4 comments

Fiction Suspense Mystery

“He keeps gesturing at her, my lady” 

“As if, his loud whispering is not enough. Is she responding in any way?” 

“She is ignoring him. He will become desperate again”

“What do you think he will do, Charlotte?” 

“He might make a scene, my lady”

“Your voice is unsure, Charlotte. What do you really think he will do?”

“He will become drunk, then he will start blabbering nonsense, and finally he will get into a fight. Yet again”

“Let it out all out Charlotte. Steady your breath. You know how much I value your insight. Describe the atmosphere again”

“The great hall as of this moment is full. Noble ladies and lords, princesses and princes are just some of the guests tonight. Mostly everyone is dressed appropriately–”

“Mostly everyone, or mostly those you are not fond of, Charlotte?”

“My lady, I–” 

“I know you want to stand up for yourself, but once you do it in rush and with emotions engaged, you will only bury yourself deeper. I cannot hear you breathing, Charlotte… There you go, a deep breath in and out. Now, continue”

“Everyone is appropriately dressed… My lady…?”

“Do not mind me laughing, please continue. Do tell me how my guests are dressed and do not leave out their colors”

“Nobles are wearing the colors of their families, and the people of the military… well, their uniforms. Lady Ko–”

“Tell me of Lord Štitar, what does he look like?”

“Lord Štitar…”

“Is he not here Charlotte? Do have a better look”

“He is wearing a dark blue coat, with a cape of the same color”

“That cannot be him! That is… ah! What is his name?! The uhmm… Lord Sotonić, he is the captain of our navy. Tell me… without looking at the people in the hall, what does Lord Štitar look like? What are the colors of his family?”

“... I do not know, my lady” 

“You have to attend those classes Charlotte. You have to be better at recognizing the colors of each family, even better than me. You are my eyes Charlotte”

“Forgive me, my lady. I will work on it”

“Lord Štitar is a simple man, at least when it comes to his attire. He always wears a black coat, with a dark green pin of their weapon…”

“The Schiavonesca of the Štitar family! I know. There, I see him! Exactly as you described him”

“Hah! Why am I not surprised!”

“A black coat, with a dark green pin of the Štitar Schiavonesca. Tall, with a short white beard” 

“The color of his beard is the only thing that has changed. Is he talking to anyone?”

“To uhm… some ladies”

“He was never a womanizer. What colors are they wearing, Charlotte?”

“Black and green”

“Those are his daughters, then. He might have introduced them to me when they were little, but what do they look like now?”

“They are beautiful. Almost identical. Long, black, and straight hair. One is laughing at something… He seems to be talking to the two of them… as if he is telling a tale. The other is smiling, and nodding politely. She obviously does not find it as funny”

“These descriptions would not be interesting without your commentary. What else do you see?”

“Lord Štitar is aware that I am looking at him. He is still talking to them, but has already glanced at me a few times”

“Is he irritated?”

“It is hard to tell.”

“Try then.”

“I think he is curious. Now he is talking no longer. He is looking at me. He is raising his glass. His daughters have turned around. They are also raising their glasses. I believe to you, my lady”

“Point my glass to them” 

“Of course, my lady. He is now smiling. He bows, and his daughters as well.”

“Would you say it is a sarcastic smile?”

“No, he seems to be in good spirits. His daughters walk away, and now a man has approached him. He is whispering something into Lord Štitar’s ear. He seems to be a servant of his”

“Alright, let him be. We have to continue keeping Lord Štitar in good spirits. Let us go back to Lord Sotonić. What is he up to?”

“A lady is talking to him. He seems to be… irritated by her. He does not seem to be listening to her. He is more focused on his drink”

“I believe that is Lady Sotonić. Thank the heavens that she exists. She is the actual captain of our navy and not him. He would probably drink all the money away or drown. Or worse, put the ships on fire. On purpose as well. Tell me more”

“He is walking away from the lady, still focused on drinking. Someone is inviting her to dance… Now she is dancing.”

“With whom?”

“He is young. Wearing a brown coat, brown hair as well, and a bearded face. I do not know him.”

“He is probably someone’s son, but won't get the inheritance so he is trying to seduce Lady Sotonić to get to that position. Are they still dancing?”

“Yes”

“Are they intimate?”

“It is hard to tell. Lady Sotonić is having fun and knows how to dance. So does he… But, it does not seem they know each other. I just can't tell anything”

“What is your intuition telling you?”

“They do not know each other”

“Keep an eye on them. What about the overall atmosphere?”

“Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. The music is playing, there is a lot of dancing, feasting–”

“Are they getting drunk?”

“Whom, my lady?”

“The guests?

“I would say so. Some are more drunk than others, but it is like any other wedding” 

“To have many weddings have you been?”

“Many, but never of such importance, and with this many nobility, my lady” 

“How do you imagine your wedding, Charlotte?”

“I do not imagine I will ever have one”

“Why not?”

“I cannot see myself living that long, and even if I did, being tied to one person for the rest of my life is not something that I find terribly appealing.” 

“Why do you think you will not live long, Charlotte? Please do speak up, the hubbub is unbearable”

“We live in a dangerous world and an even more dangerous kingdom. None of my peers are alive.” 

“Do come closer, I want to confide you something”

“Charlotte… you are not your peers, you are the eyes of a queen. That means you are protected, no matter where you go, do you understand that? All you have to do is avoid being naive, or doing foolish things for the sake of love”

“Thank you, my lady”

“Let me touch your face, everyone keeps telling me how much you have grown”

“Are those tears, Charlotte? Do not cry, you will be alright, just stay by my side, and heed my advice” 

“Of course, my lady. Thank you. I will be forever grateful to you” 

“My lady… the commander wishes to speak to you”

“Which commander, Charlotte? Do be more specific”

“Commander of the city guard, Lord Kuč”

“Always introduce them by their name Charlotte, we went over this. Did the grandiosity of this wedding overwhelm your wits?”

“Lord Kuč, come forward” 

“My lady… I”

“My lady… forgive me, but I have to come a bit closer… Lord Kuč seems to want to tell you something discreetly, he wants your permission for it” 

“Of course, Lord Kuč, please do say it in a manner you find fit”

“My lady… there are still no signs of their soldiers infiltrating the city. I am keeping a sharp eye on any peculiar activities, but I worry. We expected to see something by now. I worry that they plan some sort of trap or a trick”

“Keep an eye on each soul that leaves and enters this city. You do have your men in this hall, in case they attempt anything?”

“Of course”

“I am here to tell you that I allow if you, in any moment or place, feel the need to go down a more violent path. Never hesitate, do you hear me. Go for the kill if the threat is there. Do you understand, Lord Kuč?”

“I do, my lady. Is there anything you want me to do?”

“Did you find out anything while your men were eavesdropping on Lord Štitar?”

“Nothing, my lady. As I expected, he mostly talks about trivial and irrelevant things. Mostly, with his daughters. He has not conversed with anyone else, which might be a sign”

“That is uncommon. Do you think he will keep his daughters here, all night?”

“I expected him to take them away hours ago, but they are still here”

“If you can see them, what are they doing”

“One is dancing, and one is… just a moment my lady I cannot seem to find the older one… there she is. She is all alone. She is leaning on a pillar”

“What is she doing?”

“Right now, nothing. She is mostly looking around”

“Is she drinking?”

“No, my lady”

“How about Lord Štitar, is he drinking?”

“No, my lady”

“That is what I would do if I were planning a coup, my Lord Kuč. I would want to have a sober head. So, his first child, also his favorite one, is not drinking either. Are the rumors true that he values her council more than anyone else’s?”

“Wherever he goes, my lady, she follows. For these past few years, she has not been leaving his side. Many are saying he plans to make her the heir to the Štitar lands”

“Really? A woman? I thought he would name that crazy brother of his. He is crazy, but he is even more cunning than him. His ways have always been special”

“Some are already saying he has made the decree official”

“It will be only made official once he names her heir in front of me, and once I allow it

“That is precisely what he wants to avoid doing. He finds it humiliating. He wants to make the ruler keep their nose out of his family’s business”

“Huh, and I cannot help and find that reasonable. But, that immediately threatens the safety of my family. We cannot let him outwit us. Go, now Lord Kuč, and send news”

“Yes, my lady. Please, stay safe”

“Charlotte, where is Lady Štitar right now? The older one?”

“She is leaning onto a pillar, my lady”

“Is she far away from her father?”

“Not quite. She is two pillars away from him”

“Two pillars away?”

“Yes, my lady. He is also leaning on a pillar”

“What are they doing?”

“Nothing.”

“Be more specific, Charlotte!”

“They are merely looking around, and from time to time to each other”

“Is either drinking?”

“No.”

“Charlotte, do not make it obvious but keep an eye on them. Always be aware of what they are doing, but do not make it obvious!”

“I understand my lady”

“When I ask you about them, you will immediately answer, and do not look at them. They must not know that you are spying on them”

“Spying, my lady?”

“No questions, Charlotte. Just do as I tell you” 

“Yes, my lady.”

“The people seem to be growing louder. Am I missing something, Charlotte?”

“I believe people are getting more drunk.”

“What about the prince and the princess?”

“They are dancing my lady.”

“Do you think they are fond of one another?”

“I cannot tell my lady. They seem rather shy”

“Reasonable, they are mere children.”

“Charlotte, signal my guard to come over”

“Yes, my lady”

“Is he here?”

“He is bowing to you, and coming up the stairs. Lord Drobnjak is waiting for your signal to approach”

“Do approach Lord Drobnjak”

“My lady, I am at your service”

“Lord Drobnjak, stay by my side. You have to promise me that without any hesitation, you will take the prince and princess out of the hall, and lead them to safety. You know which safety place I speak of”

“.... Lord Drobnjak… I know you are looking at Charlotte for answers, but she has nothing to tell you”

“I am sorry, my lady. Is something going on that I am not aware of?”

“Lord Drobnjak, answer my question”

“Yes, my lady. I know which safety place you speak of. Are the prince and the princess aware of this, my lady?”

“Yes, Lord Drobnjak. Stay by my side, and if I give you the order to take them to safety, will you do so? Yes or no”

“Yes, my lady. I only serve you, and no one else”

“Good. Stay here, by my left, opposite Charlotte, and keep an eye on the newly married ones.”

“Yes, my lady”

“My lady. Lord Štitar and his daughter”

“What about them? Come closer”

“My lady, they are talking to each other. It seems that he is giving her his blessings. They are hugging. Now… she seems to be leaving. He follows her with his gaze as she leaves. As of this moment, she is leaving the hall, and two guards are now following her”

“Are they wearing their colors”

“Yes, my lady”

“What about the younger one, where is she?”

“She…uhm, just a moment my lady… She does not seem to be in the hall”

“Charlotte, do not tell me that you have lost her!”

“My lady, she is not here. She was just here”

“So, both of his daughters have left. That is what I would do. I would rid the battlefield of any distractions”

“My lady, what did you say? I did not hear you”

“Nothing. Where is lord Štitar right now?”

“He just talked to some of his guards, and now… He is looking at you, my lady” 

“Is he still looking?”

“Yes”

“Tell me when he stops looking”

“He is looking no more”

“Lord Drobnjak, act as if I am not speaking to you”

“Yes, my lady”

“Go do what you promised to do”

“At once, my lady”

“Did he leave?”

“Yes, my lady. He is approaching them”

“Good. Notify me once they leave the hall, and how lord Štitar reacts”

“He is following them with his gaze. They have left the hall”

“Did more guards join Lord Drobnjak”

“Yes, four of them”

“Good. Has anyone else noticed?”

“I do not think so. Everyone is too drunk”

“That is both good and bad. Go back to Lord Štitar”

“He is looking up… where the castle guards are placed. In the niche balconies”

“Charlotte, I want you to lunge under the table once anything unusual happens. Is that understood?”

“My lady, I do not–”

“No questions, Charlotte! Trust me, and heed my order. You will come out only when I tell you”

“What was that?”

“What, my lady?”

“I heard something whooshing through the air. Sharply. Look up to your left Charlotte. Immediately!”

“My lady. One of the castle guards has his crossbow aimed at the crowd”

“Where is lord Štitar?”

“I cannot see him”

“Was that a scream?”

“My lady! The guards are shooting their arrows at the crowd”

“Now everyone is screaming. Under the table Charlotte, immediately!”

“What about you, my lady?”

“Under the table!”

“Protect the queen! Long shields out!”

“Charlotte, are you with me?”

“Yes, my lady”

“Do not cry. No arrows will pierce these shields. You need to be my eyes again. Have a peek. Tell me who is being targeted.”

“There is mayhem my lady. I cannot see”

“Yes, you can. Concentrate!”

“It is the lord and ladies of the families of the south, their children as well… the families of the west”

“Those are all his allies… Impossible”

“Who is that?! Someone just entered the hall”

“It is lord Kuč, my lady. With some soldiers”

“Ready your arrows! Aim high! Fire”

“They are taking down the archers from the niche balconies”

“Where is lord Štitar?”

“I cannot find him” 

“My lady, soldiers are entering the hall. They are a unit. They are not ours. We have to get you to safety, my lady!”

“Lord Kuč, what is going on?”

“Slaughter! We have to get you out of here. This is not all of them. There is a whole infantry coming up the stairs. Somehow we missed them. We stopped a larger force on the bridge”

“Who are they?! The Štitari?! Who?!”

“It is the Sotonići, my lady. They came here with their ships. We expected them by land, just so we could see the port being raided by an armada. It is the Sotonići and their allies. They—”

“What just happened Charlotte?!”

“They shot him down! Lord Kuč! He is dead”

“My queen!”

“Lord Drobnjak! Did you bring them to safety?”

“Yes, do not worry. We have to get you out of here. We have to keep moving”

“On which side of the hall are we Charlotte?”

“The southern. They are still entering the hall through the northern gate!”

“Why do I hear multiple steps coming from the steps?! Are we being surrounded?”

“My lady, stay by my side”

“Lord Drobnjak, what–”

“Men! Hold your place! Spears out!”

“My lady, Štitar soldiers are coming up the stairs”

“Is their lord with them?”

“No, my lady”

“They have climbed up”

“My lady, the Sotonići are just behind us!” 

“Hold my hand, Charlotte, and do not fear”

“Shields! Swords out! Advance!” 

“I know that voice. That traitor!”

“My lady they are advancing towards the Sotonići.”

“Charlotte, what are you talking about?”

“They are fighting them back, and lord Štitar is approaching us”

“My lady, I know a way out. My soldiers will clear them out, but we have to get you to safety”

“Lord Štitar?”

“I am not the traitor here, my queen. Take my hand”

February 24, 2023 20:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Wendy Kaminski
03:21 Feb 25, 2023

Great action story, Ksenija! The fact that you did this solely on dialogue is impressive, to say the least! And what a great twist, too! Really excellent tale and I would have read more! :)

Reply

Ksenija Rubež
22:45 Feb 25, 2023

Thank you so much, Wendy! I am so glad you enjoyed the story. I might even write a sequel to it ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa VanGalen
13:30 Mar 02, 2023

This is certainly a story which could be expanded into a novella. Well done.

Reply

Ksenija Rubež
13:37 Mar 02, 2023

Hello Lisa, Thank you so much for the support. I seriously am considering expanding the story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.