0 comments

Friendship Fiction Speculative

“The daylight savings is starting a little late this year" Anna mumbles into the receiver as she slides a folder into her drawer.

" Tell me about it," Noel replies giving off a smirk.

Anna places her finger on her lips to hush him up, mouths " this is important" then waves him off to leave her office.

Upon Noel's exit, she resumes back to the phone conversation.

" I will have to take a rain check," she pauses then continues " I have a board meeting that day and would be late coming in for your party."

She knows this trick, she has witnessed it a couple of times and will not fall into the trap again.

" Joseph, mama is not going to mind if I didn’t make it to her annual spring party. Besides, why schedule the party on the 29th day of March?" Anna asked rhetorically,   without waiting for an answer, she goes on " I will not have you fool me this year, last year was a major disaster, you fooled me once, and you know the saying " once bitten, twice shy?" Anna inquires as she puts the caller on speaker.

" You are paranoid, sister! As you said it is march 29th, that is two days before April first" came the voice from the other end of the line. "Mama will throw a fit, mate," Joseph said with a slight British accent.

" I am not your mate!" Anna exclaimed " I will have you know, that I am your big sister, who knows all your tricks in the books.

" Well, you failed on that last year" Joseph chuckles then whistles into the phone.

Yes, he was right on her failures as she had learned to find herself swarmed into Joseph's yearly April Fool's Day pranks. Every year, she tells herself she wouldn't be fooled by her annoying, yet dotting little brother, who goes out of his way to fool both her and their mother, and last year was no better.

Anna had been in one of her advertising meetings when Joseph called her cell phone thirty-three times, then he decided to call her office line. Anna in panic had assumed the worst because mama had been sick with arthritis, at that time of the year. So, her assumption had been on level hundred if anyone was counting.

Joseph, who had been visiting with mama called to let her know, that her house was on fire.

If memory serves her right, she remembered racing through the day of her firm like a crazy person, how she arrived home in time was certainly beyond her comprehension, only to find out that there wasn't any fire, that it was a prank, and mama also was in on it.

What a fool! That she was !!

How long has it been again?

When exactly did Joseph begin to find pleasure in his pranks?

Yes, it was the year after papa's death.

Anna had finished her homework on the patio of her house, waves at her neighbour, Mrs. Yenusa, who in turn waves back at her.

"Mama," Anna's younger brother yelled, as he ran into the patio to join her while in search of their mother.

"Hush," Anna said as she turns to look at her brother " Mama is asleep, we do not want to wake her up" she continues as she smiles down at Joseph.

"But, I want Mama, " the brother continues in a low tone.

Mama has had to work two jobs the previous day. One at the dollar store down the street, and the other in the downtown area at night.

Being a young fifteen years old with a four-year-old brother, and single mother she tends to think about the plight in which her mother faces to provide for both their needs.

The year two-thousand and five was a difficult year for them, Papa was a forefront paramedic, an essential worker who died on the frontline after contracting a mysterious virus. With the little insurance and savings, mama has to work for their upkeep.

Thinking through the events, Anna squats down to Joseph's eye level, and with a pleasing smile, she asks

" Right now, mama is exhausted we need to give her a break. While she sleeps, do you want to go to the park with me?"

"Yes, we can play seek?" Little Joseph had inquired

" Qui, hide and seek sounds like fun" Anna replied smiling slightly.

She remembers they had gone out to the park leaving mama all alone in the house. Anna and Joseph joined the neighbourhood children in pulling pranks at the older neighbours.

If memory serves her right, Joseph did learn a lot of tricks from her age group, because he went on to uphold the tradition till this day.

" Hello, are you still on with me?" The voice brings her back to the present, with shivers up her skin, Anna gives out a loud sigh, walks around her office space to stretch her leg.

"How do I squeeze his twenty-year-old neck to teach him a lesson" Anna mutters, the thought of doing such sent shivers to her spine.


" Yes, fine I will have Noel cancel the rest of my appointment for the day, and hop on the next available flight to Saskatoon."


"There you go, " anna hears him chuckle " Sister, I will see you in a few days, with my surprise " he chuckles with laughter

" Wait a minute, when do you leave London,?" Trying not to wrap her brain in the word "surprise"


" This Sunday. I will see you when I see you mate !" Muffled sarcastically, hangs up.

Upon returning the receiver, Anna finds herself slumped into the nearest chair in her office, situated in the heart of the downtown area in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

*****

Meeting ended a few hours before her flight to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

Joseph had called to remind her, what a busy swart!!

An hour to waste before leaving the office, Anna cancels her plans for the rest of the week, urges Noel to tag along with her on the trip, which he gladly obliged. 


Walks towards the pedestal, gazing at the view before her, she imagines the traffic, then with a sigh, "Spring is here! "

"Trees are growing, flowers bloom near " Noel cuts in, with a vibrant smile as he packs up the rest of the items on the bed

" Remind me, why you dread April Fool's day again?" Noel continues


" to us all, spring is dear..." Anna gave a pause to look for a pair of shoes " have you met my brother?" without waiting for a response " he is my horror movie."

" At thirty-one?" He laughs out loud "Well, let us start heading to the airport before we miss our flight "

***

Arrival and checking out took thirty minutes, when I find myself reaching for my phone to call for uber, I see my brother and my two high school friends walk into the lobby. Well, technically, one high school friend, the other is more like a frenemy.

When Joseph called her at Edmonton airport, he made no mention of Philip being in town. Let alone, that they would be picking them up in Saskatoon.

Is this a surprise? Anna chuckles releases a heavy breath.


A pat on my shoulder brought me back to my environment. The bustling lives around me, a wave at me and Noel.

"I miss this life," I said with a smile on my lips.


"I told you, leaving here wasn't the best choice. " Philip hugs me, said his greetings to Noel too.


"Common, you know why I left. Nothing good comes out of this city " I replied


"Well I am still here and am still good " in defence


" Philip, I didn't mean it that way. I have lived my whole life in this town. Remember we talked about this in high school. I was going to leave and chase my dream ......"


He cuts in


" While I stay to manage my dad's business. And now we living that dream. Anna, I have to say you have grown up into a fine woman. Your Mother is proud of you. "


"Thanks, Philip " teary eyes. I gave my friend a bear hug. I tried my best to contain the tears which were about to fall off my eyes. I can't lose it now. Not with everyone watching us now.


" Well, well, well. If it's not the duo... "

I untangled myself from his embrace, with my gaze on the familiar voice.


" Bianca " I muttered " What a bitch !" In silence.


" I SEE YOU HAVEN'T CHANGED... HOW ABOUT NEXT TIME

YOU TAKE PERMISSION FROM ME BEFORE YOU HUG MY MAN" she said


" What!" In a fury, my gaze fell back on Philip as my face gleams back at her!! BIANCA!! A nightmare I refuse to accept nor try to remember.

The trip back home is filled with awkward silence, as I try to arrange my train of thoughts, at the same time I observe Noel, who I know is a chatterbox tries to have a conversation with Joseph. Did he realize he is under no obligation to talk with anyone, not while I am trying so hard not to through a tantrum?

Why her? It could have been anyone but her, staring down at Philip right from the rare view mirror on my side.

" Hey, sister, we are home." Joseph jolts my attention back. "And mama is entertaining her group of friends" he continues " do you mind with the boxes?" He asked as he turns to Noel, who was out heading towards the back of the SUV. Philip did not hesitate to follow thereby leaving Bianca and me alone in the car.

With a big sigh, I open the door kn my end,

" It was never an option" I hear her say,

" pardon," I imply

" I never meant to treat you like that in high, I did not have a choice."

" How exactly did you treat me in High or how is this conversation supposed to resolve the crazy things? You know what, I am not having this conversation, you had the nerve to be dating my best friend, do not come here telling me how you had no option or choice. Matter of fact, stay away from me tonight or anywhere you see me. I have to remember as a bully that you were!"

"What a self -entitled b**tch," I said under my breath in fury I walk past the three men, standing midday to the entrance of my mum's house.

***

While Mama fusses to get me to eat, which I strongly believe was her way to keep me at bay, she knows I enjoy her cooking especially if it is one of the numerous delicacies she makes for her annual parties.

"Mama, my stomach is going to explode at this rate." I try to tell her before she makes me eat more grain of rice.

" Okay, baby. You go shower and join the rest" she smiles at me, my response being the same smile too, but I have to leave on the next available flight. Having Bianca in the same room is worst than being fooled by Joseph. Anna feels a pang of headache as she stands to climb the flight of stairs leading up to my room.

" Are you alright, Annie?" Mama's gaze became worrisome "You have to sit this one out" she giving me the" mother knows look"

"I am fine, mama" Anna replies while holding onto the stair wall, as she climbed the first three, Anna loses her footing, her hands, and balance giving way to the rest of her body as she falls down the stairs.

Waking up to a distinct, sharp medical odour is quite repulsive Anna thought to herself, as she looks around her room. She finds her mama, Noel, Philip and Joseph pacing in anticipation.

" Look, she is awake!" Joseph exclaimed " call the doctor" he continues

" I am the doctor," says Philip.

" Yes, that is true "

With everyone fussing over her, this evaluation is going to take a while, Anna sighs as her gaze fell on her mother.

" What happened? " Anna asks

" Do you remember anything?" Philp inquires

" Last I remember was climbing up the stairs, then lost my footing. I felt dizzy too" Anna replies.

" You fell, and passed out,"

" We were worried," Joseph cuts in as he finds his way to join everyone near my bed.

" How long?" Without waiting for a response, Anna looks at Noel "my phone, can I have it?"

" I will recommend not to use any electronics, for the time being, rest is what you need. I will set you up on another IV for the next twenty-four." Philip reprimands.

" If you want to know, you were out for a while, days if I may add" Noel smirks down at me. " What? That can not be right, you are not playing a prank on me, are you? " Anna exclaims

“ I think someone went through a great length to avoid the Fools day prank, even if Joseph wants to, it is too late for that, it is April 2nd” Noel smirks in response.

" Yes Sister, this is not a prank, you need to start taking care of yourself, "

" Anna baby, do want to take a break and spend time at home, " Mama asks with so much calm that a mother could control.

" Sure, mama. I will stay for a few days" Anna smiles as she looks out the window. She could hear the birds chirping away.

Indeed, spring is dear and fools like her do not know any better.





April 02, 2021 14:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.