0 comments

Fantasy Urban Fantasy Happy

The Geodians

An eleven year old girl named Fiona sat in her room in her family's house, watching Cat Videos on her computer, while Fiona's little brother Gary was out playing soccer with his friend Jim when her mother walked into her bedroom.

"Fiona, honey...Why don't you go outside and play? It's such a beautiful day!" said Fiona's mother.

"It's too bright out there!" Fiona protested.

"But sun is good for you, sweetie!" said her mother.

"I think I might have a sun allergy!" Fiona answered with a smartass smirk.

"Don't get smart with ME, young lady!" said Fiona's mother, physically dragging her stubborn daughter outside, . "Now go OUT and PLAY!" Ordered her mother.

Angry, Fiona got up and explored the forest in a huff, and discovered a Thick broken tree trunk and a thinner tree branch next to the River and toyed with the idea of paddling down the river for fun. Tempted, she jumped on and paddled the broken tree trunk downstream about 3 miles or so. When she heard a thunderclap, she paddled toward the shore and got to dry land, looking for shelter from the incoming storm.

She ran away from the Riverbank and the Trees when Fiona found the mouth of a cave. It was at that point that the rain first came down. Without thinking twice, Fiona ran into the cave, a lightning bolt striking and breaking a tree right behind her once she made it inside the cave.

Once she was out of the rain, she pulled her purse out of her purse to text her mom.

"Waiting the storm out in a cave. I'll come home when it stops storming. Luv U. Fiona."

While she was waiting for her mother to text her back, Fiona walked down into the cave out of sheer curiousity.

When Fiona walked down to the end, there was a single, slightly smaller than average Cavern, complete with Stalagmites, Stalagtites, columns and arches, boulders, and a crystal clear waterfall leading into a pool, with a dark shadow behind the waterfall, suggesting there might be something behind it.

At that point, Fiona's mom finally texted her back "O.K. Might be another hour or so before the storm lets up. Luv U. Mom."

Something she couldn't quite explain herself made Fiona dash across the waterfall stream. Fiona saw a short corridor with a door made enitrely of carved stone at the end. Fiona pushed the door open, and inside, there was a large, vast stone "City" with carved out buildings, a waterfall feeding into a pool, a large hole in the cieling of the massive cave through with natural light could illuminate the city, mushrooms, lichen, and giant Crystals of every shape and color could be found inside.

Overtaken by fascination and curiosity, Fiona walked into the "City" and looked at the houses and buildings etched into stone and Crystals that dotted the cave. It was then that little Rock Creatures came out of their houses to investigate this new visitor!

"Oh, look, everybody! It's a Visitor!" said one of the Rock creatures.

"We haven't had one of those in ages!" said another one of the Rock Creatures.

An Old Rock Creature walked up to Fiona on a cane. "Welcome to the City of Rubble, young lady! My name is Slate, I'm the elder of the Geodians and mayor of Rubble! You are the first to visit us Geodians in over 200 years!" said the elderly Rock Creature.

"Oh, hello there...I'm...I'm Fiona..." Fiona said, not quite understanding just what was happening here.

"We should celebrate this wonderful, momentous, special occasion with a feast!" A Female Geodian suggested.

The Geodians cheered in agreement.

"Uh, ok...." Fiona said.

"Please, stay and feast with us, our esteemed guest of honor!" said a young male Geodian.

"...Well, I AM kind of hungry." Fiona said.

The Geodians prepared a feast for their most esteemed first visitor in over 200 years, fish, bread, berries, mushrooms and poultry were all prepared for the whole city to enjoy. 

A male Geodian with red Crystals on his head and back sitting to Fiona's left offered her his hand.

"My name is Jasper! Nice to meet you, Fiona!" said the Geodian.

"Nice to meet you, too." Fiona said, shaking his hand.

A female Geodian siting to Fiona's right with opaque rock formations offered Fiona her hand.

"My name is Opal. Nice to meet you, Fiona!" said the female Geodian.

"Nice to meet you too, Opal!" Fiona said.

Fiona had a piece of Bread, some herbed, grilled fish with Roasted Mushroom, and tea. She had just finished her meal when the rain and lighting stopped.

Fiona got a text from her mom "Storm is over. Come home, please. Love U. Mom."

Fiona stood up and said "Everyone, I enjoyed this, but I have to go home to my family."

The Geodians moaned in disappointment.

There was an awkward pause from Fiona, followed by "But I could come to visit again tomorrow!"

"You will always be welcome to visit us any time, child!" Slate said reassuringly.

Fiona nodded, then texted her mother "On my way home."

When she left the cave, Fiona's eyes needed a moment or two to adjust to the light. Fiona's mom then texted back "OK. See you soon!" It was a fairly short walk, but she walked home within a few minutes.

Fiona's mother was startled by a knock on the door, she turned to see her daughter walking in through the front door.

"Oh, Fiona, welcome home! Did you have a nice time playing." said her mother.

"Hi, Mom! I made it home...and yes, I had an ok time!" she said.

"Good, honey! I'm just preparing dinner! It should be ready in about forty-five minutes or so!" said her mother.

Fiona groaned and slumped face-first on the living room couch.

The End.

Author's notes: I borrowed partial inspiration for the City of Rubble and the Geodians from both 'the Smurfs' and 'Fraggle Rock'...because I'm LAME.

May 06, 2021 01:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.