0 comments

Holiday

Tonight was so burst. Thousands of people are happy to welcome tonight out there. They make various shows, parties. Sell ​​lots of fireworks to celebrate. yes, tonight is new year's eve. The night I was supposed to celebrate, but somehow I felt reluctant. Maybe because my heart feels unwell.

I didn't really enjoy it, but at least I was still in the crowd of this sea of ​​people. I was at my friend's party. Everyone was happy and became talkative, not with me who didn't really like crowds. I exiled myself at the bar in the corner of the room accompanied by a bartender who has a lot of fairy tales. I hear a lot of strange tales. Maybe he intentionally made up his story for boring people like me.

“Hey Dude, come on, you should have celebrated tonight. Until when do I have to tell stories until you get bored and join the crowded party there?” said the bartender who seemed to be running out of tales.

“Sorry, but I’ll stay here. I don’t want to be there.” I said seriously. The bartender could only nod. The next thing that happened was that the bartender wondered why I was acting like this when other people didn’t. I just choose to answer the point, I want to avoid the chat like that, but the bartender is too good for me to ignore.

“It’s just a woman’s problem. We first met on New Year’s Eve and yesterday she chooses to left me behind. So I’m not in a good mood when tonight arrives.” I say that in my opinion is too much. But at least it’s enough to make the bartender doesn’t talk about it any further.

“Women are difficult to understand, I’m sorry.” Said the bartender, who I welcomed with a nod of my head. It’s okay, he shouldn’t feel sorry.

The bartender returned to the story. I mistakenly thought the story was over because in fact he still had a thousand more. I remember the story about a man who woke up in a different era and he had to find the key to return to his day with the help of a bear. Ridiculous, but I don't know why I only remember that one while the bartender keeps talking about many things.

It's almost midnight. 11:45 PM. I'm still with the bartender, but the difference is I'm already very sleepy. maybe I heard too much raving because it is clear that I can no longer lift my head. I let sleep drown me by force.

***

“Hey, wake up you strange man!” I felt my back pat a few times and the sentence entered my ears. Pushed my eyes to open. What's the matter? as far as I know, I'm not a strange man.

I opened my eyes and felt dazzled by the fierce sun. I turned to avoid the sun and in front of me was a disheveled man. He brought a lot of goods. He seemed to be a trader because when I looked around, the land was filled with the footing of many people who were conducting transactions. Maybe this is the market.

Wait, what ?! market? impossible. I was at a party last night, why did I wake up at the market? the bartender wouldn't want to take me and leave me at the market. After all, why is everyone dressed unusually?

"Are you aware of a strange man?" asked the man who woke me up. I did not understand, but I nodded in response.

I frown. "Sorry sir, I want to ask. What date is it today?" Now, the man frowned.

"February 12th." The answer that made me shocked. This is supposed to be January 1st!

"What year is it now?" I asked. I was confused, the calendar could not be wrong, and this person - I was very confident could read the calendar. So what else is wrong besides the year?

"You really are a strange man. This is 1920." Hearing the answer then my eyes were really open.

Crazy! 1920. It should now be 2020! Do I have a time machine that took me 100 years before? Even the century is different. Anyone help me!

"Are you lost? You can help me, I will let you stay until you find your way home. I need employees to carry my wares." the man offered. I feel relieved. At least I can live with this person. Hopefully, he is not a bad person.

I feel wrong. I really helped him and lived with him. I can't think but to go with him because I'm really lost here.

The man named Dan. I don't know his full name, at least he said I could call him that. Dan lives in a peaceful little village next to the market. I have to express something before it gets further, 1920 is amazing! I was very impressed with the clothes these people were wearing.

Dan has a daughter. His Daughter is lovely. Her name is Lidya. She is really full of hope. I really like sharing my thoughts with her.

"So, you are a human from 2020?" she asked when I told her my origin. I answered yes very confidently. Unlike his father who thinks I'm weird, Lidya's eyes immediately sparkle.

"Really? How are things there? What year like those clothes like mine are still used? What about technology?" She asked so much that I was overwhelmed to answer. She was so curious about the world for the next 100 years. I told her a lot about my era, and she is happy to hear my story.

"Do you want to know my secret? But promise, don't tell my father because he can be very angry. Maybe this could be your way home." She said in a whisper to make the surroundings mysterious.

I will immediately answer no, but hearing the last sentence makes me think again. "What is that?" The thing that happened next was Lidya pulled me somewhere. We went together sneaking in the dark of the night to make me feel that I'm like a bad person. But for my way home, I will do it.

After a walk for some minutes, we are here. In a cellar. The room is interesting because it is filled with technologies that are somewhat more advanced than in 1920. I imagine what this place really is.

"Let me introduce you, this is my workspace," Lidya said, to my surprise, what was this sweet girl doing in a cellar full of technology?

"What are you working on?" I asked curiously. Lidya immediately explained. She explained how she found this place, then what she was doing.

Lidya said when her mother died Lidya and her father decided to tidy up her mother's room. But without her father knowing, Lidya found the hallway behind his mother's bed. She followed her passage to the room. Then she realized this space had many shortcuts, she could go to many places with one hallway.

Regarding the technology problem, she did not know. When she found it, this is what the room looks like. Already tech. Then she learned that her mother had quietly studied the technology without anyone else knowing.

Lidya said her mother made a time machine. She wants to see the condition of her family in the coming years. She is also as curious as Lidya about the outside world in the next few years. Lidya knew that she immediately decided to study it and continue what her mother had made.

Things are now spinning in my head. Imagine yourself suddenly awakened in 1920, then there is a girl talking about a time machine and all the technology that suddenly exists. All makes no sense. Was she in the bartender story he remembered? It makes no more sense.

"Can you hear me?" said Lidya, irritated by my long thoughts of what had happened.

"I heard. But this is all strange in my mind." I honestly say that. Lidya smiled. She used to remember her mother often imagined the arrival of someone from the future who would come with him to explore the future. Now her mother's imagination is real.

"So, is your time machine ready?" I asked in the end. Lidya was very excited, I also knew she was a hard worker. Her work is very good, even though I dare not guarantee this one.

"I did, but I didn't find anything or someone to try. Maybe you can." He said innocently that made me a glare. Secretly this girl is crazy. I want to be a guinea pig.

"I do not want." I refuse it raw. I also said that I would go into the machine at that time if there were really previous results. Lidya nodded, she said she would find out how. The girl was really firm in what she wanted to do.

Every day, after helping Dan at the market, I would quietly go to the room to meet Lidya. Truly the girl has many amazing ideas. Now, I believe she can finish her time machine and take me home.

We also tell each other about many things. Lidya is like another part of me. She really understood where my mind was going, and she could follow it. That is the reason why I like talking with her.

Lidya tells a lot about her dreams. The time machine is her dream, and I am very sure in my heart, I'm sure she can achieve her dream. That time machine, I hope it can finish and carry out its functions properly.

***

I've waited a long time for this day. Lidya's time machine is estimated to be today. I was very curious to try the time machine after many things that she proved.

Yesterday I made a pigeon enter the time machine. Lidya processed it to appear in California, where her aunt's and uncle lived. A few minutes after Lidya sent the pigeon, her aunt called and said there was a strange incident suddenly a pigeon fell from the sky. Her aunt also tells the characteristics of her bird. It turns out the same. Lidya was very happy. I'm happy to see her happy. Her face looks very bright when she smiles happily. Then without me realizing, I also began to fall asleep by her smile. I hope her smile can continue to expand.

Some of the same events have also been proven. We put in some test items. The results are amazing. Lidya succeeded. I'm sure her mother will be very proud to see her child can finish what he did.

We once only sent it to the closest place so we could see how it happened when it had passed the time machine. That day, I bought a bag for Dan as my gratitude. After all, his bag was already very unfit to use, but he was too fond of the bag. It was the bag Lidya gave him when he had his birthday 5 years ago. 1915.

I told Lidya to send it to the market where Dan spends so much time in a day. I was at the market when Lidya sent it and it was magical. Before the bag appeared, a fraction of a second also appeared a colorful portal. That as the delivery of goods or something from a time machine. That is amazing.

"Are you ready?" Lidya asked me. I nodded. Hopefully, this trip is as smooth as the trip for the items we previously sent.

Lidya pressed the button. Ugh, I forgot! I haven't even said goodbye yet. I was very careless then felt I was only concerned with myself considering that Lidya worked very hard to help me go home. But I didn't even have the chance to give her a goodbye hug.

I want to get out of the time machine portal breaker capsule. But it was too late because Lidya had pressed the button, then turned and waved her hand slowly. Either I'm overly confident or what, I feel like she wants to be with me.

"Sorry, thank you, goodbye. Hope we can meet again." I say quickly before my capsule completely disappears from Lidya's vision.

***

"Heartbreaker, don't you want to wake up and see the fireworks party soon?" I heard a faint sound. I open my eyes and hoopla, I'm back at the party.

"Huh? I want to go back." I say raved. I want to go back to Lidya's place, but even that capsule is lost somewhere. I forced myself to open my eyes. Strange thing, I saw Dan dressed like a bartender. Wait-

"Dan?" I called sure. Dan smile. So the one who accompanied me all night was Dan? How could he possibly be a bartender?

"Finally you realize it." He said simply. I do not understand. Did Dan also use a time machine? then what about Lidya? I frown. My mind is too much raging.

"You have to explain it to me," I replied. I don't care if the party crowd moves away because the fireworks party in the center of Paris will be lit.

Dan tells a lot of stories. I know this is no longer the tale. After I left, Dan said Lidya became unenthusiastic, then Dan realized that Lidya's soul had gone with me. And assume that I and Lidya should be together.

Lidya finally opened her mouth about the time machine. Dan initially angry because he did not know anything, while one human –Of course I am was lost from civilization and somehow how I will be next. But Dan understood, Lidya did it for me.

At that moment, Dan asked Lidya to teach everything she knew about the technology there. Dan promised he would renew the time machine system so that Lidya and himself could overtake me to 2020.

Dan creates a time-returning machine in a small form so that it's easy to carry anywhere. Lidya can create other capsules so that many people can go together in a one-time delivery process.

That day, Dan said Lidya wanted to see me. She insisted on trying his own time machine. Dan understands, he must do that for the sake of his favorite daughter. He let his daughter go, looking for someone he loved. Me.

For some reason, the time machine experienced a technical error, which Dan knew later it was because there was water near the electric current in the cable that was connected directly between the capsule and the engine. Lidya capsules are out of control. Disappeared from the supervision of the time machine then Lidya just disappeared.

I gasped. Dan really loves her daughter. I could feel he could cry or finish a hundred beers now because he was frustrated by the things he forgot to notice when he sent Lidya.

Dan tried to find me. Finally, he uses his own capsule. He runs it automatically so he can go alone. He arrived safely this year and helped an old bartender, so he participated as a bartender. He met me at a party before that I had never noticed. He knew that I was going to this party on New Year's Eve, so he brought his mini-time-backing device and put it on my shirt, who knows when. He tried to remind me of Lidya.

I sincerely thank you for Dan for bringing me back to remember Lidya. Then together Dan and I thought of a way to restore Lidya. And say, this is New Year's Eve. Maybe I should enjoy the fireworks for a moment after going through many trips.

Dan and I come out, where there have been many seas of people burning and surging when fireworks appear and mess up in the sky there. Beautiful fireworks. I imagine Lidya is here.

“Hello, welcome to our super-breaking-midnight-news. A strange capsule has been found floating on the coast of Argeles Sur Mer. The rescue team said there was a woman alive in it. This is a new year's miracle. How could a woman survive after being floated in a capsule for days? Wait for us in the next news. Enjoy the rest of your new year's eve.” Dan and I could hear clearly the television presenter's voice. We exchanged glances.

"Lidya!" We exclaimed at the same time. I immediately pulled And down. We left right then. Soon we will meet, Lidya. Be patient for a while in your capsule.

***

The girl in the capsule is really Lidya. He is now healthy. It has been 2 months since the New Year's Eve incident. We decided to live together. Daniel also agreed. Lidya is increasingly amazing. That is the right word to express himself. Lidya and I decided to rebuild the space full of technology. The three of us together and go back to learning to create tools to help all people.

The event that I will most never forget. I thank Dan for making me remember Lidya again by putting me to sleep with a time machine and going back to the 1920s. That was the most amazing part of my life.


January 01, 2020 16:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.