name. That name will always haunt us.” Anna was close to tears in those beautiful eyes.

“It's the name he doesn't like. I could legally change that cursed name. Okay? I could be done with it. It has never served me well. What would you think of that, my beloved Anna? I'll simply change my name and you would never have to carry it. No one needs to know differently.”

“Da, Da would know and remember.”

“We can move somewhere new. He can come with us. We'll have a fresh, brand new start. Anakin can disappear behind a mask. Never to be heard from again.”

“You've been everywhere. Where could you possibly find a haven where no one would recognize that face? You have a reputation to live down. How long do you think you can hide out in our Pennsylvania Dutch community?” Grossdoddy had to chime in on this futile discussion.

“Oh, come on, Good Sir. Help me out here. I gotta have this woman. Can't you see that? Guess I could have some plastic surgery done on this old mug. And I can grow a beard after we say our vows.”

“Oh, but I like your old mug exactly like it is, My Love.”

“And I love, I love your eyes exactly as they are, My Sweet.”

“So if you kept your name and I took in it on I would be Anna...”

“You would have to live with the same name as his momma.” Grossdoddy spoke loud and clear. “How would your Da like that nomenclature. Bet his father had a hard time convincing his mother to marry him, too. That name got her killed. And this man has a sign right out front.”

“A case of mistaken identity. That's all. What can I say. Diamond dealing is a treacherous occupation. We suffered greatly in that bloody little shootout. But Brother, Ace, is doing alright now walking on his prosthetic legs and my younger sister, Ima..., well, her therapist says she'll be as good as new in a few years. We were so young we barely remember our dad, Asa, making those killer introductions where ever we traveled.”

Dejected once again, Anakin wished them a pleasant evening, tucked the box back in his pocket, donned his hat and shuffled down the lane turning into his own driveway pass his mailbox that read 'A. Sassin'.




September 08, 2023 19:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Kevin Logue
10:39 Sep 09, 2023

Haha, lovely word there Mary. I was convinced it was mid 19th century until the mention of plastic surgery. What a lively life it seemed the MC had to, there's a few untold stories there. The last paragraph has Archie, is that meant to be Anakin?

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:09 Sep 09, 2023

Oops I was looking for just the right name and changed it a couple of times. Thanks. Glad you liked it. Also had started out as older century but fast forwarded so he was hiding in plain site.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
15:45 Sep 23, 2023

Hi Mary! I think that you blended humor and romance into the story wonderfully. Perhaps, that is how the best stories in life are told. I loved the way that you leaned on some punny moments and I also appreciated how the story felt a little outrageous at times. It was a great take on the prompt. Nice work!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:40 Sep 24, 2023

Thanks for nice compliment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
13:08 Sep 18, 2023

🤣🤣🤣. I struggled not to jump to the end, but I’m glad I waited for the payoff. So clever, and the setting and tone provided great misdirection!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:15 Sep 18, 2023

Great compliment from master of suspense.😄

Reply

Martin Ross
14:24 Sep 18, 2023

And I have Alfred Hitchcock’s general build!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:30 Sep 18, 2023

Oops, I do,too. Not so good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
23:50 Sep 16, 2023

Loved the writing and the situation you set up! Anakin A. Sassin & Anna A. Sassin. Lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nina H
19:11 Sep 14, 2023

The ending 😂

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:34 Sep 15, 2023

Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
01:25 Sep 14, 2023

Very well done. It kept me reading because I wanted to know what happens at the end. Everything is explained at the very end and now we understand the decline Good read

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
20:43 Sep 13, 2023

Ha! Yeah, the whole thing felt like it was building up to that punchline, and I was definitely wondering where it would go :) The name Anakin and "fought wars among the stars" put me in mind of someone, but that was a red herring. "Anna Sassin" is very fun though :) Still, considering his family's storied history, perhaps there's more to this than just a name - thanks for sharing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:11 Sep 14, 2023

I wanted it to be simply the name always being mistaken for an occupation. I kept searching for the right names and settled on Anakin hoping I could mislead a bit.😏 Thanks for getting a kick out of it.😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
13:20 Sep 13, 2023

I probably would have married him. Good yarn, Thanks Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:40 Sep 12, 2023

A. Sassin! I am deceased !!! Brilliant!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
09:28 Sep 12, 2023

😁 thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robin Owens
01:13 Sep 11, 2023

Funny ending! My favorite line was "rocking chair pumping octogenarian." And I love the setup at the beginning.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:03 Sep 11, 2023

Thanks. Nice compliment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
01:43 Sep 10, 2023

A tale of flustered romance with more than a little sass.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
10:16 Sep 10, 2023

Thanks for liking and commenting. Hard to live with name like Anna Sassin.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.