There is a Stranger in my house

Submitted into Contest #182 in response to: Start your story with a home alarm system going off.... view prompt

3 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.



It was a cold, rainy night, and Abigail was home alone. The sudden sound of the home alarm startled her in the house. She quickly rose from her bed, heart racing as she reached for her phone to call the authorities. As she made her way towards the main entrance, she heard a noise coming from downstairs and knew that it must have been an intruder. 

Abigail fumbled around for objects that could use as a weapon should anything go wrong, before slowly making her way up towards the source of the noise. Once at the top of stairs, she peered around cautiously so the Intruder wouldn’t hear footsteps her. She looked out the window to find a figure standing in the darkness, motionless. Intrigued by this mystery stranger, Abigail opened her door for what seemed like an eternity before he finally stepped into the light. It was then that she recognized him–it was Brandon, someone she had met on an online dating website, who had been making increasingly aggressive advances towards her despite her rejection of his advances. 

He almost immediately started calling Abigail “babe”, which isn’t her cup of tea, but she figured it was whatever. She deleted all his texts and her profile on Tinder. Brandon had tracked her down by looking up her address online and had impulsively surprised her.


Filled with fear, she slammed the door shut and locked it tight, but Brändön forced open the lock and burst inside. Confused and slightly scared, Abigail asked him to leave her house. He shouted and demanded to know why she wasn’t interested in him, a question she couldn’t answer. Brändön cornered Abigail, blaming her for not responding to his texts fast enough and accusing her of not taking their relationship seriously.

 Brandon threatened that if she didn’t tell him, he’d cut her throat. Abigail was terrified and tried to keep her distance, but he lunged forward with the knife. Everything changed when he grabbed her arm and shook her. She tried to pull away, which made him angrier. Brandon grabbed her by her hair and slammed her on the floor. Terrified and unable to move, she screamed for help as loud as possible.  

Brändön motioned for her to be quiet. Abigail saw her life flashes before her eyes- as his rough hands caress her thighs. She turns her head as he tries to kiss her on the lips. All she can think about are the plants that she forgot to water in the kitchen. Soon after, he ran fingers through her blonde hair. Brandon whispered in her ear and tells Abigail he loves her. She replied back, "You are crazy."

Brandon grabs the back of Abigail’s head and smashes her face-first into the wooden floor. Her nose begins to bleed, but she doesn’t give up. She turns over, reaches up, and bites his shoulder, kicking him in the face when he backs away in pain. Brandon runs towards her, and she tries to help herself up with the side table. She moves too quickly though, and the table tilts too far in her direction and lands heavily on her head, and Kevin knows that she is out cold.

Brändön whispered in her ear, “I’m gonna make you love me.” He pops the buttons off her night shirt- Suddenly, Michael had leapt into action upon hearing Abigail’s scream. He ran to her and put himself between her and the attacker, pushing him away from Abigail before restraining him - leaving them both feeling relieved but shaken up by this ordeal. 

Michael then called the police, who quickly responded and apprehended the attacker. He stayed by Abigail's side until they took her to the hospital for medical care and treatment. Abigail's parents are thankful for Michael’s bravery. They charged Brändön for trespassing, intimidation, and assault. Upon the police investigation and with the help of modern digital forensic techniques, the authorities were able to trace the IP address. Also, the officer informed her the cyber stalker contained pictures and post other personal information about her online. 

With each passing day, It felt like the intruder was watching her every move. She was scared to go out and was constantly afraid that if she opened her door, she would find someone waiting for her. A restraining order soon followed, protecting her from additional harm. Abigail also took self-defense classes. The perpetrator was brought to justice, and she was finally able to reclaim her life and her privacy. But she was deeply traumatized by the experience. She had never experienced such a level of fear, and this particular incident changed her life.


Afterwards, Abigail was terrified but thankful that they were all safe–a reminder of how important it is to be cautious when using online platforms, even if you think you know who you are speaking with. By taking that extra measure of precaution–such as meeting in public for the first time–we can help protect ourselves from the unknown.


Two weeks later, Michael seen Abigail planting flower in her mother’s garden. He finally has the courage to tell Abigail how he really feels about her. The Micheal’s confession took Abigail by surprise, but soon enough she was smiling. She explained to him that although it had taken her a while; she had realized her own feelings for him as well. The two of them began talking and spending time together, laughing and enjoying each other’s company. - before long, they were inseparable. They went out on dates and spent time with each other’s families, growing closer as every day passed by. Eventually, they even talked about their plans together, hoping one day they could marry each other and grow old together in the same small town. 


 Years later, the Michael and Abigail became husband and wife–a testament to what can happen when two people will take a chance on love. Especially if your potential soulmate is right next door. They both realized that true love will conquer all.






January 27, 2023 08:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Mike Rush
22:17 Feb 02, 2023

Jennifer, What a great read for your first submission. I just have one submission myself, so we're starting out here together. Of course, your topic is so relevant in our world, and it is also one of the most terrifying. I have absolutely no personal knowledge of what you've written here, but the action in the first bit just arrested me. It seemed totally plausible. I do have an understanding of how the brain works in extreme stress and trauma, and I thought you captured that so well with this line here: All she can think about are the pla...

Reply

Jennifer Jackson
05:15 Feb 03, 2023

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jennifer Jackson
03:17 Jan 31, 2023

This is the first time me entering a writing contest. I'm trying to come out of my shell.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.