0 comments

General

I never thought that my sister and I will be as close as we are now. Sure we still bicker with each other, but she's the closest thing to a best friend I will ever have. I guess you have to say everything started back in September the 9th 1988. My mother just given birth to me, a almost healthy baby boy beside the fact my umbilical cord was wrap around my neck when I was born. My father holding my five year old sister was looking through the glass into the nursery room. In that week only four babies was born, and I was the only male that was in that nursery room. When they finally brought me to my mother room, My sister looked at me. "I don't like it, send it back." My sister told my mother. My mother just smile and she look at my sister. "I'm sorry Nicole, but I can't send him back, he is your baby brother after all, and he's not an it. His name is Alex." The mother said to her. Nicole just sit in a chair and pout. Throughout the years my sister and I would fight with each other, but it was also through out these same years that it became clear that I have a speech impediment. So five year old me was made fun by other kids and the adults brainwash me into thinking I was mentally challenge. It seem like the gap between my sister and I was getting wider and wider. Unlike my sister, I wasn't so outgoing, I rarely speak because of my speech impediment. When it was time for me to go to school we rode the same bus despite being in different schools. I had to deal with bullies on my own while at school, but on the bus it was different, without me knowing until later on she kept the other kids from picking on me. We slowly begin to understand each other if only by a little. When i became a teenager, I was happy unlike most teenager, because the only people understood me was my mother,grandmother and aunt. Before my sister and I gotten along, I could told those three women anything and everything. Then my grandmother passed away and it seem like my whole world was slowly starting to crumble apart. My sister was more focus on boys as most girls her age was. One day she came to me and told me she was pregnant, and I was the first one she told and asked me not to tell our parents. This was the first time anybody trusted me with a secret and so I kept it. When my parents found out they was mad at me, my mother was more mad then my father, because I kept it from them. being the smart mouth that I was, I look at them and said "I wasn't the first to know, God was the first, Nicole was the second, I was the third, Adam her boyfriend was the fourth and you was the fifth. So it shouldn't be me you should be fussing at. It should be God, because he knew." My sister couldn't help but to smile at my respond, and my dad wanted to smile but didn't show it in front of my mom. My mom however did fuss me out, but couldn't do much about my responds because it was a good one, and even she admitted that. My sister and I bond over that, we even still talk about it even now. My sister and I found out that we have so much in common and like the same thing it wasn't even funny. We begin to slowly started to understand each other even more, that we don't let anybody said anything bad about each other. Then the unthinkable happen my mother gotten sick and passed away, it felt like someone just tore my heart out and destroy my whole world. I was close to my mother. My sister and I become close because of our lost, and it wasn't too long my aunt passed away, and it felt like loosing a second mother. I slowly became a shut in, not only at home, but also inside myself I built a wall around myself. The only people I allow to enter is my father and my sister. Then one day my sister became my best friend. When I became sick and was put into the hospital she was up there staying with me when my father couldn't stay there. She was the first one I went to when I got into trouble and she help me out of it. She was there when my ex-girlfriend decided I was way too nice and broken up with me. Never had I ever imagine as a child that one day the two children who was literally at each other throats became best friends. We take care of each other despite that sometimes we get on each other nerves. I help her take care of her children when her and her husband was struggling for a bit. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world, because I wouldn't know what to do with myself if she was gone. My sister try her best to help me when she can, but she know when it's the right time to let me figure things out. Sometimes there nothing better then having a sister to be your best friend, but I don't think I have to tell you that dear cousin. You have four of them, but we're doing well and I hope that you are also doing well. Forever your loving cousin, Alex. Violet look over at her sisters pictures on the wall and smiles and nodded. She folded up the letter and place it back in it envelope, She then place on the table next to her chair. "Yeah, nothing better then having your sisters as your best friend sometimes." She said to herself, and she got up to walk over to her writing desk, and she pull out a sheet of paper and begin to write, "Dear Alex". and she sit there long and thought about what she's going to write on that paper.

September 29, 2019 01:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.