1 comment

Drama Holiday

“Alright, Dad, alright. We’ll see you and Tamerlene in Cambridge. I’ll have Roger tell his mother to set an extra place at the table. Love you, too. Bye.” Terry hung up and let out a frustrated growl. “I knew this was gonna happen sooner or later.”

“Your dad bringing the new wife to Christmas dinner?” Roger asked, finishing the wrap job on another gift.

“Yep, and while I’m not thrilled about it, I’m gonna suck it up. She stood up to get a cup of coffee when her mobile went off. “Yeah, pop?” She listened for a moment then rolled her eyes. “Okay. We’ll add two more. Right. Love you, too. Bye.”

“What’s going on now?”

“My new stepbrother and sister are coming too. Fantastic.”

“I’ll tell Mum to expect three more. Good thing she always makes extra food this time of year.”

“Almost makes me wish we were in Germany again this year. Could get away from all this.”

“You’d still have to deal with it when we got back, love.” He stretched and stood. “Coffee?”

“Yes, please. Don’t be surprised if I go out for some espresso shots later.”

“Get me my usual if you do.”

“Always, honey. Thank you.” She sipped the hot liquid.

“Speaking of Germany, I think I’m gonna get you another present this year. Of course, you’ll have to wait ‘til Christmas for it.”

“Think I can guess what it is, but I’ll play along.” She sighed. “I suppose I’ll have to think of something for my new siblings. Can’t stand either one of them. Travis is so oblivious he doesn’t know which way’s out sometimes. And Carrie is so stuck up, you’d think she was Bloody Mary Tudor.”

“Hard to shop for people like that. Gift cards would be the way to go.”

“Think that’s my best bet. The question is: which shops?”

“From what you’ve told me as I have yet to meet them, I doubt they read like you do, so bookshops are out.” He thought for a moment.

“I know! Amazon gift cards! That way, they can get whatever they want and you don’t have to stress at the last minute.”

“Roger, you’re brilliant.” He grinned. “How much should we get on them?”

“You said they seemed kinda ritzy, right?” She nodded. “Think I can spare £100 on each. Hopefully, that shouldn’t get you any eye-rolls.”

“We’ll see about that. Even if I do get them, so what? Not like they’re gonna get us anything anyway.”

“Your Dad knows you’re engaged now, right?”

“Oh, yeah. I told him when we got back from Berlin last year. Was a hell of a New Year’s Eve gift. I couldn’t tell if he was gonna cry or scream in joy. I’m just glad he thinks of you as a son already.” She picked up a book and started wrapping it. “Of course, that’s when he sprung it on me that he’d gotten hitched while I was gone. Talk about surprised.”

“I don’t know if he could tell but you were pretty sour for the rest of the night. I could barely get you to pay attention to the countdown. Think it was when I kissed you at midnight, you snapped outta it.”

Terry shook her head. “I know, and I know that’s unfair to Dad but you’d figure he’d at least let me meet her before he went and tied the knot. He’d be pissed at me if I did that to him.”

“You think he’s settling?”

She shrugged. “Maybe, but I’m not gonna push it. Not at Christmas anyway. If Tamerlene brings up why I never met her beforehand though then I might say something. Other than that, I’ll try to be as pleasant as possible.”

“All you have to say is you were on a month-long holiday and that’s all there is to it.”

“You’re right. Anyway, we’re about done with the gifts. When do we have to be at your Mom’s place tomorrow?”

“She wants everyone there by eleven in the morning, so we’re leaving at nine because I know traffic will be horrid.”

“Might wanna make it half past eight then. I’ll text Dad to let him know. At least we had twenty-four-hour notice for the extra people.”

“Mum would’ve been prepared either way, love.”

“I’m glad she likes me. Would’ve been pretty awkward otherwise.”

“She loves you, Terry, and she was ecstatic when I told her I was getting married to you.”

“Speaking of, we’re setting the date for this upcoming summer, right?”

“Yep. We’ll work out the details after New Year’s. Already know who my groomsmen will be.”

“The band?”

“Nailed it. Wish I could ask Seth but he’s not doing so well.”

“It’s sad to see what he’s going through. Have you sent him a card?”

“I did but it came back stamped ‘No Forwarding Address.’ Have no idea where he is.”

“We’ll find him.”

“I know but for now, let’s focus on Christmas.”

“Okay. Oh, and one other thing you may wanna tell your Mom.”

“What’s that?”

“Tamerlene and Carrie are vegetarians.”

“Yeah, mum. I know it’s short notice but I know you can figure something out. That cookbook I got you last year should have some great suggestions in it. Because you’re a brilliant cook. Call Nate’s mum if you need some help. She’s more than willing to help. Alright. Love you, too. Cheers.” Roger rubbed his eyes. “Well, she wasn’t happy about the menu addition but I know she can pull something off. They’re vegetarians, huh?”

“Yeah, and personally, I think they do it just to be a pain. To act ‘special’ and get treated differently. I could be wrong though.”

“Okay. Gifts: check. Last minute gift cards: check. Deathwish coffee for the morning drive: double-check. Goofy Christmas sweaters that Mum requested: check. Think we’re ready for tomorrow.” Roger hugged his fiancé. “And don’t worry about your step-family. I’ll be right there with you for support.”

She hugged him back. “I’m glad I have you. Don’t think I could deal with it alone.”

“You’re tough, Terry. You can get through anything. Come on. Time for sleep. We’re gonna need it.”

“Made it. Right on time too.” Roger backed his black Dodge Charger into the space facing the whitewashed-brick house. He got out and flexed his back, hearing a few pops. “Mum sure decked the place out this year.” Garland and lights ran along all portions of the sectioned roof, snowflake decals dotted every window, the hanging baskets were different coloured poinsettias, and lit statues from Santa Claus to Frosty the Snowman were spaced along the front columns. The tree was displayed in the large front window and glittered as much as the outside.

“She really did go all out this year. I’m impressed. She could decorate the Christmas markets we went to last year.”

“Don’t tell her that. She’d never come back.” The door to the house swung open and a woman in her sixties ran out to greet her son. “Oof! Jeez, Mum! You been working out again?”

“Still the flatterer, my boy?” Mrs. Waters released him then hugged Terry. “Glad to see you again, dear. He been taking care of you?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Terry, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Maureen? Ma’am makes me sound older than I am.”

“You can hardly tell, Mum. And it took us getting engaged for me to call her dad by his first name. We were raised to be polite you know.”

“Of course. Come on in and warm up. We’ll get the gifts in a few moments.” As they went to go inside, a white BMW 7 screeched tires into the spot next to Roger’s car, narrowly missing the front end. “My word!” Maureen exclaimed. “Is that…?

“That would be my step-family and my dad.” Terry mumbled to them as said family climbed out.

“Wow, Carrie. That was some fancy driving.” Terry’s father stepped out of the front passenger seat, looking a bit dizzy. “Maybe next time you should slow down a bit. This car isn’t exactly cheap.”

The brunette about Terry’s age and height waved a manicured hand. “Not to worry, James. Mum’s got three of ‘em. At least she lets me drive. Unlike Travis.”

A black-haired young man about three years older than his sister stepped out. “I can drive better than you, sis. I just choose not to.”

“Because your glued to your mobile the whole time! Heaven forbid you turn the thing off once in a while.”

“Ha!” Travis shot back as their mother got out. “You can’t get off your Twitter and other social media accounts long enough to have a conversation.” As if to prove his point, a crystal ring sounded from Carrie’s purse.

“Children, please!” Tamerlene drew their attention. “This is Christmas and we are guests at someone’s house. Therefore, you two need to behave, so turn those annoying things off, and I don’t want to see them until we go home. Is that clear?”

“Yes, mum.” They both grumbled.

“Hmm… maybe she’s not so bad after all.” Terry whispered to Roger.

“Terry! There you are!” James ran up and hugged his daughter. “How you doing, kiddo?”

“Dad, I’m twenty-five. How long are gonna keep calling me that?”

“As long as I’m around, kiddo. Roger, how are you?” James shook his hand.

“Well, James. This is my mum, Maureen Waters.”

“A pleasure, Mrs. Waters.”

“Maureen, please. I was just telling your daughter to call me that instead…”

“Hello handsome!” The exclamation caused everyone talking to stop as Carrie laid eyes on Roger. In a split second, she was in front of him, arms around his waist. “I’m Carrie but you can call me ‘yours.’

“Um… no thank you.” Roger squirmed out of her grip. “I’m engaged.”

“To who?” Terry cleared her throat. “To her!? Are you kidding me?”

“As a matter of fact, no, I’m not kidding.” He stepped over to his fiancé and held her hand. “We’re getting married in the summer.

“Not if I have anything to say about it!”

“Carrie! Excuse us.” Tamerlene grabbed her daughter’s arm and practically yanked her over to the car. Shouts and cries could be heard for about five minutes then they came back over, mother looking regal and daughter looking defeated. “Apologies. Shall we go in now?”

“Of course! Right this way.” Maureen led everyone inside, and when her stepmother passed her, she gave Terry a knowing wink.

Terry smiled. ‘Maybe I was wrong about her.’ She looked at her stepsister, who was still eyeing Roger. ‘Her, I’ll have to keep a watch on.’

Christmas went well enough, with the exception of Carrie scowling at Terry every time she thought she wasn’t looking. ‘She’s clearly used to getting her way with everything. Not this time, honey.’ The redhead thought, turning to the conversation Maureen, James, and Tamerlene were having.

“… always liked his films. Can’t decide if ‘Blazing Saddles’ or ‘Young Frankenstein’ is my favourite.” James was saying.

“I’m more interested in what Peter Jackson has done.” Tamerlene said. “What he did with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit was fantastic.”

“Agreed, but let’s not forget what George Lucas did with Star Wars.” Maureen chimed in. “Although, it’s said he wasn’t able to work on the last three films.”

“That’s what happens when you sell your company to a conglomerate, mum.” Roger said. “They do what they wanna do.” He sipped his wine.

“True enough, my boy. I better check on the roast and gravy.”

“Can I give you a hand?” Travis spoke up, earning an elbow in the ribs from his sister.

“Of course. Follow me.” Maureen lead him into the kitchen. “You can check the braised cabbage. Make sure it’s not burnt.”

“That’s a Christmas miracle.” Carrie snapped. “Travis never helps with anything, let alone cooking.”

“Maybe he’s growing up, Carrie. You should try doing the same.” Her mother retorted.

“Whatever, mum. There better be some vegetarian dishes here. I’m not eating roast.”

“Can I ask why?” Terry asked, trying to be polite but it was difficult.

“None of your business, that’s why.” James glared at her like he used to do with his daughter when she was out of line. “But if you must know, I think meat’s disgusting. I don’t see how anyone can eat it. Plus, it makes you fat.”

“Only if you eat a lot of red meat and don’t exercise. Lean meats, plus a balanced diet of fruit, vegetables, and grains can keep you healthy. Check your facts next time. You might be surprised.”

As if she wasn’t even listening, Carrie turned to her mother. “Are we still do our Christmas tradition? You know, the one we had when Dad was still around?”

‘Ouch. What a bitch.’ Terry thought, looking at her dad. He shook his head ever so slightly.

“Don’t worry, sis.” Travis said, sitting back down. “I brought the mince pies and brandy butter, so we’ll have plenty to pop after dinner.”

“Was hoping you brought actual brandy but it’ll do.”

“Speaking of spirits, anyone need a refill?” Roger reached for the wine bottle.

“I’m good. Wanna eat that roast that smells so good.” Terry sniffed the air.

“It’ll be done in about five, dear.”

“I’ll take some more, cutie.” Carrie waggled her eyebrows.

Roger set the bottle down. “You can fill your own and stop hitting on me. I told you, I’m marrying Terry. And that’s the end of it.” Before a response could be delivered, a timer went off in the kitchen. “I’ll give you a hand, mum.”

“I have to say, Maureen, well done. No way I could’ve done better.” Tamerlene ate the last bit of stuffed pasta shells on her plate and sat back with a satisfied groan. “Superb cooking, really.”

“Cheers, Tamerlene.” Maureen started to collect the dishes but Terry stopped her.

“I’ll get it. You cooked all day. The least I can do is help clean.”

“Thank you, dear.”

“Suck up.” Carrie shot. Terry paused and looked directly into her stepsister’s blue eyes but didn’t say anything. “What?”

“Nothing. You’re not even worth a retort,” and she gathered up the dishes then headed for the sink. Everyone else at the table tried to hide their snickers at the brunette’s shock.

As if to break the silence, Travis stood. “Think I’ll get the mince pies and brandy butter.” He went to the kitchen. “Hey, Terry?” She half turned. “You okay? Sorry about my sister. She’s never been the same since Dad left.”

“Doesn’t mean she has to take it out on me and try to flirt with my fiancé.” She started scrubbing.

“True but I think she’s jealous of you. She was engaged too but the guy dumped her a month before the wedding. Said he’d met someone else and ran off to Spain.” Terry stopped and listened. “What I’m saying is, give her a chance. She’ll come around. And don’t worry about Roger. She won’t touch him again. I’ll keep an eye on her.”

He smiled and she smiled back. “You know, Travis. I think you’ll make a good brother after all.” She gave him a hug. “You know, I’ve never had mince pies before.”

“Oh, you’re in for a treat. Come on. We’ll show you how we do them. And grab the coffee pot. We’ll need it.” They returned to the table, where he handed everyone a small pie then passed around the butter. “Dip your pie in the butter then when everyone’s ready, pop it in one bite then wash it down with the coffee.” Terry filled mugs for everyone then sat down. “Ready?” Everyone nodded. “Three, two, one.” They all ingested the fruit-filled treats then took a gulp of coffee.

“Whoa! Those are great. Can’t believe I’ve never done 'em before.” Roger said.

“Reminds me of the ones my grandmother made when I was still living in Manchester.” James said, taking another sip of coffee. Think we’ll keep this tradition.” He looked at his new wife.

“Here, here!” Terry said, earning a look of surprise from Carrie and a smile from Travis.

November 28, 2020 00:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Vanessa Kilmer
19:00 Dec 04, 2020

Hi Jennifer: You did a great job capturing the struggle of meshing blended families. It's not easy, especially during the holidays. I might suggest you cut out some information that isn't needed for this particular story like the unreachable / missing band mate. You did a good job making Carrie unlikable and then making her sympathetic. Well done. Vanessa Critique Circle

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.