4 comments

Kids Coming of Age

“My dad said that Blue is going to cross the rainbow bridge tomorrow. They’re taking him to the vet for the procedure. ” Jack heard his dad say.

Jack knew that when his Dad talked about his dad, he meant Grandpa. Grandpa was his dad’s dad. Blue was Grandpa’s dog. He wondered why his Dad was talking to his mom about Blue. And what was the Rainbow Bridge? Was the bridge at the vet’s office?


“Oh no,” his mom sighed. “That’s so hard. So very sad. How are we going to tell Jack?”


Jack's face grew warm as he heard his name. He didn’t want his parents to know that he was standing outside their closed bedroom door, his ear to the door crack, straining to hear their conversation. He knew he would probably get in trouble if they knew he was out of bed, when he was supposed to be sleeping. It was a school night, after all, and he was supposed to be in bed by eight o’clock. He also knew that they probably wouldn’t like him spying on them, listening to their grownup talk. Still, it made him feel slightly better to know they were thinking and worrying about him.


But again why were they talking about Blue and some rainbow bridge? What did all that mean? What did they need to tell him?


“I don’t know,” his dad said. “I really don’t know.”


Jack thought his Dad’s voice sounded sad, almost like he was about to cry. 


“Do you think we should let Jack say goodbye to Blue before he passes?” His mom asked. 


Passes what? Jack thought. And why did he need to say goodbye? Where was Blue going? What was the rainbow bridge? Why did Blue have to cross it? Would Blue cross the rainbow bridge and then come back? Or was he leaving for good, never to return?


Jack thought Blue was the best dog in the world. A mixed breed, half spaniel and half golden lab, Blue was very friendly, always giving Jack kisses and begging to be petted. He always jumped up on Jack’s lap when he watched TV. Although Blue was technically Jack’s grandparents’ dog, he spent a lot of time at Jack’s house. Grandma and Grandpa liked to travel a lot. Jack’s dad called them “snow birds.” Jack knew that meant that, like real birds, they traveled south for the winter. They didn’t fly, however, they got there on wheels, pulling a large pop-up camper with Grandpa’s truck, all the way to Florida. Jack knew they liked spending time on the beach. When they did their snowbird thing and went down south for a few months, Blue got to stay at Jack’s house. 


For that reason, winter was Jack’s favorite time of year. He loved having Blue over. His mom and dad even let Blue sleep with him. Jack loved snuggling with Blue in bed. Sometimes, Blue even burrowed under the covers, crawling so far under the blankets that you couldn’t even see his furry face. That always made Jack laugh. Jack’s mom never had to nag Jack to go to sleep when Blue was over. He couldn’t wait to go to bed to see what silly thing Blue would do next.


The other fun thing about Blue was that he liked to play. He had a bunch of toys in a wicker basket on the floor at Jack’s house. Blue would fetch a ball or a stick, play tug of war with his rope, and chew on his squeaky toys. The hard rubber ones were the best ones for him. The soft plush ones Blue always chewed up, and the stuffing went flying everywhere. Jack’s mom didn’t like that. She sometimes got cross when Blue made a mess with his toys. When that happened, she would scold Blue in a loud voice. Jack always felt sorry for Blue since he looked so sad when he got into trouble. Blue wagged his tail in a guilty way when someone yelled at him. It was not a happy wag, but instead the wag said “I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.” Jack was good at knowing what Blue was saying with either his bark, his eyes, or his tail. Jack could read Blue’s every mood.


No one could stay mad at Blue for long. The dog was just pure love. All he wanted to do was to be around his people. He was equally at home at both Jack’s and his grandparents’ house. So why were his people letting him go away and cross over some stupid rainbow bridge? Jack didn’t understand.


He also knew he couldn’t ask his parents, because then they would know he was spying on them and he might get in trouble himself. He did need to ask someone, however, what was going on. He really needed to know. He wouldn’t rest until he found the answer.


Jack quietly tiptoed back to his room, being careful to avoid the squeaky place on the hallway floor. When he got to his bedroom door, he very gently pushed it open, holding his breath and praying that the door wouldn’t make any noise. He shuffled over to bed and climbed under the covers, still thinking and worrying about Blue. What should he do? Who could he ask about Blue and the rainbow bridge?


Suddenly, an idea came to him. He couldn’t ask anyone in his family because then they would know he had been eavesdropping on their private, grownup conversation. He could ask his teacher, Mrs. Martin, though. She was very smart. Teachers knew everything. She would surely know about the rainbow bridge. 


Having a plan made Jack feel better. He rolled over and pulled the covers up tightly. He soon drifted off to sleep. As he was falling asleep, his parents continued to discuss the situation with Blue.


“I really don’t know what the answer is.” Jack’s dad said. “It’s too late now anyways. It’s scheduled for first thing in the morning. I’m afraid we’re just going to have to tell Jack after the fact. We’ll break it to him gently. You know how much he loves that dog. It’s really going to hurt him. All we can do is love him through it.”


“Yes,” Jack’s mom said, her voice sorrowful. “I feel so bad for him. I hope he will be okay with it. I wonder how we should tell him, if there’s a proper way to say this sort of thing to a child. To cushion the blow. Maybe I can look it up on the Internet or get a book at the library for some advice.”


Jack’s mom was very big on researching things and finding out the best way of doing anything and everything. She thought the Internet would probably be the best place to find her answers. There were a number of parenting websites that offered excellent advice and tips on a multitude of subjects related to parenting. She always found such websites helpful. Parenting was not easy and definitely not for cowards, she felt. The more parents could help each other, the better.


“Sounds like a plan,” Jack’s dad said gently. “Say a prayer for Blue and for Jack. May Blue rest in peace in doggy heaven.”


“Amen,” his wife said.

The next morning at breakfast, both Jack and his parents were unusually quiet. The parents were pondering their dilemma about Jack and his beloved Blue, while Jack was thinking about how he was going to approach his teacher to ask her about the rainbow bridge.


“Are you feeling okay this morning Jack?” His mother asked worriedly. She noticed dark circles under Jack’s eyes. “You look a little tired.”


“Yes, mom. I’m fine,” Jack said, blowing out a sigh. “Can I be excused now? I need to find my backpack and get to the bus stop.”


“Yes, honey.” Now Jack’s mom was more worried than ever. Usually, she had to poke and prod her son to get him moving. Jack was never that eager to begin his school day. 


“I hope you have a good day. I love you,” she said, giving him a kiss on the cheek.


“Gross mom,” Jack said, wiping the kiss off.


Jack’s mom tried not to let it bother her that Jack was at the age where he no longer wanted kisses from his mommy.


Jake ran out the door, his Spiderman backpack slipping off his shoulders. He impatiently hoisted it back up and hurried to the corner, joining his already waiting friends. His mother sipped her morning coffee and watched him out the window. A few moments later, Jack climbed on the bus.


Although it was a day just like any other, Jack couldn’t stop thinking about Blue and the rainbow bridge. He thought about Blue all through math class, art, recess, English, and even lunch. Finally, the school bell rang at the end of Social Studies, signaling an end to the school day. The other third graders rushed out the door. Jack lingered behind, slowly gathering up his papers, pencils, and books. 


“Mrs. Martin?” he said to the teacher seated at her desk.


“Yes Jack? What is it?” The teacher asked, her voice full of concern. Jack was normally very quiet. He wasn’t one to approach her for any reason.


“Can I ask you a question?” Jack’s voice was small. He suddenly felt shy. His face reddened.


“Of course.” Mrs. Martin said.


“Are rainbows real?”


Jack thought maybe they were made up. Grownups were always making things up – like the Easter bunny or Santa Claus. They thought kids were too stupid to figure out what was real and what wasn’t. Maybe the rainbow bridge was made up too and it really meant something else, maybe it was a code phrase for something. He had never seen an actual rainbow. He had only seen pictures of them in a book. That had to mean something. Maybe they were just imaginary.


“Yes, rainbows are real,” Mrs. Martin replied. She sensed a teaching opportunity in Jack’s question and continued speaking. “Rainbows are formed when light from the sun is scattered by water droplets through a process called refraction. The water droplets break the sun into the seven colors of the spectrum – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Does that make sense?”


“I guess,” Jack said slowly. It really didn’t help him much, however. How could a bridge form from a rainbow caused by sunlight and water?


“Do you know how to remember all the colors in the rainbow?” Mrs. Martin asked.


“No,” Jack said, intrigued. “How?”


“I use an acronym. The letters spell out a name – Roy G. Biv. Get it? Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. Roy G. Biv.”


“Oh, I get it.” Jack said. “Wait a minute,” he asked excitedly, “You said blue?”


“Yes, there’s blue in the rainbow.”


Blue in the rainbow. Jack thought to himself. Maybe that was it. Maybe since Blue was named Blue, he needed to be part of the rainbow. Maybe it was a special doggy rainbow and it needed all the colors. Blue wasn’t actually colored blue. That would be silly. Nonetheless, Blue was his name and that had to count for something. Suddenly it was perfectly clear to him.


“Are you good now?” Mrs. Martin asked, seeing the dawning comprehension on his face. “Do you understand all about rainbows now?”


“Yes, thank you,” Jack said.


“You should hurry home. It looks like it might rain, even though the sun is still shining a little. Dark clouds seem to be forming. You might even get to see a rainbow later this afternoon.”


“Cool,” Jack said. “Thanks again.”

He couldn’t wait to get outside and look for the rainbow. Maybe he would see Blue walking across it, he thought excitedly. 


By the time he got home, the sky was even darker. Oddly enough, however, every now and then the sun would peek out from behind the clouds like it was playing hide and seek. Jack found himself rooting for the sun and the clouds at the same time. Both the sun and the rain needed to be there at the same time for the rainbow to form, Mrs. Martin had said. Come on sun. Come on rain, he thought.


He hurried into the house, throwing his backpack on the kitchen table. He quickly used the bathroom, grabbed a juice box from the refrigerator, and was soon out the door again, running towards the backyard. 


“Mom, I’m playing outside in the yard,” he yelled on his way out.


“Ok,” she said distractedly as she changed Jack’s little sister’s diaper. “Don’t go outside of the yard though and come in if it starts to rain.”


“Ok, mom,” he promised.


He looked up at the sky. Again, the sun was just peering out from behind the cloud. The cloud looked black and menacing, a real thundercloud, although Jack had yet to hear any booms. He held his breath and crossed his fingers, willing raindrops to fall. If he were a Native American, he would do a rain dance, he thought. Maybe instead, he should close his eyes and pray. Dear God, please make it rain


Suddenly, he felt a rain drop splash his cheek. He did it, he thought excitedly! Whatever he said to God had worked! God was making it rain!


Now he just needed the sun to come out from behind the cloud too to make the rainbow! Please God, can I see the sun too? Jack prayed fervently, eyes squeezed shut tightly and hands clasped firmly together. A few moments passed.


Suddenly, Jack found to his surprise that the sun had moved out from behind the dark cloud and was now shining brightly in the sky. Surely this meant a rainbow was on its way, he thought excitedly!


Although he was ecstatic to see the sun, he also found it very strange because raindrops were now falling in earnest. His sweatshirt was rapidly becoming soaked. He just hoped his mother didn’t realize it was raining and make him come inside. Just a few minutes more and maybe the rainbow would appear and he would finally see Blue!


Something inside of him was telling him that he needed to see Blue right now. It couldn't wait. It was crucial. He really didn’t understand what was going on, but he somehow knew that Blue was in danger and the rainbow was the key to everything. No rainbow meant no Blue. Without the rainbow, Blue might be gone forever, although he was not really sure why. 


“Jack?” His mother suddenly yelled out the back door. “It looks like it’s raining. Come inside before you get all wet!”


“No mom! I need to stay out here a few more minutes,” Jack yelled back.


“Why? What are you doing?” His mother asked confusedly. It looked to her like Jack was just standing there glancing up at the sky.


“I can’t tell you, but it’s very important,” Jack said, his voice breaking.


Suddenly, he couldn’t hold it in any longer. He had been trying so hard all day to get answers and then wishing and praying with everything he had. All he could picture now was Blue’s face, his warm, brown trusting eyes looking up at Jack. He imagined the feel of Blue’s furry body snuggled up next to him in his bed, or sitting on his lap on the gray couch in the living room.


“What’s the matter honey?” his mother asked worriedly. “Are you all right?”


At the sound of his mother’s concerned voice, the dam finally burst.


“No,” he sobbed. “It’s the rainbow I need. And Blue. I’m waiting for the rainbow to come. The sun is shining and it’s raining finally. It’s bound to happen soon.”


“Rainbow and Blue? What’s this all about?” his mom asked perplexed. She really didn’t know what he was talking about. She didn’t understand the connection.


Jack started sobbing. He was too upset to pretend anymore. He knew he had to come clean at last. Maybe his mother would make it all better. Mothers had a way of doing that sometimes.


He continued speaking, his voice laced with tears. “I heard Dad last night. He said Blue was crossing the Rainbow Bridge today. I’m looking for the rainbow and the bridge. I want to see Blue!” Now he was sobbing uncontrollably, his whole body shaking. 


“Oh Jack honey,” his mom said. She ran outside and enfolded him in her arms. They both were getting very wet, but at the moment that didn’t seem to matter. 


“Come inside,” she said at last in her softest voice. “Let’s get you dried off and then I’ll make you some hot chocolate with marshmallows in it. Then there’s something Mom needs to tell you. It’s about Blue,” she said gently.


Jack looked up one last time at the sky. The sun was no longer in sight. 


“Blue’s not coming back, is he? Ever!” He said in despair. “There's no rainbow!”


May 17, 2024 21:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Alexis Araneta
17:38 May 18, 2024

This made me cry, Kim ! This was such a poignant way to describe loss and how pets are family. Lovely work !

Reply

Kim Olson
12:45 May 19, 2024

Thank you. Pets are indeed family!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
09:53 May 18, 2024

Kim, your story beautifully captures the innocence of a child’s perspective and the tragic reality of loss. It’s a touching reminder of the bond between pets and their families. Well done!

Reply

Kim Olson
12:47 May 19, 2024

Thank you. Your comment made me realize I should also add "coming of age" as a genre. The main character is learning a very painful lesson.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.