Good and Gone

Written in response to: Start your story with “Today’s the day I change.”... view prompt

1 comment

Teens & Young Adult Inspirational Creative Nonfiction

Today is the day I change. I have this strong feeling today will be the day something changes for the better, I just haven't figured what it is yet.

I am tired, tired of fighting, tired of living, tired of cancer. I have spent 3 years fighting this cancer, I am over it. I found the perfect guy and lived long enough. The Doctor says I have at most 6 months to live.

I live in a small house with white siding with a small porch in the front and a big porch in the back with a medium size yard with a golden retriever dog. When you first walk into the house it is a mud room and then you walk into the living room with a tv and a big couch then to the right is the stairs to go upstairs and then if you continue forward it's the kitchen in Greenport, New York, right by New York City so I can easily reach my doctor.  

~ ~ ~

This morning I woke up and it's just like the day before. I am tired and the pain shoots through my body like lightning shoots down from the sky. My boyfriend walks in with my favorite chocolate pancakes with whipped cream and syrup on top and a side of strawberries. We are trying to spend as much time together as possible because I only have at most 6 months to live. 

“Good morning, how are you feeling,” Anthony says in a cheery mood.

“Good morning, I am feeling like I normally do,” I say. As I eat, Anthony turns on my favorite show of all time, Friends. He climbs into bed with me and we sit there and laugh constantly, like we always do. I think to myself “man am I lucky to have found him,” honestly I don’t know what I would do without him.  “Are you ready to take a shower,” Anthony asks. 

I look over at him and say “One more episode and then I am ready.”

“Okay,” Anthony replys.

~ ~ ~

The episode is over and Anthony helps me out of the comfort of my bed. I set my foot on the soft fluffy carpet and slowly make my way to the bathroom as Anthony is holding my arm and helping me balance. I step one foot in the shower and it is warm, just as I like it. All of the sudden, it's like the world has been taken from under my feet and I fall and hit my head and all I see is black.

~ ~ ~

Point of view of Anthony:

All of the sudden, Abigail is down on the ground. My heart is racing, I move quickly down to her to try to wake her up.

“Abigail, are you okay? Wake up, wake up, wake up,” Anthony is screaming. He rushes to his phone with his hand shaking, he dials 911. He lifts his phone to his face.

Someone answers with a sweet girl voice, “Hello, what is the address of the emergency.”

“126 Center street, Greenport, New York,” I reply

“What is the phone you are calling from?”

“518-262-1435”

“What is your name?”

“Anthony Jones”

“Tell me exactly what happened”

“My girlfriend, Abigail, fell while she was getting in the shower and hit her head and she is not waking up. She also has stage 4 melanoma cancer.”

“How old is the patient?”

“27”

“Is the patient breathing?”

“No”

“Okay put your hands on her chest and start pushing up and down. 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5, Keep going. Someone is on their way, stay on the line.”

“Okay,” I hear sirens in the distance. They are almost here. I see an ambulance turn quickly on the road and then quickly in the driveway. I see the paramedics run in. “In here, in here,” they quickly run in and take over cpr and I get pushed to the side. They pick her up and set her in the stretcher and run through the house to the ambulance. They fold up the stretcher and lift her up into the ambulance. Her heart beat is back but not really there.

   ~ ~ ~

Scene 2:

Anthony:

We got into the freezing cold hospital. I am still in shock, I get sent to the waiting room. I sit down on those cold leather seats. I see others sitting around, some crying, some worried, and some playing with their kids. I cross my hands into my laps and start praying. 

Dear Lord, Please save Abigail. Heal her, please I don’t know what I would do without her. Don’t just heal her from the brain injury but from cancer. You are in control. In Jesus name. Amen.

“Anthony Jones,” the doctor asks in the waiting room. I stand up and walk over to a doctor with brown hair and in blue scrubs and looks to be 5’8”, “May I talk to You for a second over here,” she leads me to a small room, “Okay, so we were able to bring her back, we talked to her doctor and saw the scans. We re-scanned her and it looks like everything is healed and the cancer is gone.”

Hearing that the cancer is gone was the best thing ever. I stand up and start crying because all the stress is off and I thank God. I hug the doctor, I ask the doctor, “When can I go see her?”

“Right now, she woke up a while ago but we wanted to get scans done and check her out,” the doctor replies. The doctor leads me to Abigail's room, I am so focused on what just happened and all of it was a blur. 

I get to her room and I walk in and I see how dead she looks but all I care about is that she is okay. I go up to her and kiss her on her lips and give her the biggest hug I have ever given her.

~ ~ ~

Abigail point of view:

I can’t believe I am still alive right now. I am so tired and soar. My head is pounding like I am constantly hitting the wall with my head. 

Anthony walks in with the biggest smile on his face. He walks over and gives me a kiss and a hug that I have been waiting for.  

The doctor walks over and says happily, “You are healed and you are going to be okay. You can live the rest of your life, the cancer is gone.”

I state, “What, seriously, how is the cancer gone,” with the biggest smile on my face.

The doctor says, “I don’t know how but I guess you hit your head just right so that you were healed.”

I then remembered when I was out, I saw Jesus and he told me to “tell them about me and your story.” I hugged Jesus too.

Anthony jugged me again, while the doctor left the room. I get to leave tomorrow and then I just have to come for a check up in 2 weeks and only a few more appointments and then it turns into yearly appointments. I am so happy that I want to hug everyone in sight.

November 03, 2021 14:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Graham Kinross
23:48 Nov 21, 2021

Jesus! That's all I have to say about that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.