0 comments

Crime Horror

Not A Normal Day

*This story contains deafness, kidnapping, and some sad context*

-This story is kinda a sequel to my first story Geography Watcher-

“Follow that car,” She said to the taxi driver.

I followed her into the taxi.

“Okay, where are they heading?” he asked.

“Just keep driving I can pay for anything. Just make sure you don’t stop unless I tell you, or you will regret it,” She said, patting a case of money.

“Okay, you're the boss! May I ask who the child is?” He asked

He was talking about me. I was kidnapped but obviously, the girl wasn’t going to say that. She was following her boss. The guy that told her to kidnap me. It wasn’t like any normal kidnapping where they steal you for a ransom, the boss was my biological father. He told the woman to get to know me. To become my friend. I was only nine at the time! She was my babysitter, but my adoptive parents let her go since I was old enough to take care of myself when they were on their trips. So my father told her to take me. 

“It’s my daughter,” she stated.

Technically this was true. She was my stepmother. My father had married her after all the time they had spent together. They had been married for three years. And during those three years, she had gotten pregnant. Sadly, but not sadly, she had a miscarriage. She was going to name the baby Zero after my father. Now she was pregnant again, seven months. 

“Oh! When is the baby due?” he questioned.

“October 28th! Her name is going to be Ana!” She exclaimed.

That was very big for Zero. Ana was a girl that he kidnapped when he was nineteen years old. He got in big trouble, he went to jail for four years and had to pay a fine of $10,000! Now he is thirty-eight years old.

“What’s your name, little girl?” he asked me.

“My name is crimson,” I mumbled.

“Oh, I love that name!” He said with a wide smile.

“Yes! I named her Crimson because her hair is the same color!” She said to the man.

I gave her a quick glare and she returned the glare with a smug smile. 

“So I got your daughter's name, but what is your name?” he asked.

“My name is Emma!” She said.

“Nice name, so, how much longer are we going to keep driving it’s getting pretty late!”

                                  -Ding Ding Ding-

“Oh no! I need to pull over real fast!” He said “A child is missing here in New York! Her name is Scarlet. She has curly red hair that goes down to her ankles but is normally pulled back into a braid. She was last seen at the mall with a pregnant lady that looks like she is in her late early thirties! The child looks like. She looks like-” He stopped 

“Keep driving! Again, I have all the money in this case if you keep on driving.” She explained.

“Okay, but now I have to ask, is she your daughter?” he asked his hand shaking with fear. 

“Technically, yes she is my stepdaughter,” she said.

He looked anxiously into my eyes., and the sad part about it is that he doesn’t know where were going. 

“Turn here!” Emma said waking me from my sleep. It had to be around two-thirty in the morning and the taxi driver could hardly keep his eyes open. 

“Here, call the person you love the most,” Emma said as soon as he parked in Zero’s driveway. 

Zero opened the door to his orange Lambo, I didn't realize how much I forgot how my father looked. His hair was turning peach instead of his normal fiery red hair. It was sort on the sides and a little long on the top. 

“Ah, Scarlet! My precious daughter! How much I’ve missed you!” Zero said leaning in for a hug. 

“I am not your daughter! You are not going to keep me forever! I am not going to be Ana’s sister! I am going to get out of here! Wait to see what my real parents have to say about this!” I screamed at him backing away from his hug.”

“Except I am your real parent! Your very dumb mother just couldn’t understand it! Don’t you ever wonder why your mom’s car exploded?” He questioned.

I stumbled backward. Did he rig the bomb to explode at the exact time my mother pulled into the school to pick me up? I was only seven when this happened! It was the most horrifying thing that ever happened. All the little kids walking to the pickup line, I was always the very first one to be picked up. So all of those kids got to see what happened. My mom was always ten minutes early for everything that she did. So as soon as I saw her and went running to the car, she put it into drive and the whole car exploded. Right in front of me. With Zero being a criminal and my mom being dead I had no one. I had to stay in foster care for three months before they could find a family member that was willing to take me into their house. My aunt is the best mother in the world! She wants to adopt more children too! I already had a sister, May! 

“Were you the one to set the bomb?” I asked tears welling up in my eyes.

“Of course! Who else would be so evil?” He said smiling.

Emma came back, and the man was following her, his hands tied with zip ties. 

“This guy tried to escape a pregnant lady! Isn’t that so rude?” She said clutching her stomach “Eek- baby Ana does not want to be in here!” She said gasping for breath.

I stood back, this baby was going to be three months early! This is not going to be good. 

“What do you mean baby?” Zero said looking for an answer in her eyes “That would mean that Ana would be three months early!” 

“I’m fully aware of what that means! I’m not stupid! This taxi driver is the stupid one, he whacked me in the stomach!” She said tears running down her face.

“Oh, you're going to regret that,” Zero said grabbing the man by his arm.

“No! I didn’t mean to! I just want to go home!” he cried struggling to get free “I want to see my daughter!” 

“Well, I might not have a daughter because of you! Stop struggling! Get into the cellar!” he said throwing the man into the cellar.

“Okay, can- can we go to the hospital?” Emma said crying now. 

“Yes my baby, just give me the knife!” he said looking at me.

She gave him the knife from inside his car. He walked toward me, clutching the knife. I thought he was going to kill me! He got right behind my back, and swiped through the middle of my braid! He undid the strands, letting free my curls. 

“Okay, much better, people shouldn’t recognize you now,” he said with a smug smile. 

While we were driving to the hospital, Emma’s water broke. Her breaths were shallow and I thought she was going to pass out! Finally, we arrived at the hospital, Emma looked bad now, and Zero lifted her shirt to reveal a nasty bruise the man made. I heard him curse under his breath. 

With Emma screaming in the hospital bed and Zero pacing across the room, and the fact that I was kidnapped everything started to overwhelm me and I ran out of the room. I didn’t care if Zero got mad at me, and I didn’t care what happened to baby Ana, I just wanted to go home. Go cuddle up in my mom's bed, carefully stoking her arm back and forth making her fall asleep while we watched 20/20 with subtitles on because she was deaf. Or watching soccer with my dad even though I didn’t even like soccer. Or hanging out with my sister May cuddled up on the couch together watching some funny drama show. I just wanted to be home! 

I woke up in a room with some very pretty nurses from the hospital.

“Hi, Hunny! You’re awake now! How are you feeling?” she asked me cheerfully.

“I’m good. Wait! Where’s Zero? Where’s Emma? Where’s baby Ana?” I asked completely confused tears welling up in my eyes.

“They are in the room across from us, but may I ask, why didn’t you call Zero and Emma mom and dad?” She questioned. 

I burst into tears all of my emotions overwhelming me. I couldn’t handle everything going on. I wanted to tell the nurse so badly, tell her everything that happened maybe she’d understand. On the other hand, if Zero found out, he would somehow find me and kill me.

“It’s complicated,” I said giving her a short and fast answer.

She gave me a really funny look. I looked at her badge, her name was Katie.

“Girl, I went through four years of nursing school that’s complicated!” Katie said laughing.

I told her everything from Emma picking me up to Zero chopping off my hair. She started taking notes and talked on a little radio. Suddenly there were police in the room and so was baby Ana! Baby Ana looked odd. Her legs were misshaped so I would assume that she wouldn’t be able to walk. Also when I tried to talk to her she didn’t look or anything with all the commotion going on and the screaming coming from Zero she never woke up. I asked Katie and she said that the baby was deaf! I could use my sign language skills to talk to baby Ana. If I ever saw her again.

“Where is she going to live?” I asked Katie.

“The police haven’t decided yet. Most of the family can’t or won’t accept a child,” Katie said.

“I have an idea! She could live with me and my family! My family knows sign already because my mom is deaf and my mom wants more children so this is perfect! I explained.

“Hunny, I don’t think it’s that easy!” Katie said kneeling.

“Sure it is! Please, can you please ask the police?” I pleaded.

“How ‘bout this,” Katie said ‘You go ask the police!”

“Okay!” I exclaimed.

We walked over to the police together and I told them everything that I told Katie. They told me that my mom was already driving here to pick me up, but they could not just give some random person a child. 

“Scarlet!” My mom signed running to me and pulling me into a tight hug. 

“Hi, moma! So, can you adopt a baby?” I signed with a cheezy smile.

“Are you okay? Do you have a fever?” she signed then felt my head. 

“No!” I signed laughing “I’m for real! Zero’s wife had a child and she has nowhere to go! Please!” 

She thought for a moment.

“I guess! I want a baby anyways!” she signed. 

                                 -Many Years Later-

“Come here, Ana!” I said.

Ana could hear me because of her cochlear implant. It does not cure her deafness but it somewhat helps. My mother uses hearing aids and she says that they help a lot! 

Ana can’t really want without a wheelchair but she tries to. She says that it hurts just a little, but she is a very tough girl.  

The End

January 26, 2023 04:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.