Nika's Bravery

Submitted into Contest #135 in response to: Set your story in a town full of cowards.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

I never expected this to happen. I never intended for this to happen. I did what any normal person would do.

But yet it is happening, the whole town is here. I don't want the recognition nor do I need it.

I'm a simple person who did something others would do. But nobody did anything.

I was there and saw what happened. Yet others were there as well and did nothing to help.

I did something. I saved a life no one wanted to help and now they want to honor me for doing something they didn't have the guts to do.

There were so many people out there that day. The people saw a man in trouble, they saw his wife begging for help. What did they do? instead of helping the poor man, they ignored him and his wife. They saw him choking to death, possibly having a heart attack.

Do you think they stopped? No. They jumped over him and kept on walking.

It's like they were afraid to get near him. They were all cowards. That's the town I live in.

Now these cowards want to honor me, for what. I begged someone to do something, anything. But they walked pass him, some even ran.

I never liked this town. I don't why I stayed. All these people do is suck the life out of you and take credit for things they don't even do.

Today, that is exactly what is happening. I do have a plan. Even though I don't want to be anywhere near these cowards. I'm going to go to the ceremony and tell them what I think of them.

I already know what I'm going to say. It's not going to be pretty. But it is going to be the truth.

Now you are probably wondering what I did and what these cowards didn't do. So here it is.

Last week, the weather was nice and warm. The sun was out, the skies were clear. Perfect weather to go to the beach.

That's where everybody at Harbor Point was, including me.

I love the beach. Harbor Point has the best beaches. Anyways the beach was crowded, families came with their kids to enjoy the nice day.

I usually go alone to the beach to read and draw. The beach is my comfort place. But last week the beach was crowded and loud.

There was no place for me to sit. So, I went and sat on the boardwalk.

I watched as literally the whole town came to the beach. Two elderly residents also came to the beach.

They didn't go to the beach area, they sat at one of the tables. The elderly man pulled out the chair for his wife. It was so sweet.

I watched as the elderly woman smiled. The elderly man sat next to his wife and hugged her. I couldn't believe my eyes. Two people in love after so many years.

A few moments later the man gets up to order food. The woman watches as her husband walks away.

I smile at the way she looks at him. The man comes back with the food. They begin to eat.

I don't want to look like a creep, so I stop staring at them. I go back to what I was doing.

I was in the middle of my book when I heard an ear piercing scream. I looked up and saw the elderly woman panicking.

Her husband was on the floor, his hands were touching his throat. His wife tries to help him. But she couldn't help him. She screamed for help. No one came to help. The people are running from her.

They took one look at him and ran. His wife grabbed on to a woman, she pushes her down and hits her head on the ground crying.

These people are cowards. They watched as the man is slowly dying and his wife helpless.

I decided I had to do something. I push these cowards out of my way and went to help.

I went directly to the elderly man. I put my hands around his stomach and did the Heimlich maneuver.

I prayed it worked because when I got to him his face was red, his pulse was erratic. I kept on doing the Heimlich maneuver time and time again.

I didn't give up until I got whatever was caught in his throat out. I didn't stop for the sake of his wife.

After a few more tries, a piece of chicken came out. But trouble wasn't done. The elderly man passed out.

I felt his pulse, it was still erratic. So, I did CPR. His wife was watching hoping and praying the man she loves comes back to her.

A few more tries later and the man begins to breath. I check his pulse, its back to normal.

I help the man up and back to his seat. His wife begins to cry. She tries to thank me. I tell her no need. She hugs her husband. I walk away.

I grab my stuff and head home wondering why these people are such cowards.

Now back to the present where I watch these cowards of a town plaster on a smile thinking they did something great.

The truth and I saw it with my own eyes, they did nothing. They let a man almost choke to death and watched as his wife begged for help.

I can't believe they are here. But what I also can't believe is I'm getting an award for saving a life.

Yes, I did a brave thing, these cowards could or rather should have done what I did and helped save his life instead of running away.

The ceremony is beginning. The mayor, one of the cowards who didn't help is making a speech.

He talks about how brave I was saving Mr. Reynolds life. I finally know his name. How we are all grateful I was there that day.

The mayor keeps on talking by saying how we all could have done what Nika did.

I had enough of what the mayor was saying. I get up from my seat and walk to the mayor.

I tell the mayor the truth. I tell my coward of a town the truth. I tell them they were all there at the beach watching as a man choke to death. His wife begging for help. But nobody helped her.

I point to the mayor and I tell the mayor he was there too and did nothing. I point to the crowd and tell them they ran away when elderly woman begged for help. You looked and did nothing.

I took the award and gave it back to the mayor and told him no thanks I don't need anything from him.

I walked off the stage and back to my simple life.A few days later after my tirade in front of the whole town I went back to the beach, to the very place where I saved Mr. Reynolds life.

I sit at the chair imaging that day. The picture of Mr. Reynolds choking will linger in my mind for the rest of my life.

The heartbreaking scene of Mrs. Reynolds begging for help was soul shattering and that will always break my heart.

But I find comfort knowing Mr. Reynolds is alive and him and Mrs. Reynolds can continue with their lives and be together always.

Harbor point is a small town where everybody knows everybody. We help each other out.

But what I saw at the beach will forever change how I view humanity.

I live in a town full of cowards who only think of themselves.

March 02, 2022 22:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.