0 comments

American Fiction Romance

“Everything, every small thing has to be perfect!” yelled Celina at the maids. Celina was an event organiser and had gotten a really big contract. She was worried but what troubled her even more was the glimpses of the past events in her life. “Nothing can go wrong in this event. Mr. Danes has put a lots of money and trust in this event.” Celina told her assistant. Liza, her assistant replied, “Don’t worry ma’am. Everything is gonna as per mr. danes’ and your requests. I promise.” It was 3 in the morning, but Celina was still working on this event, in her apartment. “You should sleep now, you have worked yourself out completely.” claimed Dave, Celina’s brother. Everyone in her family was worried about her and so was celina, but a previous event in her life caused her to change her life like this. She was pressured by every small thing in her life; her career, her diet, her social life and so much more! When she went to sleep she had a flashback- It was a sunny day, and Celina was on her way to work. She was very happy because she just got promoted to the head of the biggest event planning group in her company. She was to start planning her first event as a head today. “Okay, team! We have got a lot of hard work ahead of us and I believe all of us will put in the same amount of time and energy into this,” said Celina, cheerfully. 

A few days after the planning, when Mr. Jeffords, the host of the party comes in and yells at Celina-” What the hell Celina! Nothing in here looks as I wanted it to!” “But I did everything! I just made a few improvisations which I thought might make your party better.” “this is a party in my success of becoming a boss and you ruined it completely!” “Sir, I am really sorry if I got distracted-” “Distracted? Young lady you have blown off a turning point in my life, i had called 500 people to this party and paid a pretty good amount. Much more than anyone who would pay to this stupid, inefficient company!” “Excuse me! You can say anything to me but not to this company. This company has made people’s lives and you don't know a  thing about it and honestly, the theme of your party was anyways immature. I just wanted to make it look better so that your reputation would have been intact but you are blaming me? Tell me for once, if this isn’t much more than what you thought!” “I have heard from you, you imbecile. You don't know me, I am very rich and will get you fired from this doomed-to-drown company!” “fine! Try it because when I tell my boss the whole story, he is gonna believe me and have my back.” 

After this horrifying argument, Celina was a little scared but she had faith in her company and trusted her boss. But the tables turned- “You are fired Ms. Diaz.” and she woke up. Celina hadn’t slept since then. Every time she used to see the flashback in her sleep, it would horrify her and make her realize what a loser she is. She remembered how she had to struggle for months and give 25-30 interviews in a day to get a job. Today, when she finally had one, she was still scared that she might screw up again and would have to face the past all over again. She got ready and went to her office to complete the work on her ongoing project. “Ms. Diaz” announced Jake, the host of the party. “Yes?” replied Celina. “You have done a great job for this event and I really admire your creative improvisations.” “Thank you Mr. Linetti” “Please, it's just Jake.” “Okay, so anything else you wanted me to add to the organization?” “No no, actually I came here to extend an invite to you to the party.” “Oh I-” “You have done great work here and I believe that even you should enjoy it. Please I really want you to come tonight.” “okay. I have some work to finish but ill come after that.” “Thank you so much.” This conversation gave some happiness to Celina but the tension of everything flawlessly outweighed her happiness. 

It was 8 o’clock when Celina remembered about the party. “Oh my god! I am already an hour late to the party I should go home and get ready asap,” said Celina. When she reached, everyone in the party was talking and then all of a sudden, Jake noticed Celina and he was mesmerized. Celina was wearing a royal blue short dress with balloon sleeves accompanied by a silver bracelet and necklace. Her hair was in mild curls which helped her eyes stand out. She was wearing black wrap-around heels. Moreover, her smile just finished her look like a tiara on a princess’ head. Jake had never seen someone so beautiful. “Hello, Jake” greeted Celina. “Hello, you look beautiful!” Replied Jake. “Thank you I hope everything at this party is what you wanted it to be.” “It sure is and even much more. Everything is just perfect.” “Nothing can be perfect” mumbled Celina. “What? I couldn't hear you” said Jake. “Oh no nothing I was just talking to myself.” Celina went around and took rounds and checked everything herself and made sure that nothing was going wrong. She was worried so she called her assistant and rechecked every single detail for example there shouldn’t be any stains anywhere. She even went up to the stage and lectured the performers to be perfect. Jake called her “Hey everything alright?” “Oh yeah just checking everything.” “I guess you are doing that for the 52nd time now.” “What? No! ” “I have kept count” said jake while chuckling softly. Celina came down and then they went to watch the performances. When Celina was looking at people perform, Jake was gazing at her with full of pure love. “Smash!‘ a glass shattered 

 Celina got worked up. She went to the waiter and yelled at him like he had did a huge mistake. “Where is your focus huh? Cant you handle these glasses carefully? Anyone could have been hurt in this rrom including you! Do you find this to be a joke.” Celina couldnt stop. “Celina it’s okay it was just a glass, calm down nothing else is wrong, no one is hurt see.” Jake stepped in and tried to calm her. “I need some fresh air” said Celina and she ran off outside. Jake followed her. There she was sobbing. “Hey! Hey! What happened you seem disturbed is everything alright?” “No it’s not” replied Celian while sobbing “the history is repeating itself the exact same thing is happening what happened 5 years ago…”  and then Celina told everything to Jake and how she was demeaned by others which led to a significant increase in her stress and anxiety level and she said that “there is no one kind enough in this world who  will let me accept my past and help me overcome it. Im not worthy of love or happiness. I know it! That is my destiny. Everything will again fall apart just how it did 5 years ago.” she continued sobbing.  

Jake came near her and kissed her forehead and then hugged her and said “You are worthy of love. Your hardwork and you are worth every single piece of love in this entire world. You should not let people’s opinion’s affect your life. Celina you are beautiful inside out and you give your best in every field of life. In these past few months when you were organising this out of the box amazing party, I was noticing you and the way you looked over every detail for a thousand times. I knew there was something wrong but I wanted you to come and tell me.” Jake made her sit down and continued “listen, people make mistakes in their lives but it doesnt mean that the gear of their life has to be stuck on that mistake forever. You did a mistake or probably that host did but it affected your whole life! It might have become habitual for you to go over the smallest details but it is making your brain hollow. I am not saying that turn your lifestyle all over again but atleast try to not focuson details for one day and see the happiness it would bring you.” celina understood and stopped crying and said “Yes you are right I am messing with my own life. Thank you so much jake this was really helpful.”Celina hugged Jake and then turned to go inside. Jake held her hand from behind and pulled her closer and whispered “You are worthy of love remember that because I love you.”

That day Celina understood that holding on every detail of our memories will only harm us and that it is okay to accept our mistakes, let go of it and move on.

November 05, 2022 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.