THE RECONCILIATION

Written in response to: End your story with two characters reconciling.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Happy

Rubi Isle is well-known among the lands of planet tellus – earth’s twin only 800 years younger. One of the prosperous citizens of RI was Fez. He not only owned a cotton plantation but a popular tavern which made him rich. Fez was 18 and he was tall and handsome. Besides managing his business interests he was a patron of cultural activities. He had founded the RI Entertainers which consisted of singers, dancers and play actors which had attracted many who would donate towards expenses. The current leading star of the show was Sigma and she headed the troupe. She was attractive, slim and tall and was aged 17. Her snake dance was a hit with many encores. As her fame spread many wealthy and important people wanted to marry her.

Sigma was arrogant and self-opinionated and kept herself aloof from all suitors. She would merely acknowledge through her aide Kyra, all gifts and other tokens of affection sent to her by her fans. In due course she started a new initiative: The Travelling Culture Show (TCS). The troupe would travel by boat to various destinations, camp, and show their virtuosity.

Fez who attended one of the shows was greatly attracted to Sigma. He tried to meet her and tell her but she was frightfully busy with her rehearsals and programs. While other patrons gifted her money or ornaments, Fez donated 2 large capacity sail boats for the troupe which no doubt impressed Sigma.

Another of Sigma’s admirers was Buk the Chief Minister’s son. The CM was the highest ranked employee of the kingdom and he was also rich due to his land holdings. Buk was very good with bow and arrow.  To be close to Sigma and woo her Buk joined the troupe as master archer. He would demonstrate his capacity wherever the troupe performed and his show would be greatly appreciated. However Sigma took no notice of him as a suitor though he was a slim and handsome young man 18 years old.

Sigma managed TCS with only the gypsy girl Kyra to assist her. She trusted Kyra fully. While Buk had joined the TCS to romance Sigma, Kyra fell in love with Buk though he didn’t care for her.

One more person who comes into the story is Chili. She was a good looking young woman who owned a prosperous perfumery besides a laundry. She had had business dealings with Fez and had fallen in love with him. By the time she could get him to notice her he had been accepted by Sigma. Sigma’s wedding with Fez was a grand affair and she came to live with Fez. She took in Kyra for service in ḥer house.

Fez and Sigma lived happily for nearly 4 months. One day Fez said “Sigma you might’ve heard of Chili the perfumer and launderer. She is a very prosperous and able business woman. She sent word to me through an intermediary that she would like to be my second wife. Her argument is that our combined strength would enable us to grow further. I turned her down. I thought I should tell you so that mischievous elements don’t misinterpret to disturb our connubial harmony.”

Sigma merely listened. She wasn’t convinced about his having turned down Chili’s proposal. A day later she said to her husband “I’ve been neglecting TCS. It needs strengthening. Let me concentrate on it for a wḥile.” She moved to TCS.

Meanwhile RI was hit by record rainfall. Many houses were destroyed and movement of people was at a standstill. Seeing the plight of the people, Fez organized relief at his expense. Food was made available to many. Once the rain stopped many houses had no roofs. Fez arranged for them to stay in his houses which were intact. Take the case of Gizma the elderly woman who sold vegetables.  Fez used her. He had already provided relief to her husband who had been hurt in a domestic fire accident. He got Gizma to cook and distribute food to the needy after the rains. Chili joined in the welfare activity.

It was while Gizma was on relief work that she again met Kyra. She asked “Where are you now Kyra?”

Kyra ignored her. Gizma thought: This woman was doing low cleaning jobs. Now she has become arrogant!  She made enquiries from sources known to her about Kyra and was given details.

She was told “Kyra is now important as she has become Sigma’s aide. She has fallen in love with Buk and is doing her best to trap him but he is a hard nut to crack.”

Another source said “I don’t know how far it is true. It is said Chili has paid Kyra to influence Sigma against Fez so that they part. Chili wants to marry Fez.”

Just a few weeks later it was announced that Buk would wed the daughter of a rich man of neighboring kingdom of Zygos.

Kyra met Buk and said “I had been expecting you to marry me. I’ve told you of my love for you. Yet you’re marrying another woman.”

Buk said “Remember you failed to get Sigma to marry me.”

“It wasn’t my fault. But now see how they’re separated. It was me who told Sigma that Fez was longing for Chili.”

“You made money that way. Your intentions weren’t clean.”

They parted. That night as usual Kyra left Buk his cup of milk. By the time he went to sleep it was late and as the cup slipped from his hand a part of the milk was spilled. He was lucky as Kyra had poisoned the milk. She had also drunk poisoned milk and was found dead.

Chili meanwhile was said to be ill following exertions due to the charitable activities she had undertaken. Fez immediately wanted to see her. Gizma said she would go with him in case feminine help was required. Both of them realized that she was only pretending to be ill as she looked well and made up as well. Obviously she hadn’t expected Gizma to visit!

The two returned when Gizma said “Master you can’t trust women. I’m a woman and say so. Women have their own compulsions. Chili wants to wed you. I suggest you get back with Sigma.”

“She had left on her own.”

“That was because of the doings of Kyra that no good gypsy girl. Now that she is gone it would be a relief to Sigma. I’ll immediately talk to ḥer and clarify all.”

The very next day Sigma returned from her camp at the TCS. He had expected her to apologize but not a single word was spoken by her. That night she was already in bed when he came to her. In the dark he felt for her and found she was nude. He was surprised.

She said “Do your part. I want a baby.”

“What else?”

“Only action.” She laughed and added “With Chili in mind I suppose.”

“I’ll go to sleep.”

“No don’t”

In a while her loud cry at orgasm made him ask “Do you want the neighbors to come in to help you?”

She had quieted and said “I don’t need anyone’s help as long as you handle me ably like now.” In moments she was snoring in his arms. They were reconciled.

END

August 13, 2023 13:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.