1 comment

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

   Today was the wedding day and I was not going to let anyone ruin it for me. It began with me awakening from my sleepover at Krissy’s, my maid of honor’s, house. Though I was nauseous and headachy from the few drinks the night before, I could still manage. I was determined to manage. The excitement was unbearable.

   Terri, another of my bridesmaids, made scrambled eggs riddled with broken shell pieces. It was delicious. Terri decided to take this opportunity, with just the two of us awake so far, to warn me.

   “Sherry, you know how your Auggie used to go out with Krissy?”

   “That was a long time ago. Auggie already told me about that.”

   “Well, I need to talk to you about something more recent.”

   “No, you don’t. It’s my day. I don’t want to hear it.”

   “I have to say something as your friend.”

   “No, you don’t. Everybody’s always telling me they know better than me. Well, I don’t think you do. It’s my day, and I’m not letting anyone spoil it. Be my friend and be quiet.”

   Krissy came downstairs and Terri left the kitchen in a huff. Krissy got herself some of the scrambled eggs and made a big fuss about a little piece of eggshell she bit into.

   “Terri made these? I should’ve told her the kitchen is off limits to her. How’d you sleep? Was Terri saying anything? You weren’t listening to her, were you?”

   I leaned over and kissed Krissy’s cheek. “I’m not listening to anyone today. It’s my day. My best friend is my maid of honor. Auggie’s waiting for me at the church. It’s going to be perfect.”

   Janet and Ang came down to breakfast. In no time they were helping me with my wedding dress, doing my makeup, and handing out the flowers.

   We piled into a couple of taxis for the church. One white dress, and four peach dresses.

   Terri sat in the front with the driver and Krissy sat in the back with me. They both kept looking up to the rear view mirror to glare at each other in silence. I rolled down my window. It was such a beautiful day. It went overcast, then the rain came. It didn’t matter.

   At the church I got out of the taxi and tore half my train away. My dad said he would be suing the cab company. He would be suing the taxi driver. He would be suing the dressmaker. It didn’t matter.

   The Minister found some thread in his office desk. It was black.

   “I only wear black shirts. Brings out the collar. I just have this for sewing buttons back on. Sorry.”

   He had fabric scissors which left a jagged line where I cut away the torn parts of my dress. Ang sewed up a fourteen-inch tear along the right side leaving a zigzagging black line for everyone to see. It didn’t matter. Only the ceremony mattered. It would make everything perfect again.

   My mother took me aside to have the talk.

   “Always keep a part of yourself for yourself. You know what I’m saying?”

   I did. I cried and hugged her.

   Then mom said, “Oh, your cousin, Georgie, from Ohio, is getting married, too. Well, not till the fall. But isn’t that the best news!”

   Sure. Thanks, mom. That couldn’t have waited for another day? Never mind.

   The music was starting but I wasn’t going to rush this for the world. My dad came to get me, instead of waiting for me to join him for the walk down the aisle.

   “You know Sherry, when I first met Auggie I didn’t like him… “

   “Dad, I’m not asking you what you think of him. I only need you to walk me down the aisle. I’ll do the rest.”

    “Ah, now don’t be that way. This is important. If I don’t say something now, we may both regret missing this moment. Now, Auggie has his faults. And I’m not picking on those. But I have to say there’s something…”

   “No, you don’t. You don’t have to say anything. Why does everyone talk to me like I’m a child? This is my day. My day. I love you. Now, will you trust my judgement for once, and let this be my day?”

   I almost brought him to tears. Dad nodded and patted my back and then offered his arm. I took it and he led me out of the Minister’s room, down the stairs, and finally, down the aisle.

   Boy, everyone turning and looking hits you like a ton of bricks. But I was strong and I was determined. My cousin Amy’s baby was screaming. Maybe I had kept everyone waiting a bit too long. I didn’t think the organist could read the sheet music. Didn’t matter.

   There was Auggie. We giggled. The Minister began. He got to, ‘speak now or forever’ and I looked daggers over to Terri who was ready to scream. I was not going to let her ruin this. This was not going to be her moment.

   Auggie said “I do.” Our whole lives together ran through my head. Growing up along the creek. Watching him preen outside the general store. Watching him play softball. Watching him play hockey. Going for fries down at the beach. High School Prom. Getting his Real Estate License. Niagara Falls.

   “Do you?”

   I found myself stuck in my own daydream.

   “Do you?” The Minister repeated.

  I giggled. Auggie giggled. The whole church started laughing.

   I got control of myself.

   “No.” I shook my head laughing. The church went quiet. “No, I won’t marry you. I won’t marry you, Augustus Thomas Kavanagh. You slept with Krissy last weekend. You slept with my best friend. You’re a turd. Actually, Krissy is not my best friend anymore. Terri is my best friend.” I stepped down from the altar and found Terri and hugged her.

   My dad came and guided me back to the Minister’s office while everyone tried to figure what the fallout was.

   “I’m sorry.” I cried to my dad.

   “I’ve never been prouder. You did the right thing.”

   I slapped his arm. “I know I did the right thing. I didn’t need your approval.”

   He held his hands up in surrender and I hugged him.

   My mom joined us. “What do you want to do now?”

   “We better go to the reception, you both paid for it.”

   My dad got up. “Good, I’ll go tell Auggie he’s not invited.”

   “And Krissy.”

   “She already left.” Mom said.

   “Dad? You know you almost spoiled it?”

   “I know. I should have trusted you.”

March 08, 2023 17:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Viga Boland
23:45 Mar 11, 2023

Well that was a twist and a half. Never saw that coming with such a wonderful buildup. I kept wondering, in relation to the prompt, when everything would go downhill. Funnily enough, I think that happened for Auggie LOL. Fun read David.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.